Raith vs Queen’s Park, 2 Sept 2023

2 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Bizarre game.  As much as it wasn't fun seeing Queens Park with so much of the ball second half we were pretty comfortable, but it did feel like we thought the hard stuff was already done and that we'd hit them on the counter at some point.  Then Kev decides to make a complete of arse of things and we reverted to the Rovers of old and lost all sense of composure and made yet more arse ups to give them a second.  

Without doubt, last season that would have been game over, or we'd have went on to concede again.  But this team seem to have something about them now, helped by the fact we actually have talent on the bench to bring on when things are going bad.

But that ending was mental.  Crazy to think we're joint top with 10 points and arguably we haven't really played well in any game so far this season.  

We probably have in spells, and first half this week and last week I thought we had set up tactically pretty well to counter the other team, yet at Thistle we were set up totally wrong and against Morton we got sucked into their game plan.

Guess you have to look at it as glass half full presently. Which admittedly is not where my head was at around 75 mins.

8 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

Bizarre game.  As much as it wasn't fun seeing Queens Park with so much of the ball second half we were pretty comfortable, but it did feel like we thought the hard stuff was already done and that we'd hit them on the counter at some point.  Then Kev decides to make a complete of arse of things and we reverted to the Rovers of old and lost all sense of composure and made yet more arse ups to give them a second.  

Without doubt, last season that would have been game over, or we'd have went on to concede again.  But this team seem to have something about them now, helped by the fact we actually have talent on the bench to bring on when things are going bad.

But that ending was mental.  Crazy to think we're joint top with 10 points and arguably we haven't really played well in any game so far this season.  

That's pretty much it. 

Commented on it at half time, but the second half saw it ramp up with folk getting more and more frustrated as we let them have the ball. We gifted them a route back into the game with two comical goals, but what doesn't help is the reaction of some of the fans in the crowd. If you're cheering Dabrowski making a simple catch after his f**k up, take yourself off into the sea. That sort of stuff helps absolutely nobody - I'd genuinely be curious to see if these folk worked in any sort of environment where you'd get such treatment. Players clearly aren't immune from criticism, but we've already seen one player leave us before after getting booed onto the park as a substitute and it absolutely ruined him mentally to the point he walked out on the club. 

Regardless, the mentality of this squad can only be given credit. We went fully Murrayball and I think that this is the first time where it's worked out for us. Easton and Vaughan were superb when they came on, and Dick got an assist. Absolutely brilliant to see the south stand jumping at the end - there looks like there'll be a lot of good content from the club over the next few days. 

Looking forward to the highlights. 

There's the easy way, the hard way and the Rovers way...

With 15 minutes to go I was absolutely seething that we'd contrived to turn a game we should've been about 3 or 4 goals up in into a defeat thanks to two of the most pathetic goals you could imagine conceding. 

But, for the 4th league game in a row, this team has dug out a result that we just would not have been able to last season. We now have 10 points after 4 games,  I think we would've had 2 last season. 

There's a lot to analyse about that, but it can wait until tomorrow. What a buzz that was at full time, again. What a great crowd as well. Was it 2,984 that was read out?

Love this team at the moment, even if they torture as at times.

That defeat is 100% on Robin Veldman. At 2-1 up we looked more likely to score again than condece, and he's bringing on a 17 year old left back who struggled last week to hold a lead even though Tommy Robson had been great. Don't think there was much between the teams so that's very frustrating.

12 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Is Hamilton fully fit or just not getting the right kind of service. ???

I'm not sure either way. He was unlucky with a good shot in the first half and missed a header completely as well, though it may have taken a deflection which put him off, but when we were out of possession, he wasn't really supporting Stanton in closing down spaces etc, which may not be his game. I suspect thats why Gullan came on, but it didn't really work either due to QP changing it up a bit too. 

Callan McKenna pretty much ensured that wasn't a cricket score today.  

Thomson, Fox and Spong put in one helluva shift too after the Tiz red-card.

At some point we'll find away of playing Paton into matches...for too much of the game he seemed cut off from the mid-field - and that mainly is down to Turner who either seems to be in the wrong place, or is statuesque with the ball near him...it's a tragedy that we're not going to see Savoury until March.

Pretty much nothing came down the left wing until Robson came off...for why, I will never know.

Thomas was, along with McPherson an outlet for relieving the pressure after we had gone 2-1 up, so why he was taken off I can only assume is down to arrogance.

