The Death Penalty

3 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Sorry about the 17 years you shouldn't have spent in our prison but you now need to pay us for the privilege 🙄

Innocent man wrongly jailed for 17 years 'could have to pay prison thousands for board and lodgings'

Does he get to keep his 60 inch telly and PlayStation?

6 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Does he get to keep his 60 inch telly and PlayStation?

Do they get to trade in models when they're in prison? 17 years ago he'd probably have been given a PS2, not exactly been able to pop into CEX to get cash to upgrade and we're all at PS5s now so he's going to need a bit of money to upgrade his tech... 

5 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

Do they get to trade in models when they're in prison? 17 years ago he'd probably have been given a PS2, not exactly been able to pop into CEX to get cash to upgrade and we're all at PS5s now so he's going to need a bit of money to upgrade his tech... 

Don't know, but he should leave a bad review if they make him pay.

15 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I agree. 

I'd also bring back hanging for people who say "mac and cheese".

On 26/07/2023 at 23:42, Granny Danger said:

A fish platter for dinner last night including lobster from the Lobster Shack in Crail - for anyone who has not tried it I would highly recommend it.  Kept some of the tail meat for Mac and Cheese tonight, wonderful flavour.

Pleas in mitigation:

1. I didn’t say it, I wrote it down.

2. I capitalised both words (or does that make it worse).

3. I’m a really nice person (ok that risks a perjury charge).

4.  There are diminished responsibility factors.

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Pleas in mitigation:

1. I didn’t say it, I wrote it down.

2. I capitalised both words (or does that make it worse).

3. I’m a really nice person (ok that risks a perjury charge).

4.  There are diminished responsibility factors.

You appear to be a Dundee United supporter. There's not a court in the land that wouldn't take the view that you've suffered enough.

8 hours ago, Hauzen said:

Sorry about the 17 years you shouldn't have spent in our prison but you now need to pay us for the privilege 🙄

Innocent man wrongly jailed for 17 years 'could have to pay prison thousands for board and lodgings'

That's been horrific for that guy throughout this, I saw that he couldn't get out early because he never apologised or showed contrition.   I'd have probably lied and faked an apology/contrition just to get out, the guy is extremely strong willed.

18 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

You appear to be a Dundee United supporter. There's not a court in the land that wouldn't take the view that you deserve the death penalty.

FTFY.

Harsh, but fair IMO.

16 hours ago, bennett said:

That's been horrific for that guy throughout this, I saw that he couldn't get out early because he never apologised or showed contrition.   I'd have probably lied and faked an apology/contrition just to get out, the guy is extremely strong willed.

He said in an interview he couldn't fake guilt as it wasn't just a case of admitting something he didn't do it meant he was going to have to do all these group therapy sessions and lie that he was a deviant along with genuine wrong 'uns. He was also scathing of the appeal board trying to take some glory from the outcome as they were blanking him until the evidence of wrongful conviction was handed to them on a plate by @we_are_APPEAL 

17 years, ffs. Almost half his adult life. Imagine how lost he'll be trying to reintegrate into society, get a job etc. Christ, Falkirk were in the Premiership when he went inside. He'll be totally lost.

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

17 years, ffs. Almost half his adult life. Imagine how lost he'll be trying to reintegrate into society, get a job etc. Christ, Falkirk were in the Premiership when he went inside. He'll be totally lost.

"But they are a massive club with a huge travelling support, how can that be?"

On 27/07/2023 at 18:19, GordonD said:

This is suggested quite often but the Army doesn't want people like that.

Neither does the public, bad enough if criminals are willing to harm innocent members of the public, worse if we actually train them to do so in a more efficient way lol

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2023/aug/16/former-solicitor-general-calls-for-public-inquiry-into-wrongful-conviction-of-andrew-malkinson

The more you read about this case, the more you wonder if a line has been crossed where it should move from being a case of incompetence, to being a criminal matter.

Given they had compelling exculpatory DNA evidence within 4 years of the conviction and simply ignored it and/or dismissed it multiple times, criminal charges should be the least of it.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Given they had compelling exculpatory DNA evidence within 4 years of the conviction and simply ignored it and/or dismissed it multiple times, criminal charges should be the least of it.

If everything is as black and white as it now seems, I wonder why there was no-one fighting his corner tooth and nail in the past?  I'm certain some media interest would have been more than happy to fight his cause if it was as clear a case of miscarriage of justice as it now seems. 

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

If everything is as black and white as it now seems, I wonder why there was no-one fighting his corner tooth and nail in the past?  I'm certain some media interest would have been more than happy to fight his cause if it was as clear a case of miscarriage of justice as it now seems. 

The problem is some were fighting, and the system kept refusing and stalling any actions. They fought, but the process is slow and bizarre.

8 hours ago, hk blues said:

Listening to BBC R4 in the car yesterday a bit after 1pm, not sure what programme that is......

Every man and his dog, including the defence people, knew about the DNA find after a handful of years.

Apparently , the Criminal Cases Review Commission was  underfunded, and the Appeals Court was notorously

dificult to persuade to change their mind over a conviction, plus the fact that the original conviction

was done on the basis of identification. For those reasons, the Review Commission  did a cost/perceived benefit analysis

(to themselves) and declined to act.

The person being interviewed , the lawyer Michael Mansfield, basically said the whole system was corrupt, in the way it has acted towards the guy. 

Police, Crown Prosecutors, the CCRC, the Appeals system...., and he very much pointed towards the weight that is put on 'identification' rather

than scientifc evidence.

Oh, and no one let on that the identifiers were petty criminals with convictions as long as your arm.

Edited by beefybake