The Hamilton Accies League 1 thread

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

McGlynn is very good at getting people onside and all our players love him. As for Tait, he's only been here a month and a half but we haven't seen anything on the field to criticise him for. He works hard, shows for the ball and genuinely looks to be a very good player. His arrival undoubtedly improved our squad. 

Well we were, at best, second best anyway. So we're told. It's only natural when the BEST SQUAD IN THE LEAGUE ™ gives us a player, we improve.

lol 

56 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

McGlynn is very good at getting people onside and all our players love him. As for Tait, he's only been here a month and a half but we haven't seen anything on the field to criticise him for. He works hard, shows for the ball and genuinely looks to be a very good player. His arrival undoubtedly improved our squad. 

Yeah that's fair enough he did do well with McGlynn at Raith and that got him the Hibs move and his career has fallen a bit since then so be interesting to see if McGlynn manages to get him back to his best also be interesting to see if he stays permanently in the summer at Falkirk.

51 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Well we were, at best, second best anyway. So we're told. It's only natural when the BEST SQUAD IN THE LEAGUE ™ gives us a player, we improve.

lol 

Can't remember anyone saying that but OK. 

Absolute dire from start to finish.

We are set for another season in this league as there is no way we could or deserve promotion. Part time next season and crowds down to under 500

On 07/03/2024 at 09:02, Todd_is_God said:

I think we have a squad capable of beating most of the bottom half of the Championship tbh. OK we’ve fucked our chances of the league quite solidly over the last few months, but I still think our squad is pretty decent. Leaving aside the “best squad in the league” patter for a moment I said earlier in the season I thought both us and Falkirk had squads that were too good for this league and I stand by that.

Our biggest barrier is Rankin.

I would prefer not to play Inverness though as I just cba going up there

This ongoing theme that accies have somehow fucked it up themselves is absolute Narnia nonsense....no team apart from sevco have destroyed this division like us....just be happy a tinpot club with a few hundred supporters have so far kept the gap under 20 points 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

This ongoing theme that accies have somehow fucked it up themselves is absolute Narnia nonsense....no team apart from sevco have destroyed this division like us....just be happy a tinpot club with a few hundred supporters have so far kept the gap under 20 points 

We have lost games and dropped stupid points to teams we shouldn’t have….so , as far as that goes, we have fucked it up ourselves , no ? 

2 minutes ago, G51 Red said:

We have lost games and dropped stupid points to teams we shouldn’t have….so , as far as that goes, we have fucked it up ourselves , no ? 

We used to have that attitude which is part of the reason we spent years in this hell hole of a division. Once you recognise that other teams have a say in the matter and aren’t just an inconvenience, then the healing might begin. 

1 minute ago, StuartA said:

We used to have that attitude which is part of the reason we spent years in this hell hole of a division. Once you recognise that other teams have a say in the matter and aren’t just an inconvenience, then the healing might begin. 

That’s fair enough, however, with all due respect to the other teams in this league , Accies would have been expecting to deal with all of them apart from Falkirk , who the club would be expecting to be competing with at the top of the division. 
So by dropping points at home to the other teams ( and by not getting any where near Falkirk) we have fucked it up ourselves. 
As I have said before , fair play to Falkirk , best team in the league by far , and to have the chance to go through a league season undefeated is incredible . 
But , me thinks that the club would have expected to be closer to them ( if not top) than we are …. So again we have fucked it up regardless of the other teams . 

11 minutes ago, G51 Red said:

That’s fair enough, however, with all due respect to the other teams in this league , Accies would have been expecting to deal with all of them apart from Falkirk , who the club would be expecting to be competing with at the top of the division. 
So by dropping points at home to the other teams ( and by not getting any where near Falkirk) we have fucked it up ourselves. 
As I have said before , fair play to Falkirk , best team in the league by far , and to have the chance to go through a league season undefeated is incredible . 
But , me thinks that the club would have expected to be closer to them ( if not top) than we are …. So again we have fucked it up regardless of the other teams . 

Even if you had been a little closer, 2nd place is still 2nd place. No chance accies were ever going to pip that Falkirk side to the tittle. 

5 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Even if you had been a little closer, 2nd place is still 2nd place. No chance accies were ever going to pip that Falkirk side to the tittle. 

