SFA South Region Challenge Cup 2023-2024

Guest MickGarvey
19 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The SRCC is organised by a committee made up of representatives of each of the four leagues involved. I am not one of those representatives. The competition is administered by a representative of the SoSFL.

Noted, thanks for your transparency.

5 hours ago, Park the Buffs said:

You say there’s room for both tournaments Kennie and technically I suppose you’re right. The problem somebody like Talbot will have is if they have a good cup season (and they usually do) they will be playing league games Monday, Wednesday and Saturday for 2 months at the season end. This in all probability will scupper their chances of league success. The way forward for me is all teams in the top league have floodlights and midweek league games are played throughout the season so that at any stage all the teams in the top league have played the same number of games.

So, you want an 'Elite League' then?

What happens when an Elite team moves up and doesn't get replaced by an Elite team from the Lowland League?

Do we look for the highest placed team with floodlights to come into the Elite League no matter where they finished?

11 minutes ago, Kennie said:

What happens when an Elite team moves up and doesn't get replaced by an Elite team from the Lowland League?

Do we look for the highest placed team with floodlights to come into the Elite League no matter where they finished?

An elite league of 16 teams playing out of soulless Astro turf cages with a hike for a pish and the local chippy for grub , fitbaw is pish and the atmosphere non existent but we didn't half plough through them big bad fixtures under them lovely big lights  😆

Edited by Thejackdaw

Guest MickGarvey
5 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Interesting viewpoint. Elite league no, but perhaps a Licensed League.

Clubs like Glenafton, Troon and Irvine Meadow who have recently committed thousands of pounds to ground improvements and bettering themselves, but find themselves midtable in a league where Beith committed the same finance to a league winning side (which is up to them and good luck to them)?

These three clubs want to clearly improve and buy into the pyramid and licensing. Why should they be stopped in this conquest by clubs who would rather improve the playing staff, than their infrastructure?

3 minutes ago, MickGarvey said:

Clubs like Glenafton, Troon and Irvine Meadow who have recently committed thousands of pounds to ground improvements and bettering themselves, but find themselves midtable in a league where Beith committed the same finance to a league winning side (which is up to them and good luck to them)?

These three clubs want to clearly improve and buy into the pyramid and licensing. Why should they be stopped in this conquest by clubs who would rather improve the playing staff, than their infrastructure?

Beith have better facilities than many clubs at this level, yes they lack some things to get a licence but to say that they are putting money into the team rather than infrastructure is nonsense.

7 minutes ago, MickGarvey said:

Still doesn't answer the question of replacing them if they move out of the 'Licenced League'.

Guest MickGarvey
19 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Still doesn't answer the question of replacing them if they move out of the 'Licenced League'.

You have around 15 teams underneath the Premier League which currently have the facilities. You wouldnt be long in replacing them.

I thought this was a thread about the SRCC. How did it become about tier 6 licencing.

Without appearing condescending; don't feel this is the thread to discuss the future potential licencing and grading of the tiers in the WOS. That's a bigger debate that shouldn't be hidden in another thread.

Just saying like.

7 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I thought this was a thread about the SRCC. How did it become about tier 6 licencing.

Without appearing condescending; don't feel this is the thread to discuss the future potential licencing and grading of the tiers in the WOS. That's a bigger debate that shouldn't be hidden in another thread.

Just saying like.

I suppose you could always start a 'Why is this not in the 'Take it to another thread' thread, thread?'

3 minutes ago, Kennie said:

I suppose you could always start a 'Why is this not in the 'Take it to another thread' thread, thread?'

hey I crack the jokes around here.

We all want the WOS to continue to grow and become stronger. It is only a toddler at this stage and there are a number of posters with good, valid input. Personally I have a lot to say but don't want to start on another thread. 

This might read as a bit passive aggressive; its not intended to be. Honest.

To be slightly more on topic - surely the ball is in the SJFA's court with all of this? If they want to become the non-league trophy, they need to attract the LL/EOS clubs and make it untenable to have duplicate competitions. Though how they do that is another matter of course...

