Bairns v The Mo

Two teams on a bit of form at the moment.  This could be a close one - the bookies disagree and have us as heavy favourites, which I’m surprised at.

The Mo must have one of the oldest average ages of a squad in the league.  Some great players in there though (I hate playing against Gardyne).  But you have Williamson, so whoever plays on the left wing for us is going to have fun…

after 4 wins on the bounce and everyone feeling a little better about our form, I kinda see this as a free hit for Montrose.  Unlike previous couple of seasons we aren't really expected or expecting to get much from the 4 matches against Falkirk.  I'd be more than happy to come away with a point but realistically going to be watching a spirited performance and a narrow defeat - who knows, could be, and hopefully am wrong.

Williamson - never really took to him to begin with, didn't look a footballer at all to begin with but slowly coming round to him, he's looked impressive and confident last few games

Wonder if SP will be tempted to play 3 centre halves with Waddell back, hopefully not as that would probably mean Webster missing out and a change of role for Gardyne who is probably playing his best football for the club at the moment

Probably our biggest test so far this season, even including the League Cup tie against Saint Mirren.

Falkirk have players who are capable of inflicting a lot of damage on us, particularly if our defence aren't on top form. They probably also have a defence capable of minimising our threat up front, in a way that Stirling Albion couldn't last Saturday.

If Falkirk have an inexplicably bad day, which seems unlikely, and we are at our very best, we may just about scrape something from the game. For me, it is more about how well the Mo face up to a stern challenge than the result. Having said that, this is football and anything can happen. I am just hoping we aren't torn a new one all over the park and come the final whistle, I will be one of those clapping the Mo off the park for giving a thoroughly creditable performance.

5 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Falkirk have players who are capable of inflicting a lot of damage on us, particularly if our defence aren't on top form. They probably also have a defence capable of minimising our threat up front, in a way that Stirling Albion couldn't last Saturday.

The first half of that statement is true.  The second half CAN be - but pretty much every game this season has seen us minimise opponents attackers only to present them with absolute gilt-edged opportunities in some sort of hilarious/calamitous manner.

Both teams to score, Falkirk to win by 1 or 2 but never to be comfortable.

1 minute ago, Disco Duck said:

The first half of that statement is true.  The second half CAN be - but pretty much every game this season has seen us minimise opponents attackers only to present them with absolute gilt-edged opportunities in some sort of hilarious/calamitous manner.

Both teams to score, Falkirk to win by 1 or 2 but never to be comfortable.

Yup.

We're playing well, but Brazil 1970 we ain't.

If possible, I would start the same team. This would give Ross some more game time, which I think he needs as he hasn't been too impressive so far, although I thought he was better on Saturday than the week before and would allow Agyeman to come off the bench second half to cause the kind of havoc that he did on Saturday. Would also mean he's being allowed to ease himself back in with less chance of aggrivating his injury. Kelty had no idea how to cope with him and I think Montrose would get a similar shock.

I’m pretty confident for this one, the squad is a lot more settled now and Kerr coming back from injury is a big boost. Also I’ve seen some Falkirk fans make some pretty negative comments about Ryan Williamson. I agree he doesn’t look the best on the ball but otherwise he has been superb for us so far!

1 hour ago, badgerthewitness said:

With 3 league wins on the trot, Montrose are the most in-form team we've faced so far. This could be a real test & we could have the added pressure of a Friday night Accies win. Should be a decent game.

Agree with all of this.

Slightly disconcerting that most of the Mo fans on here and the Mo guest on Falkirk Daft seem pretty relaxed and confident about this fixture due to a combination of their form and that they see it as a "free hit". The guest on Falkirk daft gave a pretty decent strong synopsis of their team and how they would cope with crosses, quick on the break, experienced squad etc.

It would be just like us to lose this and beat Hamilton! 

Looking forward to this one, as much for the day out as the game itself. Heading down on the train from Montrose at 10.21, lunch and an undetermined number of pints before what will hopefully be a good game.

My early season doom and gloom has been lifted over the last couple of games, hopefully we can click on Saturday and come away with something. 

1 hour ago, The Gable Endie said:

I’m pretty confident for this one, the squad is a lot more settled now and Kerr coming back from injury is a big boost. Also I’ve seen some Falkirk fans make some pretty negative comments about Ryan Williamson. I agree he doesn’t look the best on the ball but otherwise he has been superb for us so far!

Williamson would be a very decent wing-back if he could stay injury free. He's a bit of a bombscare at full back though because his defending isn't the best. For a tall guy he's not good in the air and quite easily brushed off the ball. His postioning was always quite poor when defending as well. I think he often suffered from poor confidence and I reckon that the expectation levels at Partick, Dunfermline and ourselves affected him. His injury record is horrendous and I often wonder if some of his injury woes were more in mind than body?

I notice that he's played almost every game for Montrose though so, hopefully, his injury problems are behind him and he can now kick on. A wee OG on Saturday wouldn't be unappreciated though! ;)

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Williamson would be a very decent wing-back if he could stay injury free. He's a bit of a bombscare at full back though because his defending isn't the best. For a tall guy he's not good in the air and quite easily brushed off the ball. His postioning was always quite poor when defending as well. I think he often suffered from poor confidence and I reckon that the expectation levels at Partick, Dunfermline and ourselves affected him. His injury record is horrendous and I often wonder if some of his injury woes were more in mind than body?

I notice that he's played almost every game for Montrose though so, hopefully, his injury problems are behind him and he can now kick on. A wee OG on Saturday wouldn't be unappreciated though! ;)

12 games on the trot he has played and that's not including Friendly matches at the start of the season.

51 minutes ago, mo83 said:

12 games on the trot he has played and that's not including Friendly matches at the start of the season.

I may be wrong of course, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's the highest number of consecutive games that he's played!

3 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

We absolutely must target him and keep him on the defensive as he does not have a tackle in him.

I don’t think Mcglynn ever really to him so I hope that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Would be tempted to swap Morrison and Ross throughout the match so they can both have a go at him 

7 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

We absolutely must target him and keep him on the defensive as he does not have a tackle in him.

Oh absolutely. There’s no logic to what I said, he was a hopeless defender for us and I’d be targeting attacks at him. It’s just that irrational feeling football can give at times. 

We all know well enough that Williamson can turn in a decent shift as a wing back, and once in a blue moon, he can score cracking goals.

However, our strength lies in attack. Williamson’s weakness lies in defending, so I am sure we know how to go about this.

Bairns win 4-2 (unless Berra gets the organisation and discipline mantra built in early, in which case I would go for 4-1).