Bairns v The Mo

Just now, PortyMo said:

That was a horrendous challenge and could easily have been a red. As others have said, I thought Steeves (No. 3) was off. 

There is no defence of Steeves, he should 100% have gone but I think yellow was ok for Nesbitt. Trying not to be too biased...

1 hour ago, Brummo said:

That was unlucky from a Montrose point of view. We were under the cosh for much of the second half. If we'd had Thomson on, I think we would have made more of an impact up front. We handled Falkirk's attack pretty well for most of the game.

Their first goal, we had a man down on the park and I think our players allowed that to distract them while the Falkirk player didn't see it and pressed on up the pitch, which led to their equaliser.

The away stand was too far away for me to see whether or not the Falkirk penalty was deserved but although the keeper took our player down on the edge of the box, I think as he denied the player a clear goal scoring opportunity as the last man, that probably justifies it being a penalty. Both our goals were well taken.

Morrison's goal looked an absolute screamer and was such a sickener from a Mo. perspective.

The time wasting in the last few minutes of the game is hardly unexpected to be fair. I think we would have been glad of a point considering Falkirk's dominance in the second half.

Although the result was a sickener, it shows the Mo aren't miles off the pace and there is still room for improvement, especially when we have a full squad to draw upon.

I thought, besides picking up a booking, Ryan Williamson had a pretty decent game.

I was genuinely surprised at the hype concerning Agyeman. Rather than "running riot", I felt he was well contained by the Mo defence and his final touch was poor today. In fact Falkirk seemed to improve after he left the pitch.

We piled on a load of subs, presumably to give them game time experience at a bigger venue. That might be useful in our cup game against Raith Rovers.

Overall, disappointed but not disheartened.

Williamson never got booked.

I thought he had a decent 1st half but was really under the cosh in the second half and struggled sometimes.

Thought Montrose were the best side we've faced so far this season tbf. Defensively resolute like QotS but carried a threat going forward and played some good stuff.  Contributed a lot to an entertaining game (minus the chronic timewasting) though we certainly deserved the 3 points.

Thought the officials were fairly hopeless for much of the match. Our penalty looked soft, Spencer making the most of any contact, I didnt notice a handball either. Will gladly accept after last season's farce and the fact it all came from a Montrose player being down 'injured' made it all the sweeter.

Would need to see it again but even from the south stand the Montrose penalty looked outside the box. You'd imagine Long gets a red if it is though. Steves should also have walked and the immediate substitution was a real comedy moment. 

Pretty mental ending as we looked very comfortable at 2-1 and all of a sudden out of nowhere a Montrose forward is bearing down on our goal without a Falkirk defender in 20 yards of him. Thought we had thrown it away especially with Donaldson missing that huge chance at 2-2, but Morrison's absolute #banger worthy of winning any game. 

Morrison my MotM but throught Gary Oliver did well when he came on

Thought the fans were brilliant throughout and stayed with the team right to the end, just like the last home game 

Sets up next week against Hamilton very nicely indeed 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876

19 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I had a horrible sensation I was watching Gazza on Gary Charles when Nesbitt did that. Looked like he properly fucked his knee. Hope I'm wrong. Couldn't believe they made him walk all the way around the pitch when he was clearly in a lot of pain.

I had said that too, can’t believe there wasn’t a stretcher for him just incase he made the injury worse by walking round the pitch 

3 minutes ago, PortyMo said:

Think we can agree that the referee made some bizarre decisions during the game. 

Just the norm for this league. In our 5 seasons in the league I think I have maybe seen a handful of decent refereeing performances. I bet fans of every team would say the same, the standard is honking.

I thought our penalty was a stonewaller from the challenge but I might have been willing it to be that way. Again a game I think we'd have lost or drawn last year so absolutely delighted to win and it really sets up next week as a cracker.

Impressed by Montrose having a proper go and you can imagine they'll be fighting it out for 3rd. Thought their keeper was decent at shot stopping but looked pretty dodgy for passbacks and kicking it out.

Delighted with every aspect of the Williamson stuff. Us booing him, him giving it to the fans when they scored, us shouting back at him after we took the lead, him laughing while timewasting at 2-2 and then finally him looking completely broken as we all celebrated the last minute winner. Pure football theatre and one of the best things about going to games, 10/10.

Think there’s a lot of bias on both sides here. Both teams wasted time when it suited, both teams could have argued that they would be disappointed to lose the game and for the most part I thought the ref was okay although I would be willing to reconsider that if I watch the foul for our penalty back and it was outside the box, it was certainly close from what I seen.

Overall, a good game of football, a good day out and a performance against a very good Falkirk team for the level that we can take positives from. 

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

I had said that too, can’t believe there wasn’t a stretcher for him just incase he made the injury worse by walking round the pitch 

I did see he was offered help by Chris, the kit man, plus the physio but he seemed to tell them he was ok to walk round. 

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

I thought our penalty was a stonewaller from the challenge but I might have been willing it to be that way. Again a game I think we'd have lost or drawn last year so absolutely delighted to win and it really sets up next week as a cracker.

Impressed by Montrose having a proper go and you can imagine they'll be fighting it out for 3rd. Thought their keeper was decent at shot stopping but looked pretty dodgy for passbacks and kicking it out.

Delighted with every aspect of the Williamson stuff. Us booing him, him giving it to the fans when they scored, us shouting back at him after we took the lead, him laughing while timewasting at 2-2 and then finally him looking completely broken as we all celebrated the last minute winner. Pure football theatre and one of the best things about going to games, 10/10.

Football theatre !

The best quote of the night. Totally sums the game up