US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I thought it was noticeable how quiet my twitter feed was this morning. Had Trump won, the usual engagement farming posts would have clogged it up big time.

The only stuff I'm getting is about ABC bias about fact-checking - and that is getting the arse ripped out of it by other tweets.

If Trump didn't make up so many obvious f**king lies he wouldn't need to be fact-checked.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

Who actually votes based on Taylor Swift ? Won't most of her fans be too young anyway ?

Seeing a few MAGA lads very unhappy at some other MAGA lads for making up the pets thing and Donald repeating it.

Just now, welshbairn said:

He's clearly deranged, has no filter, and fell into every one of her traps.

However, his thick supporters wont change their votes.

Perhaps it all hinges on anyone who was "undecided".............but I am not clear how many of them exist in the US.

Maybe his wild takes on abortion rights will swing it?

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

He's clearly deranged, has no filter, and fell into every one of her traps.

However, his thick supporters wont change their votes.

Perhaps it all hinges on anyone who was "undecided".............but I am not clear how many of them exist in the US.

Maybe his wild takes on abortion rights will swing it?

There will be hardly any undecideds, it will be decided on turnout imo. I think the enthusiasm factor will have swung marginally to Harris after that, and the Dems will be swamping the key states with attack ads featuring clips from the debate.

Lots of pets get abandoned and have to be put down.  Why not give them to the Haitians to eat.  They can have organised barbecues and eat cats and dogs whilst listening to Taylor Swift.

Makes sense to me…

Having watched a few clips of the debate it looks like Harris was well prepped and Trump not so, probably because he won’t listen to advice from anyone.  He rambled, seemed to be easily baited and his body language was terrible.

I think the Walz v Vance debate could be interesting.  I hope the couch f**ker tries to be humorous because that will fall flat.

Oh, and Taylor Swift’s endorsement is huge.  Pity she hadn’t held back for 24 -48 hours though, might have been more impactful.

5 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I genuinely don’t think people realise the impact she could have on young voters. 

I think I heard on the radio that after she posted on Instagram encouraging people to register to vote something like 35,000 people registered within a day which was the most people in one day for 5 years.

52 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

I genuinely don’t think people realise the impact she could have on young voters. 

Not just young voters, I think she has a fair adult fan base as well, if you look at the media around her tours.

2 hours ago, Cheese said:

Who actually votes based on Taylor Swift ? Won't most of her fans be too young anyway ?

Seeing a few MAGA lads very unhappy at some other MAGA lads for making up the pets thing and Donald repeating it.

Don't think it will change any minds, but it might encourage people who'd have otherwise stayed at home to actually go out and vote.

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Don't think it will change any minds, but it might encourage people who'd have otherwise stayed at home to actually go out and vote.

She's playing to the half dozen or so country and western fans who don't run about with AK47s and haven't fallen down the Qanon or MAGA rabbit hole. 

I wouldn’t know Taylor Swift if she passed me in the street and I wouldn’t recognise any of her songs but to underestimate the importance and significance of her endorsement is every bit as stupid as overestimating it.  To suggest she will only influence people to young to vote is nuts too.

Looking at the fine margins in the swing states a few thousand more people registering and/or voting for Harris could be vital.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Re the last few pages on the real fears about medical insurance in the US, and appreciating personal relationships, work placements, etc., I'm genuinely wondering why anyone who wasn't born in America would choose to live there.

And that's before Trump......

Primarily coz your weather is pish :) 

Opportunity for success in the USA is far greater than UK, its not even close. Almost all expats around my age (55yo) that have been here a good few years and plan on staying, will have a very financially comfortable retirement. 

There’s plenty wrong with America, but I feel I’m providing a better life for my kids here than they would get in the UK.