Scottish Cup Final 2023 - ICT v Celtic

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Duffy - 9/10. Most people would’ve picked him to be dropped but he was our best player. Dealt magnificently with Maeda and put in a superb cross for the goal.

Pre-match I suggested that Duffy might start but the convincing argument was that Carson would continue at right back and Duffy's half time withdrawal against Ayr would count against him.

Fair play to both Duffy and Dodds for being determined enough to achieve what they did yesterday.

Duffy was indeed a cup final standout and for a young player, that's a delight.

6 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I think they take it from the shirt sleeve.

So if the ball hit you on your BCG scar you'd be ok.

Moral of the story, always wear long sleeves then you can handball it with your arms as much as you'd like.

You have to be a particular kind of idiot to be arrested whilst going to the football and special was the individual in our section that missed his team celebrating a cup victory because he couldn't resist the need to be triumphant in a tragic peacocking display that included deployment of his fists.

I hope all the Inverness fans had a great day despite the result especially the kid that called the correct score to his friend outside the West Stand when I went for a walk around Hampden pre-match.  No European football but hopefully the cheque will enable you to have a good crack at promotion next season.

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

While the Caley fans were enjoying the day and soaking up the pre-match atmosphere, Celtic fans were being totally normal as always.

https://twitter.com/ncceltic/status/1665282439747338241?s=46&t=bQ9pEfbPSN-c1y-bmjkt7w

Missing the point spectacularly here. A hint - check the two officers in orange hats.

Does anyone know about police identification, I was looking around the internet on what the different epaulettes mean? There should be rank and number fully visible. Is there any difference between uniforms across Scotland for each region?

2 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

:lol: No point missed at all. Just incredibly sad and weird that someone has spent time taking pictures of the Polis instead of enjoying the day. 

Found a couple with orange hats on though. One had a yellowish orange hat too. As a member of the fashion police 👮‍♀️ I want an explanation. 

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

:lol: No point missed at all. Just incredibly sad and weird that someone has spent time taking pictures of the Polis instead of enjoying the day. 

Totally agree but that video in the link with the champions league music is funny. 

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

While the Caley fans were enjoying the day and soaking up the pre-match atmosphere, Celtic fans were being totally normal as always.

https://twitter.com/ncceltic/status/1665282439747338241?s=46&t=bQ9pEfbPSN-c1y-bmjkt7w

The ICT fans I was near were singing sectarian songs. Does this count as soaking up the atmosphere?

Duffy was outstanding on Saturday as was Harper although the latter was often the target of balls inside him which seemed to be Celtic's most effective way of carving us open. I thought we did quite well for the most part letting Celtic have the ball, trying to be quite stuffy and hard to breakdown though it did make for some uncomfortable viewing at times as, when Celtic clicked, they only needed a few passes to create a decent chance.

No complaints about the score and at least we got to celebrate a goal that gave us a faint glimmer of hope for a few minutes. Probably a bit defeatist but whatever. A grand day out in the sun and one that we might not get to experience again for a while. 

On 03/06/2023 at 20:11, HibeeJibee said:

Where does this "8 trebles is a new world record" stat come from...?

Linfield seem to have the same.

What's now the NIFL Cup only got introduced in 1986 as the IFL Cup... Linfield have 3 trebles in it (1993-94, 2005-06, 2007-08) but they also won 5 trebles in predecessor Gold Cup (1921-22, 1949-50, 1961-62, 1979-80, 1981-82).

Down the decades our leagues and league cup have also altered their names and governing bodies.

Interesting. Also how many countries afford teams the opportunity for a domestic treble?

16 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Interesting. Also how many countries afford teams the opportunity for a domestic treble?

Yeah, the vast majority of countries have only 1 domestic cup tournament in which the top sides take part.

According to Wikipedia, the following European counties have a league cup or secondary cup competition and thus the chance to win a Treble.

England

Scotland

Finland

Iceland 

Republic of Ireland

Israel

Northern Ireland

Portugal

Russia 

Wales

I am now going down a wiki hole about how many teams have won the Finnish treble.

16 hours ago, ICTChris said:

According to Wikipedia, the following European counties have a league cup or secondary cup competition and thus the chance to win a Treble.

England

Scotland

Finland

Iceland 

Republic of Ireland

Israel

Northern Ireland

Portugal

Russia 

Wales

I am now going down a wiki hole about how many teams have won the Finnish treble.

Worth pointing out (its really not) that many countrie such as France, Spain and Germany did at one point have a secondary cup

Many more have had a League Cup which isn't currently contested. Leaving aside minnows or countries that have come along since the break-up of the Eastern Bloc: my recollection is the only major leagues never to have had such are Italy and the Netherlands. PSG won a load of trebles recently and a quick look on Wiki has cases from Switzerland, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Malta etc.

Incidentally you'd do well to better Linfield in 1961-62 who won 7 first-team trophies plus lost in European Cup R1 to Vortwarts Berlin:

Irish League     (22 games + tiebreak playoff)
City Cup             (11 games - supplementary league)

All-Ireland North-South Cup     (4 rounds over 2 legs with 1 replay)

Irish Cup         (4 rounds)
Gold Cup        (4 rounds with 3 replays)
Ulster Cup     (5 group games + 2 tiebreak playoffs + Final)

County Antrim Shield     (3 rounds)

Edited by HibeeJibee