Johnstone Burgh statement

It need not be necessary to sell the ground if a carefully worded long term lease can be agreed instead!

In any case there sounds as though there is a serious need to check what can physically be done first of all at the existing ground if it is proposed to bring it up to SFL standard. If needed works cannot be done then they'll have to relocate.

I remember talk a good number of years ago of JB moving from Keanie but if there are the problems as detailed above regarding ground conditions/contamination then no surprise this didn’t happen.There are of course ways to deal with that so maybe with the new regime purchasing from George W they may have another go at things.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Darvel (as unloveable as their owner undoubtedly is) have yet to do a Gretna, and neither have Burgh.

Well that's okay then! 

I didn't say they shouldn't be criticised, but judging them on their actions, when those actions occur, is surely fair.

Judging Gretna by their very similar actions and claims of ambushing in advance of the obvious outcome actually worked out very well indeed. Perhaps we should learn from that example before reifying the latest 'investor' whose idea lies with chucking stupid money at mercenary players. 

11 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

I suppose the worry for Burgh fans would be , like most clubs that suddenly get an injection of money from an investor, is how long it will be sustained. You only have to look at Kilwinning and Irvine meadow to see how this can have a massive affect on a club if the investor decides one days he has spent enough of his hard earned cash without getting any monetary benefits back and leaves. 
let's be honest clubs at our level will never make any money , realistically most clubs at premier league level don't make any money, so if the Burgh don't get up through the leagues and make it into the Scottish league in the next 5 years or so does the investors get fed up and pull out? Do they freefall like Kilwinning done a few years ago? 
if as they promise they build a sustainable infrastructure then great but that still won't pay the kind of wages been mentioned just now and could be the death knell . 
Personally I hope it does work out for them in the long term, despite disagreeing with their signing policy this season which I still think is unjustified at the level they are playing, and think it is great for the town of Johnstone

Hey Planter,

Not sure when you are referring too when Kilwinning Rangers and Irvine Meadow threw money at their team, if its in the past couple years or 6 or 10 years then you have to realize they and others have done it before, some with success, some not. Other teams including Hurlford, Largs, Maryhill, Kilbrinie even 20 / 30 odd year ago.   I will say in the past 30 years, I don't remember Johnstone Burgh spending big on a few players like they have this season that anyone would take note.

We will always have a team or two throwing money at their team due to a sugar daddies or some business venture.  Substantial, is the team signing these players and have the money in the bank, secured to pay for them and their wages for the correct number of years they are signed and money to cover all other expected costs.  That's just good business if the team want to go down the big money signings route and have the finances to pay for it.

Personally, its good to have a team in a good position and gaining their SFA license and an Academy in place.
in saying that, the Johnstone Burgh youth teams are doing well or once they are reaching the U20s in the past couple of years have been strong.

I, like you Planter, would rather they get their house in order and then big money singings in the next couple of years but hey, they want to try for it now so I'm wishing them good luck

That's what I'm saying, I just used Kilwinning and Irvine as examples .  Kilwinning threw money at players but not the infrastructure and they paid the price when McCluckie walked away and they dived bombed to the bottom Division the year after winning the Junior super league, It has took them years to get to where they are now but still nowhere near the team they once were. At least they have a good set up now having moved to a community club. 
Irvine are slightly different that they already had a good set up but also didn't invest in infrastructure and decided to pump all their money into the wages and now without the same backer or investment can't live with wages being paid by many other teams now.

there are msny similar stories over the years as you say but how many have resulted in a self sustainable future? 

I suppose the difference now is there is no longer the ceiling of winning their respective super league and the holy grail of the Scottish junior cup. For real progression now infrastructure is the key. 

Edited by Plantar fasciitis

3 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Hey Planter,

Not sure when you are referring too when Kilwinning Rangers and Irvine Meadow threw money at their team, if its in the past couple years or 6 or 10 years then you have to realize they and others have done it before, some with success, some not. Other teams including Hurlford, Largs, Maryhill, Kilbrinie even 20 / 30 odd year ago.   I will say in the past 30 years, I don't remember Johnstone Burgh spending big on a few players like they have this season that anyone would take note.

We will always have a team or two throwing money at their team due to a sugar daddies or some business venture.  Substantial, is the team signing these players and have the money in the bank, secured to pay for them and their wages for the correct number of years they are signed and money to cover all other expected costs.  That's just good business if the team want to go down the big money signings route and have the finances to pay for it.

Personally, its good to have a team in a good position and gaining their SFA license and an Academy in place.
in saying that, the Johnstone Burgh youth teams are doing well or once they are reaching the U20s in the past couple of years have been strong.

I, like you Planter, would rather they get their house in order and then big money singings in the next couple of years but hey, they want to try for it now so I'm wishing them good luck

What absolute word salad tosh.

Please tell us when "Kilbrinie" (sic) were splashing the cash over, say, the last fifty years ?

Go on,...give us an example.

As another contributor frequently says when he is calling out an obvious pish-talker..."Be very specific".

P.s. Largs Thistle mostly used their windfall on ground & infrastructure improvements, apparently, rather than big name signings. They did it the right way and nobody raised an eyebrow.

Edited by Black Pennel
Those fingers again.

2 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

What absolute word salad tosh.

Please tell us when "Kilbrinie" (sic) were splashing the cash over, say, the last fifty years ?

Go on,...give us an example.

As another contributor frequently says when he is calling out an obvious pish-talker..."Be very specific".

P.s. Largs Thistle mostly used their windfall on ground & infrastructure improvements, apparently, rather than big name signings. They did it the right way and nobody raised an eyebrow.

Largs never received any windfall. The lottery winners paid to have a 3G pitch installed. It wasn't a case of "Here's £XYZ - spend it wisely."

