2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Knowing the SFA's casual relationship with the truth, I sure as hell wouldn't be believing their version of events.

Says a lot for Buckie’s relationship with the concept of playing more than an hour from Queen Victoria Park that most aren’t believing them. Well, most on forums anyway - Pussbook is riddled with ‘Poor Buckie’ and ‘SFA stitch up’ but the clever, handsome folks on here and FitbaNorth have immediately seen through Buckie’s nonsense

8 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

B teams weren't allowed in the pyramid. Things can change. Seems crap for the teams in the Highland League (and West Premier), that the Champion not being licenced means no one gets the chance to go up

Why is it crap for them? Unlike the pyramid anorak brigade who obsess about ventilation!!!111!!! on this website, I really doubt that Huntly and Largs fans really define their seasons by whether a completely different club gets promoted or not to a different league. 

Looking at Buckie's statement it seems their argument is that they didn't need to ask for the grace period before 31 March for being promoted without having a bronze licence, because they were going to have their bronze licence sorted and still will have it ready for next season, having had a judgement deferred to 15 May for the one item they're failing on currently?

Stupid of them not to just ask for the grace period before 31 March anyway when the rules are very clear that you need to have the licence sorted or grace period granted before the playoff. However the SPFL Rules do also say that the SPFL board has the absolute right to grant grace periods at their discretion even if the rules haven't been complied with, so they theoretically could have just intervened here and said aye, go ahead with the playoff provided you'll have it sorted by 15 May as promised.

Of course they're not required to do that and Buckie should have done things properly in the first place, but East Kilbride need to be stopped.

18 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t understand how in 2017 Buckie were eligible to participate in the play-off (they lost against EK) but in 2024 they are not. Have the rules changed? 

Every year, I think...

10 hours ago, TheScarf said:

So could Strathspey be nominated by the HL to play EK then? Why does it have to be Brechin? 

This is where I have to take off my Brechin bonnet and say that I don't think it should be passed down.

As much as "an externally funded billy big baws club without a decent ground shouldn't stop the progression of other ambitious clubs" might seem a sound principle, it would be absolutely mental for every playoff semi-final to be LL winners vs Strathspey (in a hypothetical case that Brechin didn't have bronze, or has been promoted already).  Saying "give it to the next team down as long as they're not a certain standard of pi5h" doesn't seem particularly practical.

42 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I don’t understand how in 2017 Buckie were eligible to participate in the play-off (they lost against EK) but in 2024 they are not. Have the rules changed? 

Yes, clubs are now required to have a bronze licence to enter the playoffs. It was previously entry. This is a very recent change. It is probably in reaction to five established SPFL clubs being relegated in recent years.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

This is where I have to take off my Brechin bonnet and say that I don't think it should be passed down.

As much as "an externally funded billy big baws club without a decent ground shouldn't stop the progression of other ambitious clubs" might seem a sound principle, it would be absolutely mental for every playoff semi-final to be LL winners vs Strathspey (in a hypothetical case that Brechin didn't have bronze, or has been promoted already).  Saying "give it to the next team down as long as they're not a certain standard of pi5h" doesn't seem particularly practical.

That, and the fact that it's the champions who take part in the play offs, not the team who finish 2nd/8th/12th/18th.  Brechin or any of the other Highland League teams simply must win the league if they want to try to be promoted.  It's as black and white as that.

4 minutes ago, stanley said:

Yes, clubs are now required to have a bronze licence to enter the playoffs. It was previously entry. This is a very recent change. It is probably in reaction to five established SPFL clubs being relegated in recent years.

Yeah, its effectively a back door way of trying to stop relegation from League Two but still having the relegation play off. 

13 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I don’t think our leagues should have clubs which are technically insolvent and where the ‘investment’ is a statement by directors/owners that they will pay the bills if necessary.

Hey QP here,

Isn't it an unintended consequence of the Bronze license is that those clubs are the ones best placed to benefit? Those are the clubs who can afford to upgrade their facilities with zero or minimal restrictions on the current playing squad budget.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

The rules change every single year. Club licensing is a never ending fight against the tide, like bloody King Canute trying to stop it washing over you constantly!

I see they are not compliant on the Diversity and Inclusion point. They have my sympathy. It's an absolute nightmare to comply with that sort of thing and it only came in a couple of years ago and was made far more stringent last year.

41 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yeah, its effectively a back door way of trying to stop relegation from League Two but still having the relegation play off. 

