Your club’s best loan signing

54 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

My only memory of George Moncur is his goal against Ross County and thinking that he might have been worth occasionally playing.

I have no memory of Stephen Connor whatsoever, and I just looked Mukendi up and his entire professional career amounted to less than 500 minutes of football.

In terms of guys who went on to have far, far better careers than their loan spell suggested, Kal Naismith would be my shout. 

Reece Cole is playing for Exeter in league one on TV at the moment, he must have blackmail material on Caldwell as I assumed he'd be off to the Conference South after leaving Dunfermline 

In recent memory, its got to be Nouble.  Not for the goals return, Jack Hamilton was absolutely stunning for us and scored way more goals, and not even necessarily for the assists, but he gave us magic on the pitch.  When we had Nouble, he had to be triple marked, and that meant that players like McKenna were completely free.  It also took the pressure off our defence as you could give the ball to him, and he would be able to hold on to it and drag us up the pitch.   Having him in the side made our entire team better!  It felt like he was a cheat code.

I think more than that though, he seemed honestly delighted to be at our club.  You'd imagine that being signed for SPL Livingston and then sent off to a windy part time outpost in the north east would be a step down, but if that's how he felt, you wouldn't have known it.  He was happy to sign stuff and make time for all our young fans, some of whom would have been in their first hesitant season as Arbroath fans, he turned up to community trust coaching events and fan events, and he generally made a massive effort to be a part of the club....I'm getting kind of emotional talking about it!  🤣

54 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Reece Cole is playing for Exeter in league one on TV at the moment, he must have blackmail material on Caldwell as I assumed he'd be off to the Conference South after leaving Dunfermline 

I quite liked Cole at the time, but in retrospect that was largely because he had a brief spell of scoring every week. Otherwise, he was a (technically proficient) gutless shitebag in a team full of them.

That Exeter team has some absolute fucking nightmare fuel in it. 

Utd have had some utterly awful loan signings over the years (special mention to Brandon Mason from Watford whose only performance was in a 6-1 defeat to Falkirk).

The only one I remember being any good was Connor Townsend who I think we had on loan from Hull.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

He went to some arseend of football league in London after leaving us, which I assumed was too high a level for him

Here's my XI of some of the best loan signings we've had at Raith (based on how they fared when on loan with us):

GK: Kieran Wright
RB: David Smith
CB: Steven Anderson
CB: Connor O'Riordan
LB: Callum Booth
MF: Regan Hendry
RW: Johnny Russell
LW: Ethan Ross
FW: Damian Casalinuovo
FW: Ryan Hardie
FW: Steven MacLean

Jamie Walker, Jason Holt, Kevin Smith and David Templeton were also good for us while on loan.

...and an XI of the worst we've had (again based on how they fared at the time):

GK: Ally Brown
DF: Jack Perry
DF: Sean Mackie (2021-22 season)
DF: Nathan Cooney
MF: Adam King
MF: Jordan Thompson
MF: Scott Roberts
MF: Connal Murtagh
FW: Timmy Abraham
FW: Stephen Reynolds
FW: Lars Lokotsch

It feels a bit harsh to put guys like Cooney in here who hardly played and were essentially there as cover, but was struggling to think of other defenders who have been properly awful (other Rovers fans, please do set me right!) (Dis)honourable mentions also for William Akio and Isma Goncalves up front.

8 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

Also a strong contender in the Ayr Worst Loan XI, he had the most ridiculous running mechanics. Looked a bit like a toddler stamping their way down a hallway. 

Can't really think of a best but the worst: Ali Crawford, absolutely.

Practically cost us playoffs last year and did more to hinder us than help us.

Ally Roy can go in the list as well because he just came to sit on the bench. Didn't do anything bad, though.

Including the amateur era, we’ve had some excellent loan players. Eamonn Brophy stood out like a sore thumb in a horrendous side that finished bottom of league 2. Dario zanatta was also terrific when we stayed up comfortably in league 1 back in 2016/17. Genuinely thought Zanatta would have became a Hearts regular after watching him then but how wrong was I. Malachi Boateng was obviously outstanding last season and in terms of consistent performances, he’s probably the best loan we’ve had. 

We’ve also had some woeful loans, most notably from the last 2 seasons. You could have your pick between Luis Longstaff, Connor Mcbride, Euan Henderson or Johnny Kenny. Longstaff and Kenny particularly stand out as my least favourite loans ever 

10 hours ago, Kuma Power said:

GK: Ally Brown
DF: Jack Perry
DF: Sean Mackie (2021-22 season)
DF: Nathan Cooney
MF: Adam King
MF: Jordan Thompson
MF: Scott Roberts
MF: Connal Murtagh
FW: Timmy Abraham
FW: Lars Lokotsch

Don’t disagree with your selections but it’s wild that 4 of them were with us during one of our best seasons in the last 25 years. Add those 4 to Fernandy Mendy and 37 year old Iain Davidson and it shows how good the rest of that side were.

