St Mirren V Dundee

The reason Nick Walsh on VAR didn't award the goal is because he couldn't apparently be 100% sure the ball had crossed the line.

If Colin Steven had given it, then Walsh presumably would have allowed it to stand.

It looks very much over the line but the truth is it's impossible to tell without a proper view from the crossbar looking down at the line.

46 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Of course the ball crossing the line is a black and white situation.  

However we don’t have the tech to determine that, therefore it’s a human judgment.  

Correct. And if that human judgement can't be 100% sure the on-field decision was wrong, it stands.

That's how VAR works. 

IMG_3590.thumb.jpeg.612647f58070f69edf48c8b1b67ef80c.jpegIMG_3591.thumb.jpeg.81b53e099220cac36576ff2e6a685dbc.jpegIMG_3592.thumb.jpeg.f2fb9df44c36a77cd166a5f4389dad34.jpeg

Even from these photographs it isn’t clear cut. 

Not enough evidence to overturn the onfield ruling. Decision stood - no goal!

It therefore allowed the Dundee manager to say that his team were “disappointed not to have got all three points” 😂 

Pleasing!

27 minutes ago, Molotov said:

IMG_3590.thumb.jpeg.612647f58070f69edf48c8b1b67ef80c.jpegIMG_3591.thumb.jpeg.81b53e099220cac36576ff2e6a685dbc.jpegIMG_3592.thumb.jpeg.f2fb9df44c36a77cd166a5f4389dad34.jpeg

Even from these photographs it isn’t clear cut. 

Not enough evidence to overturn the onfield ruling. Decision stood - no goal!

It therefore allowed the Dundee manager to say that his team were “disappointed not to have got all three points” 😂 

Pleasing!

From those photos it's 100% clear cut - not over the line.

Back of the goal is a terrible place to make a judgement on something like this 🙂

1 hour ago, The Master said:

Correct. And if that human judgement can't be 100% sure the on-field decision was wrong, it stands.

That's how VAR works. 

So we agree, it was Nick Walsh getting it wrong 🙂

As Conroy said in that article, imagine this had been result-changing, and imagine it had gone against Celtic or Rangers in an important game.

Surely 4 Go-Pro style cameras (one on each post) would help this hugely.  Not goal line technology as such, but miles better than what we currently have, and wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

28 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

No. Nick Walsh got it absolutely right. 

He could not determine that the on-field referee got it wrong, therefore play was allowed to continue. 

39 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

As Conroy said in that article, imagine this had been result-changing, and imagine it had gone against Celtic or Rangers in an important game.

Surely 4 Go-Pro style cameras (one on each post) would help this hugely.  Not goal line technology as such, but miles better than what we currently have, and wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

That suggestion would certainly underline (if it is even needed) the gulf between the top league in Scotland and the top league in England.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

That suggestion would certainly underline (if it is even needed) the gulf between the top league in Scotland and the top league in England.

Agreed, but they DO have a vastly greater budget than we have.

I'm actually amazed we could afford even the low grade VAR we have here.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Why do people continually compare the English top division and the Scottish top division. Not only is it different country, it's virtually a different sport. 

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Why do people continually compare the English top division and the Scottish top division. Not only is it different country, it's virtually a different sport. 

I presume it is because it’s our nearest neighbour and there has been a long history of Scottish clubs playing English clubs.  Not to mention the ‘Auld Enemy’ take on things.

I suppose in some ways it is similar to why so many fans of various clubs in Scotland also support an English team  (I don’t personally but I know many people who do).   I never really hear anyone talking about what team from Norway or Finland they support.  This despite the fact both nations have a comparable population to Scotland *

Fair to say standard as well?  I don’t know, just asking that.

Edited by Shadow Play

Just watched the highlights there.

I can't believe how little of a claim there is from anyone, not players, not crowd, not a soul for the Dundee penalty. Mandron was silly to grab his shirt but these things probably happen a dozen times a game and there's worse wrestling at corners. It's a bizarre one to pull that particular one back.

47 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Is a bit of controversy not a good thing? Look how we're all debating this incident. 

I think we were probably robbed of a goal, but I'm told that "these things even themselves out over the season", so I'm looking forward to a wee bit of a lucky break. :) 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Bloody hell, about twenty pages discussing something that had absolutely no effect on the result. 

While I get your point, it IS important, because these decisions have got to stop being called incorrectly with the technology that is readily available in 2023. Because next time it might be a goal that does matter. For us, for someone else...

We're being told to embrace this technology that I broadly still think is fucking awful, but then we find it's still deeply flawed. It's a shitshow, and it's worth debating.