It's not though. EK have a licence. There will be a relegation playoff and arguably EK will now be better prepared for it than they would otherwise have been. I also acknowledge there's an argument that sitting idle for a fortnight before is less than ideal.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It's not though. EK have a licence. There will be a relegation playoff and arguably EK will now be better prepared for it than they would otherwise have been. I also acknowledge there's an argument that sitting idle for a fortnight before is less than ideal.

They could maybe arrange  a couple of friendlies with, say, Buckie...

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

On this occasion, there's one club who can enter the playoff but next season there might be none. It is certainly an extra barrier to clubs being promoted to the SPFL.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Looking at Buckie's statement it seems their argument is that they didn't need to ask for the grace period before 31 March for being promoted without having a bronze licence, because they were going to have their bronze licence sorted and still will have it ready for next season, having had a judgement deferred to 15 May for the one item they're failing on currently?

Stupid of them not to just ask for the grace period before 31 March anyway when the rules are very clear that you need to have the licence sorted or grace period granted before the playoff. However the SPFL Rules do also say that the SPFL board has the absolute right to grant grace periods at their discretion even if the rules haven't been complied with, so they theoretically could have just intervened here and said aye, go ahead with the playoff provided you'll have it sorted by 15 May as promised.

Of course they're not required to do that and Buckie should have done things properly in the first place, but East Kilbride need to be stopped.

Sounds to me like Buckie were saying one thing to the SPFL, another to the SFA and yet another to the HL.

A spokesperson for the Scottish FA: “The Licensing Committee considered a range of eligibility criteria in respect of Buckie Thistle’s application.

“Unfortunately, the submission did not meet the requirements for the award of a Bronze licence.

“All SHFL and SLFL clubs were written to in December last year to advise that the audit process would be accelerated for those clubs with a chance of promotion, in light of the SPFL’s updated membership criteria requirements. The Scottish FA’s club licensing department has been in regular dialogue with Buckie Thistle since then to notify the club of, and provide ample time to address, issues highlighted in their Club Licensing Report.

“Unfortunately, these issues were not addressed by the club prior to yesterday’s licensing committee decision.”

AN SPFL spokesperson said: “Every club was made aware in summer last year of the need to have a Scottish FA Bronze Licence to participate in the SPFL. Regrettably, Buckie Thistle failed to respond to any of the three subsequent follow-up letters sent in October, February and March.

“They are not compliant with SPFL Rules and failed to apply for a period of grace by the 31 March 2024 deadline. The SPFL Board has huge sympathy for Buckie and their fans, but has no option but to enforce our Rules.”

Meanwhile, Highland League secretary John Campbell said the league had been working with clubs to ensure they were doing everything possible to obtain their bronze licence in time for the start of the 2024-25 campaign.

He told the Press and Journal: “The Highland League is extremely disappointed by the events of today and that the pyramid play-offs have been cancelled.

“All clubs were notified by the SPFL of the criteria for season 2024-25 on October 31 2023.

“The league has had a working group running exploring all aspects of the bronze award.

“As far as we were aware all clubs with a chance of promotion to the SPFL play-offs were following due process.

“The Highland League had a responsibility to put forward a champion club and have done so in the time given.

“Club licensing awards are a matter for each individual club.

“We were notified late today (Thursday) that Buckie Thistle did not meet the criteria for progression into the SPFL, which is a prerequisite for participation in the play-offs.

“The Scottish FA had no choice other than to cancel the play-offs between Buckie Thistle and East Kilbride.

“We would like to pass on our best wishes to East Kilbride on their up and coming play-off against club 42.”

2 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

Scottish football uniting behind renowned good guys...

*checks L2 table*

Clyde

Clyde - the lesser of two evils.

Hoping East Fife do their part in stopping EK and consign Clyde to 10th tomorrow, as they probably have a better chance of winning the play off than Stranraer.

Buckie have made another statement.

Buckie Thistle Football Club would like to issue the following addition to last night's statement on the SPFL Pyramid Play-offs:

"The club is endeavouring to get to the bottom of the decision to remove us from this weekend's play-off semi final against East Kilbride FC."

"Club officials attended meetings and had discussions with both the SPFL and SFA on Tuesday and Wednesday this week, but no indication was given at any point that Saturday's fixture was in doubt."

"Attached is a screenshot from the Decision Note issued by the SFA, which clearly states a decision on the Bronze Licence is deferred until the 15th of May. Buckie Thistle were awarded derogations on 3 of the items mentioned, and given until 15th May to resolve the Medical items."

"After further discussions with the SFA this morning, we are now looking into the possibility of taking this to Arbitration, as per Article 99 of the SFA handbook."

"Further updates will be provided in due course."

image.png.01f1f2e753b9fb209bfadd4f96417a50.png