We're a young team, but our coach also needs to mature rapidly.

17 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'd genuinely be curious to see if these folk worked in any sort of environment where you'd get such treatment. Players clearly aren't immune from criticism, but we've already seen one player leave us before after getting booed onto the park as a substitute and it absolutely ruined him mentally to the point he walked out on the club. 

Who was this? I must have mental block as can’t think of who you’re talking about.

Agree with your point though. As much as I was like Kev, what TF are you doing booing and being an arse is not on. 

He’s no McGurn but he’s ours and is clearly a cracking big lad. Confident he’ll continue to improve…he ain’t no charlatan or haddie, just needs more confidence and stop hesitating. Booing ain’t on and helps nobody.

If we're completely honest, today even without Veldman losing his marbles, has been a carbon copy of most of this season so far.  Shed loads of possession married to an inability to create and score decent chances.  Both our goals came from utter defensive howlers.  Until we find away of providing Paton with some meaningful service, we're going to struggle

32 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Is Hamilton fully fit or just not getting the right kind of service. ???

With the quality of ball that Millen puts into the box he can’t complain about the service. He really should have scored at least one today. 

8 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Who was this? I must have mental block as can’t think of who you’re talking about.

Agree with your point though. As much as I was like Kev, what TF are you doing booing and being an arse is not on. 

He’s no McGurn but he’s ours and is clearly a cracking big lad. Confident he’ll continue to improve…he ain’t no charlatan or haddie, just needs more confidence and stop hesitating. Booing ain’t on and helps nobody.

Lewis Allan I think. 

37 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Kev was clear at fault for the first goal, but he nearly saved the defenders bacon on the second with a great first save. Every keeper has a howler now and then, but what a  time for it.

Im never one for getting on a players back as it’s usually counter productive. But he should have talked clearly to McGill to head it to him. 10 mins later Dick had the same ball and headed it behind him for a throw. And Dick clearly indicated that Kev didn’t communicate and tell him the easy cushion header back to the goalie was on. Shaughan McG on the terrace made the point I’ve said to my pals a few times; the centre half’s and fullbacks are getting on at him. Which indicates the trust isn’t there. 

So whilst McGill, Watson and Murray all were dreadful for the second goal, I think it doesn’t happen without Kev. But Kev made an unreal save in that passage that was a ‘goal saving’. So there is something there (as his save last week showed too). So he will win us points, but at the moment looks like he will lose us more. Needs to learn fucking fast.

Edit to add: Big Kev is our Number 1 this year so it’s important we stay with him. He was apologetic at the end and I made sure to clap him directly. Nothing good comes of putting extra pressure on him. Need to get behind everyone. If he doesn’t do it and doesn’t learn a change will be made. But until then, let’s get behind him!

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

Lewis Allan I think. 

Aye, that's the one. Benedictus literally made a point in his post match interview to say it was embarrassing and that Allan was in the changing room completely distraught by it. We've literally had the club put out videos of the players getting mental health training. By all means, grumble and moan but that just came across as being absolutely malicious. 

This season has just been a brilliant laugh so far, and today wasn’t any different. Just looking about when I was leaving and everyone walking up the road with a massive grin on their face, it’s brilliant to see and long may it continue. 

As far as the red card goes, I thought he was in trouble as soon as he committed the foul. Totally agree there was a long way to go, but at the time, I wasn’t sure anyone was getting back to challenge him, so understand why he gave it, but at the same time, wouldn’t have been aghast at a yellow. 

Also said at the time I wasn’t sure it would suit us though. We were getting in behind that high line a lot, and (eventually) Queen’s Park dropped a little deeper, but regardless, I still felt pretty bullish that we’d win, until that equaliser. 

A couple of things that are noticeable about Dabrowski, and I’ve seen it every week now, players have given him a hard time during the game. It happened twice in the first 20 minutes last week, and you can see him visibly shrinking while it happens. 

I understand the frustration, but it doesn’t do him any good. As for the folk that decided to sarcastically cheer when he took a catch just after the equaliser today, absolutely bizarre. Idiotic to be honest. 

Fair play to the team though, they plugged away, and it looks like we have a squad you just can’t write off. I presumed we were going to have to settle for a frustrating draw, then I absolutely lost the run of myself at the winner. 

Also, fair play to Queen’s Park manager, Robin Veldman, who took off three of Queen’s Park’s key players after 80 minutes, which aided our comeback. Lovely stuff! 

Edited by McGuigan1978