True …. But it would have been nice to at least made Falkirks job a wee bit harder …

5 minutes ago, G51 Red said:

True …. But it would have been nice to at least made Falkirks job a wee bit harder …

That’s fair enough. All I’m saying is Accies’ situation looks eerily similar to ours over past few years. Not having a dig btw. 

48 minutes ago, G51 Red said:

No. This certainty, this absolute conviction, that the mere fact of Rankin not being in your dugout would have had you up challenging a team still unbeaten in the league in mid-March is pure and utter hypothesis. Because there is no guarantee whatsoever that any theoretical replacement for Rankin, whether last summer, January, whenever, would have automatically prevented you from dropping "stupid points". Who's to say "Gerry" would not have appointed an even bigger numpty, an even bigger incompetent, and you'd instead be staring at a 30-point gap, never mind 17. That scenario is never entertained by any of your fans it seems. No Rankin = guaranteed and significant improvement seems to be the simple and unequivocal calculation. that has been made. It's utter nonsense. 

Best stick to the facts. You've had the misfortune to come up against a far bigger club and a far better team on a quite ridiculous run of form. Rankin or no Rankin, you were not getting close to winning the league this season. Good luck in the play-offs, especially if you come up against the Pars and that utter cretin McPake.

18 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Best stick to the facts. You've had the misfortune to come up against a far bigger club and a far better team on a quite ridiculous run of form. Rankin or no Rankin, you were not getting close to winning the league this season. Good luck in the play-offs, especially if you come up against the Pars and that utter cretin McPake.

The facts are that Alloa have picked up 4 more points than us since the first quarter. Cove and Montrose not far behind and I expect they will both be above us in this table by the end of the season. We were good in the first 9 games but since then we've been disappointing most weeks and apart from 2 5-0 wins against QOTS and Kelly we've really not been good enough. Also not to mention that Rankin got us relegated last season this is not his first season i think Falkirk fans keep forgetting that. Nobody is denying that Falkirk are a good team and have the best squad in this league and definitely deserve to win the league however that doesn't change the fact that Rankin has made a complete mess of this season and shouldn't be staying another second.Screenshot_20240310_134650_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.fcf6f2674b20ef31fbb7b32ebad0c1c3.jpg

Can't speak for my fellow accies fans but as far as I was concerned, there was never an expectancy to win the league or even gain promotion at the first time of asking (look at the first post in this thread as proof of this)

The reason why Rankin is so universally unpopular is his total ineptitude for the role. Folk like myself have been here before and being in the basement of scottish football is not a new experience.

But, watching dug shit football from a team with no management is why we are scunnered. He will fail in the play offs, will be here next year and will fail again. That is why we are unhappy and want him gone. He is the new yogi Hughes, when he is eventually emptied, he won't be a manager again (he has a proven record as a coach and may return to similar role, but a manager he is not)

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

No. This certainty, this absolute conviction, that the mere fact of Rankin not being in your dugout would have had you up challenging a team still unbeaten in the league in mid-March is pure and utter hypothesis. Because there is no guarantee whatsoever that any theoretical replacement for Rankin, whether last summer, January, whenever, would have automatically prevented you from dropping "stupid points". Who's to say "Gerry" would not have appointed an even bigger numpty, an even bigger incompetent, and you'd instead be staring at a 30-point gap, never mind 17. That scenario is never entertained by any of your fans it seems. No Rankin = guaranteed and significant improvement seems to be the simple and unequivocal calculation. that has been made. It's utter nonsense. 

Never mentioned Rankin ….

3 hours ago, Hugh Hillshaveyes said:

That tinpot club beat you in a Play Off I remember to consign you to a decade in the lower divisions while we were winning at Ibrox(x2),Parkhead,beating Hibs,Hearts, and Dundee United all considerably bigger clubs than you.

3 hours ago, G51 Red said:

No.

You obviously haven’t been good enough.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

4 hours ago, G51 Red said:

EVERY club loses games and / or drops stupid points to teams that they shouldn't throughout a season, ourselves included. Do it less often than every other team in your league and you are the champions. We have done it less often than your team so that is why we are going to win this league. We are winning the league because we are better than you, not because you have fucked it up.

#secondbestsquadintheleague

Edited by Bairn in Exile

37 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

No.

You obviously haven’t been good enough.

So by not being good enough we fucked it up ….