Player signed you were most excited about...

Who turned out to be dug meat..

Just thinking back a couple of seasons to Reuben Sammut.. tales of him blitzing the beep test in training.. Chelsea product.. absolute boner-fest. And the rest is history.

But I'm not going to pick him. Mine is Danijel Marceta. Came from a real club (partizan belgrade) .. money involved..Slovenian u21 International .. big build up and..bang average is a generous assessment. 

So who got your knickers wet then 6 months later drier than the Gobi desert?

14 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Just thinking back a couple of seasons to Reuben Sammut.. tales of him blitzing the beep test in training.. Chelsea product.. absolute boner-fest. And the rest is history.

But I'm not going to pick him. Mine is Danijel Marceta. Came from a real club (partizan belgrade) .. money involved..Slovenian u21 International .. big build up and..bang average is a generous assessment. 

Falkirk could pick their entire squad from Hartley's season? I can mind your page creaming themselves over almost every signing that season. 

Greek international dreamboat Alex Tziolis - made his debut as a sub for Ian Cathro's Hearts team that beat rangers 4-1 - in a 25 minute cameo, he saw the game out by selling rangers players orgasm inducing dummies. :wub:

His form fell away game by game, and we were glad to see a picture of him waiting for a taxi outside celtic pork to take him to the airport. 

:bairn

Just realised this is the league one forum - apologies , chaps!

Edited by paranoid android

Geoff Mitchell.

8' 3" English non-league striker who very much looked the part in our pre-season games, and we were all pretty excited to see what he could do. Within a couple of games it was very apparent that he wasn't a footballer; slower than treacle and beaten in the air by short players, which seemed to bend the laws of reality. He was released by September.

Last seen getting sent off in his first game for Dunstable Town, before being released again.

I’m sure Leighton McIntosh had just been capped by Scotland u19s and was being linked with a few big clubs when he came on loan to us at the same time as Martin Boyle went to Dundee and done alright but was very underwhelming. He came back a couple of seasons later and was shite.

Jahmal Howlett-Mundle came in on loan from Hearts having joined them after I think being named the Crystal Palace academy player of the year or something. He was only there for 3 games and from memory was absolutely pish.

7 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I’m sure Leighton McIntosh had just been capped by Scotland u19s and was being linked with a few big clubs when he came on loan to us at the same time as Martin Boyle went to Dundee and done alright but was very underwhelming. He came back a couple of seasons later and was shite.

Jahmal Howlett-Mundle came in on loan from Hearts having joined them after I think being named the Crystal Palace academy player of the year or something. He was only there for 3 games and from memory was absolutely pish.

I remember when we signed Jerry O'Driscoll from Dundee back in the 90s.

He'd scored quite a few goals for Dundee and had been capped for Ireland u21s so he looked like a decent prospect.

Unfortunately he was waash and got dumped within a year.

Sylvano Comvalius 

A big 23 year old Dutch striker who came to Stirling in 2010.

His previous two seasons he had scored 14 in 22 and then 15 in 28 . Sure it was the Maltese premier league but was still clearly a prolific striker.

I was buzzing when he signed. Was sure he was gonna smash in the goals

He turned out for us 6 times, 0 goals, 0 assists and was bombed out of the club. 

You could argue he never really got a fair chance to prove himself with just 6 appearances but something just didn't work for him here from the off. He went on to be fairly prolific after us too so we are probably the anomaly here. I was so disappointed 😞 

A pair of Germans and Chic Charnley

• Thomas Stickroth, came to the club on loan from Bayern Uerdegan in March 1990 after a "training ground incident" 🗡️ and looked decent enough leading to Tony Fitzpatrick paying £400k for him (in 1990) quickly settled into mediocrity and was part of the squad relegated from the top flight in 91/92.
  • Jens Paeslak, similar to above, he came to the club on loan at the end of March 2000 and scored a vital goal against Airdrie which helped us get back up to the top flight before getting injured and missing the rest of the season (shoulda been a clue). He was signed permanently during the summer but proved unimpressive in the top flight and left halfway through the season after reports of thievery within the dressing room.⌚
  • Chic Charnley, my all time worst Saints player, he came to us in a complicated swap deal in summer 91 with Partick Thistle which saw us get CC & David Elliot and give them Geordie Shaw & Mark McWalter plus £200k, Thistle clearly got the better of that deal. Like Stickroth he was part of the squad that got relegated that season He continued not to impress in Division 1 and was sacked after acquiring yet another red card against Ayr Utd for spitting in the CC IIRC. He was the most selfish player ever, I recall a game against Raith when he turned backwards and inside 3 times in a row (because he was so left footed) and killed any chance of an attack and another time when he took so long to get into a position to shoot with said left foot he lost possession. IIRC he won nothing at senior level and was relegated from the top flight 3/4 times.

David Hay (curse his name) who managed us during 91/92 should never be allowed back in Paisley, where he was born, not even to be buried!

Edited by btb

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Stevie Logan destroyed us nearly every game against us for Meadowbank.

25k or 30k transfer to us and he never reached close to any of the performances against us.

Ken Mackie was another one.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Falkirk could pick their entire squad from Hartley's season? I can mind your page creaming themselves over almost every signing that season. 

The sleeve tattoos sucked us in sadly.

7 hours ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Reuben Sammut, I remember when Falkirk signed him and being sucked in as an opposition fan that he'd be a fantastic signing, his CV looked nuts. He gave me the fear that Falkirk were going to be a very good side that season. 

He was infact, quite shite. 

There was a goalkeeper that Falkirk had during that time who is talked about as a disaster, but I'm sure he had a stormer against Dunfermline. 

1 minute ago, HoBNob said:

Reuben Sammut, I remember when Falkirk signed him and being sucked in as an opposition fan that he'd be a fantastic signing, his CV looked nuts. He gave me the fear that Falkirk were going to be a very good side that season. 

There was a goalkeeper that Falkirk had during that time who is talked about as a disaster, but I'm sure he had a stormer against Dunfermline. 

Leo Fasan I think you mean, Italian. Utter pish and is now plying his trade in the lower echelons of the Italian league. 

10 hours ago, MrDust said:

Stevie Logan destroyed us nearly every game against us for Meadowbank.

25k or 30k transfer to us and he never reached close to any of the performances against us.

We stole him originally from Clyde too...

We signed Billy McNeill (not that one) who'd been fairly prolific for the Shire but turned out to be not the greatest

On the other hand we got Paul Rutherford from Falkirk after he'd suffered a bad injury and he was class 

12 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Ken Mackie was another one.

Afore my time 

8 hours ago, HoBNob said:

I don't think Sammut was the worst of that batch but many thinking being captain in an EPL u21 team did mean he is the next Stevie Gerrard to some . He would be playing with many Johnny foreigner in that Chelsea team that he may have even got that captain role due to speaking English.

Sammut could've been a squad player for us that season pretty much was, not the superstar that a few thought. If Sammut was all that, he wouldn't be at a 2nd tier Scottish side, like many of the Chelsea youngsters at that time, he'd be English championship or league one in England not with us

Fasan had a stormer against QoS....he made a 3-0 out of what could easily been 10-0, even still if memory is right he should've done better at 1or2 of the goals he did concede that day. He did have a worldy save in him but would roll the ball in the net after that