Think the Junior Cup will remain relevant, so long as the latter stages are between decently supported WOS clubs where you're likely to have good crowds - something the SRCC hasn't yet seen. However if that changes (could've had East Craigie v Cumnock on a Friday night in Cumbernauld) then the gap in relevance will slowly close, especially if the SRCC final is contested between two well supported clubs this season.

23 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Shanner from a Talbot perspective why was this Cup Final not as well supported as the SJC Final against Yoker. 

I would think that the Bonnyrigg game had greater appeal to a football fan. Does that suggest that the SJC Final attendees are not football fans? 

I really struggle with this. To me both games were worthy of good crowds as a trophy was on the table.

Is it purely down to no recognition of the SRCC as a cup worth winning to those outside the main core of support?

I would think it's fairly obvious why a cup final at a ground just up the road against effectively an 8th tier club for a cup that Talbot's fans all know about would have a higher attendance than one in the previous week 60 miles away in Falkirk against much tougher opposition... ;)

23 hours ago, glensmad said:

Had we been playing Cumnock in the final of the South Challenge Cup, I doubt we would have had 200 fans in the stadium, never mind 1400.

The SRCC final had c400 (don't think an official attendance was given) between two teams without much of an established fanbase. I'm sure you could manage over 200 on a Sunday afternoon in Cumbernauld with a chance of your first cup silverware in 15 years... :unsure2:

Edited by Ginaro

Hi Kennie the point that I was trying to make was that all the cup football that is currently being played is potentially undermining the sporting integrity of the league. If you’ve got 3 games a week to play for the last 2 months of the season and your rivals are playing Saturday only there’s only one winner. If there’s another solution other than the one I’ve suggested let’s hear it. 

44 minutes ago, Park the Buffs said:

Hi Kennie the point that I was trying to make was that all the cup football that is currently being played is potentially undermining the sporting integrity of the league. If you’ve got 3 games a week to play for the last 2 months of the season and your rivals are playing Saturday only there’s only one winner. If there’s another solution other than the one I’ve suggested let’s hear it. 

This is nothing new at our level at all its happened all my life with the successful teams playing 3 or 4 games per week in the latter part of the season. 

And Talbot have won numerous leagues in the past when playing 3 times per week compared to others only playing very little.  

4 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

hey I crack the jokes around here.

We all want the WOS to continue to grow and become stronger. It is only a toddler at this stage and there are a number of posters with good, valid input. Personally I have a lot to say but don't want to start on another thread. 

This might read as a bit passive aggressive; its not intended to be. Honest.

Starting when?

2 hours ago, Park the Buffs said:

only an absolute idiot would dispute this. 

As others have noted, the problem at this level is not that there are too many fixtures, but rather that certain clubs have too many fixtures. A club participating in the SRCC can play as little as one match or as many as nine. The Junior Cup can go up to eight matches this year (six for licensed clubs). The WoSFL League cup as many as seven.

A simple solution is to take cues from higher up in the pyramid and elsewhere in the world and let strong clubs enter later in the competition. For example, a very simple change to the WoSFL League Cup would be to have the first round comprise of those in the third and fourth divisions, rather than the 32 who lose the draw. You could go a step further by having only the second division enter in the second round, then only the first division enter in the third round, until the premier division enters in the fourth round (round of 32). That gives premier division clubs two fewer potential matches than under the current formula.

Something similar could happen with the SRCC. Using league placement to determine starting rounds would be tricky given the setup, but one option would be to let clubs who reach the previous year's round of 32 start the next year in the round of 64, with other clubs entering in earlier rounds the worse they did in the previous year's cup.

Edited by Yalay

1 hour ago, Park the Buffs said:

We've been over this already. There was a lack of midweek games at the start of last season, which is being changed for this season, and some postponed games that could've been played midweek earlier in the season. Plus a weekend lost due to the Queen's death...

5 hours ago, Park the Buffs said:

Did any team actually do that? 24 games in 8 weeks seems a lot.

Or is it really a bit over exaggerated to try to justify your point? 

21 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Did any team actually do that? 24 games in 8 weeks seems a lot.

Or is it really a bit over exaggerated to try to justify your point? 

From 29th March till 13th May Talbot played 18 games...

And yet were sitting idle when teams that had played 5 and 6 games more were playing.

Edited by andy25