Partick vs Pars

15 hours ago, Nightmare said:

For a team who kept so many clean sheets last season, I couldn’t believe how wide open Dunfermline were at the back. It seemed so easy for us to just flick the ball around a corner between the two CBs and someone was clean through on goal. No idea if the personnel has changed much from last year, but the Pars defending was atrocious at times.

We're missing two of our back three. We've been hammered by injuries all season. Comrie and Otoo are not natural CB's. They actually done well this season in there but yesterday just seems an off day. 

13 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

There were 773 away fans. Wee Jimmy Krankie announced it over the tannoy.

Fair enough - I heard someone say 500-odd so no idea where that number came from, but the tannoy in the JL is dreadful which probably explains it.

Either way, doesn’t really change my initial point. Ideally we’d be getting more through the door than 2930, but our home gate for standard games ranges from about 2500-3500, so yesterday is just… what our support is these days and has been for a long time.

15 hours ago, Nightmare said:

For a team who kept so many clean sheets last season, I couldn’t believe how wide open Dunfermline were at the back. It seemed so easy for us to just flick the ball around a corner between the two CBs and someone was clean through on goal. No idea if the personnel has changed much from last year, but the Pars defending was atrocious at times.

Big personnel change. Mehmet injured all season although was on the bench and will 100% start against Arbroath next weekend. Bene fractured his foot against Inverness a few weeks back and Rhys Breen who was Benedictus’s centre half partner for the majority of the season has also been in and out with injury, although due back in training tomorrow.

Comrie is a right wing back, about 5ft 8 and his best attribute is going forward. He’s now playing centre half, with Michael O’Hallaron shoehorned in at wing back.

Unfortunately for us our injury woes don’t end there. Arguably our best two midfielders from last term in Matty Todd and Richie-Hosler both long term injured and Ben Summers who came in on loan from Celtic and is a cut above everyone else now also missed out, plus a couple of guys who would have made the bench. As a result we had one outfield player who you thought could come on and add something, then some kids and two keepers. That’s how rubbish the bench was yesterday, we had two keepers on to beef it up a bit. 🤣

Yesterday won’t define our season. Thistle got absolutely dicked 0-3 against Arbroath last week. Yet I absolutely fancy out chances of beating them at East End next Saturday. It’s a strange old league, everyone on their day can beat everyone.

The most frustrating thing about yesterday was after an okay start, we then added two big wins on the board and felt like we could kick on. If we lost out to a goal yesterday I’d be okay but the manner of how it happened was very much like a Pars team of old under AJ or something. Gutless.

I’m over it now. Watched the highlights and listened to the interviews. Fairly refreshing from McPake and Hammy, said we were gash and deserved nothing essentially. I watched Kris Doolan’s interview last week after they lost to Arbroath, he said they just wanted to move on and give the fans a better performance the following week, and they did. Hopefully we can do the same next weekend.

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Don’t think I have attempted “patter” on this thread to merit that reply, but you do you. 

I mean responding to someone’s comment (however you think of it) with a dismissive, and also standardised response.  Not really adding much to the conversation.  

That’s what I meant, though not an important matter either way.  

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

The attendance was 3700 yesterday, with over 3k home fans.

Which for a run of the mill league game is pretty much at the high end of where our support has been for the past decade or so.

Weird crowdwank/trolling attempt tbh.

Apologies, assumed Thistle were a bigger team than that and got bigger crowds normally.

50 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Fair enough - I heard someone say 500-odd so no idea where that number came from, but the tannoy in the JL is dreadful which probably explains it.

Either way, doesn’t really change my initial point. Ideally we’d be getting more through the door than 2930, but our home gate for standard games ranges from about 2500-3500, so yesterday is just… what our support is these days and has been for a long time.

It is a wee bit strange. Pretty sure we got 3,000 STs this season and the home gate has hovered around that each game. On the face of it, it doesn’t look like we’ve got many pay as you go fans this season.

14 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

It is a wee bit strange. Pretty sure we got 3,000 STs this season and the home gate has hovered around that each game. On the face of it, it doesn’t look like we’ve got many pay as you go fans this season.

It is what it is. I would imagine that, based on the financial statement that came out at the end of last season, there will be a reasonable number of people who've bought a season ticket to help the club out despite knowing they wouldn't be able to attend every week, so I'd say we're probably still getting some walk up fans. 

