Inverness' Next Permanent Manager - 2023 Edition - Dodds is Punted YASSS

Who will be Inverness' Next Permanent Manager?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Way too early for Bartley I'd say.  He hasn't got a full season under his belt yet and although the football has generally improved (couldn't have got worse, mind) he hasn't exactly set the heather on fire down at Palmerston and results have been mixed.  He's taken a brave approach in going for young talent, but to counter that he's also realised belatedly that he also needs experience in the mix where he's had to bring in Efe Ambrose (yes, I know, but this is 3rd tier fitba tbf ...) to shore up a dodgy back line.  I like what I've seen so far in Bartley (and he's obviously super cool in video interviews, being very media savvy) but it's just too early - for his own good and development he needs to see out the season at Queens and learn his trade where the pressure on him will be less than it would be in a Championship side with expectations.

Also with his past indiscretion moving now when the media is back in the eye of the #metoo movement probably wouldn't be clever to move now, just as Goodwillie should have stayed and kept his head down.

All about timing and now would be the wrong time.

1 hour ago, Pens_Dark said:

I don't think he would because of his situation just now (still wanting to play) and I know there is fine margins in terms of clubs in Scotland but surely you can take ICT further than you can Airdrie...?

I'd not be so sure about that. If Airdrie can stabilise at this level, I think they can potentially grow a fair bit. Caley on the other hand seem to be more like a Highland version of Hamilton.

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

Also with his past indiscretion moving now when the media is back in the eye of the #metoo movement probably wouldn't be clever to move now, just as Goodwillie should have stayed and kept his head down.

Went to check his wiki page...:-D 

Media work[edit]

Bartley appears regularly as a pundit for coverage of Scottish football by Clyde 1 Radio, where he gets regularly pumped at 'beat the pundit' while he shows off his baby oiled biceps live in their YouTube stream.

26 minutes ago, 101 said:

I genuinely had no idea about this until after McGlynn had left us and we were after a new manager.

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'd not be so sure about that. If Airdrie can stabilise at this level, I think they can potentially grow a fair bit. Caley on the other hand seem to be more like a Highland version of Hamilton.

You may not be wrong with that. Like I say there are fine margins in Scottish fitba. I would argue there more mileage to be got out of Inverness given recent spells in Premiership, cup runs etc. McCabe may feel like he would need a bigger step up to justify moving/stopping playing. 

Generally though, I just get frustrated with seeing the same names pop up every time. 

26 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

That certainly was the case under Dodds.

Hopefully with a new man we will move on and put this awful chapter behind us.

54 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

It’s always confused me how Bartley’s past misdemeanour seems to be glossed over and he gets constant media gigs? 

I've no detailed knowledge of his "past misdemeanour", but thought I'd read that he was in a relationship with the sports presenter Eilidh Barbour.  Eilidh always comes across as an intelligent and balanced person, so if they're still in a relationship you'd imagine that she must be fairly comfortable with his "past".

He's certainly well liked by the media - probably fits their diversity criteria well, plus he's young, smart, photogenic and is very lucid in front of the camera.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

That certainly was the case under Dodds.

Hopefully with a new man we will move on and put this awful chapter behind us.

There's definitely a fine line. When you're going for a new manager nobody wants an appointment where you know it's busy kicking the can down the road for 6 to 12 months. Gary Locke was the perfect example of that with ourselves - nobody other than our board thought he'd do anything positive.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It wouldnt be 3-5-2 initially. He was absolutely obsessed with getting a 5-2-3 shape working with us (purely because it never worked, bizarrely) to the point every single time we picked up a string of results we'd go straight back to it. Our squad last season (of ~40 players) was built around it too. Doesnt matter if you've no wingers he'll just play folk out of position.

He'd be a decent punt if he'd shown any signs he'd learned anything from his time in charge with us, but he was in the media last week claiming he was doing a good job and his sacking was harsh (because we were 9th and thats apparently great for us, while ignoring the run of 2 wins in 16 and the fact the players had clearly just given up under him), so id guess hes still not realised what he done wrong.

Look forward to lots of talk about great he is at everything and how he couldve "won at any sport" any time you have a winning streak, and then lots of talk about how ICT are "lucky to be competing in this division" any time you have a losing streak. He tried to gaslight folk into thinking our play off win v you was a greater achievement than the double.

A fair few ICT fans on Twitter seem to be right behind the idea of Davidson as manager. I don't like the idea in the slightest personally.

43 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I've no detailed knowledge of his "past misdemeanour", but thought I'd read that he was in a relationship with the sports presenter Eilidh Barbour.  Eilidh always comes across as an intelligent and balanced person, so if they're still in a relationship you'd imagine that she must be fairly comfortable with his "past".

He's certainly well liked by the media - probably fits their diversity criteria well, plus he's young, smart, photogenic and is very lucid in front of the camera.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-42160103.amp 

Basically threatened to ruin his bit on the sides life when she was going to tell his girlfriend about them. Doesn’t seem to get mentioned at all and hasn’t affected his career 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Dougie Imrie would be the sensible option but as it is ICT and their daft CEO in charge they'll go for some ex-Rangers or Hearts player. Maybe Kevin Thomson?

In the hypothetical and dramatic but not impossible scenario that Imrie is willing to move to another Championship club because he's tired of working with a tiny budget and this has made him unhappy with Morton's board generally, a move to Inverness would be from the frying pan into the fire.

Their budget is sustained by throwing substantial six figure sums onto a bonfire every year with no plan for how to get spending under control beyond hoping they fluke promotion, which can't last much longer with even the Scottish Cup money from last season going to paying up loans rather than stabilising them for years to come. They're a total shambles off the park and when you consider their real crowds are barely half the size of the fictional attendances they report, they surely can't sustain full-time football much longer.

1 hour ago, RiG said:

A fair few ICT fans on Twitter seem to be right behind the idea of Davidson as manager. I don't like the idea in the slightest personally.

Aye his first season with us will be enough for people to want him for years now, i think.

Probably similar to how Hughes lived off his Scottish Cup win with you for a while.

Suspect the similarities between the two managers/clubs doesnt end there either.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

In the hypothetical and dramatic but not impossible scenario that Imrie is willing to move to another Championship club because he's tired of working with a tiny budget and this has made him unhappy with Morton's board generally, a move to Inverness would be from the frying pan into the fire.

Their budget is sustained by throwing substantial six figure sums onto a bonfire every year with no plan for how to get spending under control beyond hoping they fluke promotion, which can't last much longer with even the Scottish Cup money from last season going to paying up loans rather than stabilising them for years to come. They're a total shambles off the park and when you consider their real crowds are barely half the size of the fictional attendances they report, they surely can't sustain full-time football much longer.

But apart from that...