I can't recall Kilbirnie ever having a money man back them either.

6 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

Well don't 'cos Franco talks pish.

No offence meant, I don't know the history of all teams from the juniors that's why I only quoted a couple I did know about, I realised when saying it there would probably be others. So just assumed the teams he quoted had also tried it. 
For the record was down at the Kilbirnie tournament on Saturday bud the pitch looked great ! 

8 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

That's what I'm saying, I just used Kilwinning and Irvine as examples .  Kilwinning threw money at players but not the infrastructure and they paid the price when McCluckie walked away and they dived bombed to the bottom Division the year after winning the Junior super league, It has took them years to get to where they are now but still nowhere near the team they once were. At least they have a good set up now having moved to a community club. 
Irvine are slightly different that they already had a good set up but also didn't invest in infrastructure and decided to pump all their money into the wages and now without the same backer or investment can't live with wages being paid by many other teams now.

there are msny similar stories over the years as you say but how many have resulted in a self sustainable future? 

I suppose the difference now is there is no longer the ceiling of winning their respective super league and the holy grail of the Scottish junior cup. For real progression now infrastructure is the key. 

I suppose it would be worth asking a Kilwinning fan from 1999 onwards - was it worth it given the 10-15 years which followed?  I imagine a good percentage would say yes.

Meadow perhaps slightly different as they never won the Junior Cup but they won the league, played at Easter Road and had some great experiences around a decade ago.

When you say self-sustainable I'm not sure what you mean?  Both clubs along with Hurlford, Whitburn etc are still in existence. But with a few more trophies in the cabinet than would otherwise have been the case.

There is a lot of anguish and hand-wringing on this forum whenever a club receives investment and starts paying large amounts for players but not one of the posters here would turn it down for their own club.

Edited by energyzone

19 minutes ago, energyzone said:

I suppose it would be worth asking a Kilwinning fan from 1999 onwards - was it worth it given the 10-15 years which followed?  I imagine a good percentage would say yes.

Meadow perhaps slightly different as they never won the Junior Cup but they won the league, played at Easter Road and had some great experiences around a decade ago.

When you say self-sustainable I'm not sure what you mean?  Both clubs along with Hurlford, Whitburn etc are still in existence. But with a few more trophies in the cabinet than would otherwise have been the case.

There is a lot of anguish and hand-wringing on this forum whenever a club receives investment and starts paying large amounts for players but not one of the posters here would turn it down for their own club.

Honest answer here in relation to your last paragraph , if the club I love started paying guys say between  £600 and £1300 per week  then I would stop going and start going fishing or something.  It wouldn't be for me at all it's just totally wrong for our level and I've witnessed amazing times with beith without seeing  this nonsense being shelled out to players .

Edited by Thejackdaw

1 hour ago, energyzone said:

55 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Honest answer here in relation to your last paragraph , if the club I love started paying guys say between  £600 and £1300 per week  then I would stop going and start going fishing or something.  It wouldn't be for me at all it's just totally wrong for our level and I've witnessed amazing times with beith without seeing  this nonsense being shelled out to players .

It's the knock on effect that it has as well. Clubs who run themselves based on regular fan bases and sponsorship just can't compete with Brewster firing his millions at players. Therefore salaries for our level get over inflated meaning clubs either struggle to compete on the field or struggle financially by trying to compete in monetary terms.

Yes, this happens higher up the food chain but do we really want football at our level to become so dictated by financial clout or worse still to see clubs overstretching themselves and going to the wall?

I for one say down with this sort of thing.

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's the knock on effect that it has as well. Clubs who run themselves based on regular fan bases and sponsorship just can't compete with Brewster firing his millions at players. Therefore salaries for our level get over inflated meaning clubs either struggle to compete on the field or struggle financially by trying to compete in monetary terms.

Yes, this happens higher up the food chain but do we really want football at our level to become so dictated by financial clout or worse still to see clubs overstretching themselves and going to the wall?

I for one say down with this sort of thing.

If a local euro millions winner comes in with millions to build us a nice  all seater stadium with floodlights and a big social club I would love that as it's a long term gain and it would be a great asset for future generations   but if it were only to give players huge weekly wages then I would see it as morally wrong for the level that we operate at and something that o wouldn't like to see, appreciate that everyone is different though and others wouldn't mind seeing players getting huge wages on the back of it.

4 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

If a local euro millions winner comes in with millions to build us a nice  all seater stadium with floodlights and a big social club I would love that as it's a long term gain and it would be a great asset for future generations   but if it were only to give players huge weekly wages then I would see it as morally wrong for the level that we operate at and something that o wouldn't like to see, appreciate that everyone is different though and others wouldn't mind seeing players getting huge wages on the back of it.

I genuinely think if I won millions on the lottery I'd like to put my money into my favourite WOSFL team but would do similar to Largs, upgrade the pitch, stadium and facilities but most importantly their own training pitch that could be used by all the youth teams for the club. Wages would then come from the training pitch income ! 

6 minutes ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

I genuinely think if I won millions on the lottery I'd like to put my money into my favourite WOSFL team but would do similar to Largs, upgrade the pitch, stadium and facilities but most importantly their own training pitch that could be used by all the youth teams for the club. Wages would then come from the training pitch income ! 

Most certainly and I really think MR Weir RIP did it the correct way and the legacy will always remain.

5 hours ago, Plantar fasciitis said:

No offence meant, I don't know the history of all teams from the juniors that's why I only quoted a couple I did know about, I realised when saying it there would probably be others. So just assumed the teams he quoted had also tried it. 
For the record was down at the Kilbirnie tournament on Saturday bud the pitch looked great ! 

Was what was on it any use?Spence has a huge job on his hands.