Also makes you think how far we could have went with a better January transfer window. Cooney, King, Kennedy, Abraham and Gullan in for a big outlay and all were varying levels of disappointing. 

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Don’t disagree with your selections but it’s wild that 4 of them were with us during one of our best seasons in the last 25 years. Add those 4 to Fernandy Mendy and 37 year old Iain Davidson and it shows how good the rest of that side were.

Also makes you think how far we could have went with a better January transfer window. Cooney, King, Kennedy, Abraham and Gullan in for a big outlay and all were varying levels of disappointing. 

That's a good point! To be fair there's probably a bit of recency bias on my part there, there must be loads of loan players we've had down the years who weren't outright terrible, but were just anonymous and quickly faded from memory and/or dropped down the leagues thereafter. You're absolutely right though, it's incredible how well we did in 2020-21 given our lack of depth and the calibre of loan signings we brought in. The fact it was a shortened season due to COVID maybe helped in that regard.

Iain Turner

Jason Thomson
Efe Ambrose
Ross Graham
Dylan Duncan (putting him anywhere I want, since he never played)

Josh Coley
Kyle Hutton
Liam Polworth
Malaury Martin

Gavin Reilly
Jamie Mole

subs: Greg Fleming, Bobby Kamwa, Anthony McDonald, Kai Kennedy, Derek Lyle and any of the abysmal loans we got in the Calderwood era.

I originally had Jim Paterson at LB, but somehow he got an actual contract and wasn’t a loan. Also, if we’re going on loan spell alone, I’d have to consider El Bakhtaoui. But I just can’t do that.

Best loans for us have all been mentioned, Kelly, Doohan, McCrorie, Moore, Chalmers, etc. But for worst loan players in recent years I'd have to go with Jonathan Afolabi, Brett McGavin (played 10 minutes as a sub then disappeared), Reece McAleer, Jack Ruddy, and Calvin Miller. All absolutely hopeless.

6 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Iain Turner

Jason Thomson
Efe Ambrose
Ross Graham
Dylan Duncan (putting him anywhere I want, since he never played)

Josh Coley
Kyle Hutton
Liam Polworth
Malaury Martin

Gavin Reilly
Jamie Mole

subs: Greg Fleming, Bobby Kamwa, Anthony McDonald, Kai Kennedy, Derek Lyle and any of the abysmal loans we got in the Calderwood era.

I originally had Jim Paterson at LB, but somehow he got an actual contract and wasn’t a loan. Also, if we’re going on loan spell alone, I’d have to consider El Bakhtaoui. But I just can’t do that.

An abysmal team you've put together, love it. 

Honorable mentions to Tomas Danilvicous on loan from Arsenal and Lewis Allan. Both complete dross

14 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Utd have had some utterly awful loan signings over the years (special mention to Brandon Mason from Watford whose only performance was in a 6-1 defeat to Falkirk).

The only one I remember being any good was Connor Townsend who I think we had on loan from Hull.

Andy Webster, Pavol Safranko, Willo Flood, Dylan Levitt, there will be others but we have had a few decent loans over the years but certainly had our fair share of trash.

2 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Ally Roy can go in the list as well because he just came to sit on the bench. Didn't do anything bad, though.

Frank Ross did something similar for us - immediately getting injured and never to be seen again. For that reason I wouldn't put him in a worst XI as he wasn't on the field to do any damage, unlike some of the utter charlatans we've had. Feel quite bad for the guy as he clearly was well thought of but, just can't get a break from injuries. 

43 minutes ago, skinny arab said:

Andy Webster, Pavol Safranko, Willo Flood, Dylan Levitt, there will be others but we have had a few decent loans over the years but certainly had our fair share of trash.

Good shouts. The only one of those I thought we only had on loan was Levitt and forgot about that Hibs' turncoat...

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

An abysmal team you've put together, love it. 

Honorable mentions to Tomas Danilvicous on loan from Arsenal and Lewis Allan. Both complete dross

For some reason I thought Lewis Allan scored a goal for us. Having done my research now though, I realise this was wrong. He’s definitely in the same bracket as Jamie Mole, Gavin Reilly and Derek Lyle.

I also think we had an Icelandic striker on a loan spell? Gardar Gunnlaugson or something? Could probably have a full 11 of terrible strikers we had on loan.