Stranraer 2023-24

Genuine commiserations to Stranraer, I was obviously praying it was you rather than us, but please thump EK next couple of weeks.  Wouldn’t want to take a ticket away from a Stranraer fan but I would love to be there next week for the away game.

All the best.

The late goal at NDP was literally the difference between the 2 teams. Very fine margins.

Good luck in the playoffs.

BTW how long is Matty Grant contracted for ? Impressive player, would Imagine a few clubs would be sniffing around whether you stay up or not.

Relegation would obviously cause financial difficulties for the Club, and may of necessity provoke some thinking about the Club’s structure. As a member’s club we can’t:

·        overspend, go bust and leave the creditors in the lurch, and then create a new company to ‘continue’ the club

·        overspend, go into administration and leave the creditors in the lurch, and then continue with debts wiped out

·        run up debts with owners then writing these off when ownership transferred to others

·        burn through shareholders’ investments to cover losses year on year

·        effectively trade insolvently (in some cases year-on-year) with directors declaring that the club continues to be a going concern because of guarantees from directors to pay bills when they fall due or based on assurances from lenders that loans won’t be called in. (Their heirs may take a different view.)

·        issuing new shares regularly to bring more money into the club, either to cover debts or to “buy” promotion

As a members’ club the members would be potentially liable for debts if it goes bust, whereas shareholders are only liable for the amount of their individual investment. So maybe we should look at a company structure, although attracting funds may be difficult given the lack of wealth in our area.

But there’s also a challenge of location post-relegation. Others have commented on the affordability of busing in a team each week for home games. Some argue that this is the wrong model and that we should rely on local talent. Have a look at the end of season South of Scotland League table to see how well that would work. But that may be the future if relegation to the West isn’t available to us.

I think there’s a real danger that over the years the SPFL will end up as essentially a lowlands league (with a few clubs in and around the population centres in the North between Inverness and Aberdeen) as running semi-professional teams will be unaffordable in more sparsely populated areas. Of course the authorities could make this easier by more fairly spreading the sponsorship income both within the SPFL, and in the Tier 5 feeder leagues. And also by trying to reduce the costs of running teams (e.g. doctor in attendance at games, unnecessary administrative burdens)

48 minutes ago, BullyWeeClydeFc said:

Having this playoff means you can’t go to the driving range and get some more golfclubs 😘 enjoy LL x

Reminded me to ask, what action did Clyde take against the Clyde fan arrested at that game?

Good luck Stranraer, first team I saw Stenhousemuir play well over 57 years ago and also the opposition team when my daughter was the Warriors mascot. Do everyone a favour and come out on top.