The funny thing with the announcer was her attempt at pretending we were at Bayern Munich or something and not a mid table Scottish Championship match. Trying the whole "I'll say the first name, you say the surname" stuff after the goals. Think I heard a few muffled shouts of "Graham" after his goal but nothing for the other two. Maybe the sound doesn't carry, maybe the home fans don't know their players too well. I don't know. We tried it a few years back when announcing the team and it lasted about a fortnight as it was a cringe-fest. Not quite as bad as the Montrose guy giving it the South American "Goooooooooooooaaaaaaallllll" after a two yard tap in at the back post, but up there. It's weird as we have an actual professional broadcaster in Steven Mills who does some interviews for Pars TV and does the Spotify playlist and stuff but then we seem to have game but not great amateurs who do other interviews, play the music and do the tannoy. A shame.

1 minute ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The funny thing with the announcer was her attempt at pretending we were at Bayern Munich or something and not a mid table Scottish Championship match. Trying the whole "I'll say the first name, you say the surname" stuff after the goals. Think I heard a few muffled shouts of "Graham" after his goal but nothing for the other two. Maybe the sound doesn't carry, maybe the home fans don't know their players too well. I don't know. We tried it a few years back when announcing the team and it lasted about a fortnight as it was a cringe-fest. Not quite as bad as the Montrose guy giving it the South American "Goooooooooooooaaaaaaallllll" after a two yard tap in at the back post, but up there. It's weird as we have an actual professional broadcaster in Steven Mills who does some interviews for Pars TV and does the Spotify playlist and stuff but then we seem to have game but not great amateurs who do other interviews, play the music and do the tannoy. A shame.

We've been doing that for a while now - mostly it's fine, although the usual announcer sometimes insists upon doing it when we're about 3 goals down and have just grabbed a late consolation, which is absolutely not fine. 

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Apologies, assumed Thistle were a bigger team than that and got bigger crowds normally.

Who gets significantly bigger crowds though?  Obviously the ugly twins, the Edinburgh teams, the Dundee teams, Aberdeen.  Beyond that, maybe St Mirren and Motherwell, but mostly just due to being in the top flight.  The rest of the teams with respectable crowds are likely just hovering in the 2500-4500 zone.  Any variation is likely just due to economic circumstances and club performance/level.  

31 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

The funny thing with the announcer was her attempt at pretending we were at Bayern Munich or something and not a mid table Scottish Championship match. Trying the whole "I'll say the first name, you say the surname" stuff after the goals. Think I heard a few muffled shouts of "Graham" after his goal but nothing for the other two. Maybe the sound doesn't carry, maybe the home fans don't know their players too well. I don't know. We tried it a few years back when announcing the team and it lasted about a fortnight as it was a cringe-fest. 

Can’t really blame her tbf, she was only standing in I think and that is our usual etiquette, we’ve been doing that for at least 4 or 5 seasons (including when there was no fans in the ground for an entire year). 

Edited by JagsCG

24 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

We've been doing that for a while now - mostly it's fine, although the usual announcer sometimes insists upon doing it when we're about 3 goals down and have just grabbed a late consolation, which is absolutely not fine. 

You have been, and its quite weird, you’d have thought at some point someone would realise that nowhere near enough fans are responding with the surname and the majority just hear a deranged lunatic repeating saying the forename with nothing  coming back. 

20 minutes ago, Braesoyetts said:

Who gets significantly bigger crowds though?  Obviously the ugly twins, the Edinburgh teams, the Dundee teams, Aberdeen.  Beyond that, maybe St Mirren and Motherwell, but mostly just due to being in the top flight.  The rest of the teams with respectable crowds are likely just hovering in the 2500-4500 zone.  Any variation is likely just due to economic circumstances and club performance/level.  

I generally agree but 2500-4500 is a massive gap and I certainly would group them differently. 

We’ve been pushing 5k home crowd this season which is probably our peak at this level outwith exciting end of season games to potentially go up.

3k-5k is a massive difference in percentage terms.

I find it hard to criticise clubs for lack of crowds as they are all pushing hard to maximise them but we can’t pretend their aren’t differences.

32 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There's 100% a point where it goes into "trying to hard" territory". Arbroath are particular are fucking horrific for it with the "Jeezy Peeps min/Hit the Beans on Toast" patter. It's absolutely embarrassing because they've had it go 'viral' once, and after it's they're trying to repeat the punchline time and time again. Sounds very similar for Partick announcing the scorers. There's a point where you need to stop kicking the arse out of it and just accept it was an idea that didn't work. There's nothing wrong with trying something new but there is when it's taking the piss.