Queens v Stirling

I'll never forget a game from around 40 years ago at Palmerston against the Binos (pretty sure the likes of John Colquhoun and John Philliben were playing) where we were cruising at 3-0 and somehow contrived to lose 3-5.  I may be wrong but I think it may have been Drew Busby who masterminded that collapse.

How ironic it is then that we were looking good this season after 3 wins on the bounce but now it's looking distinctly possible that we shoot ourselves in the foot and lose the next 5 with Stirling winning the fifth of them.

Binos win then.  It's written in the stars.  And because we're shite at home too.

29 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Everywhere is a tough place for us to go right now mate. Dumfries possibly being the nicest to look at.

You're heading to the right place then. Our home record in recent years is beyond awful. 

19 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

So long ago I don't remember when it was. Not since we crashed down to league 2 I think. Must be at least 12 or 13 years, maybe more?

The last time I saw Stirling play us at Palmerston there was some dude with an acoustic guitar in the away end. Does he still attend? :lol:

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You're heading to the right place then. Our home record in recent years is beyond awful. 

The last time I saw Stirling play us at Palmerston there was some dude with an acoustic guitar in the away end. Does he still attend? :lol:

Aiky? Not sure, but certainly not with his guitar (Rave on).

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If that was Aiky he went walkabout like an Aborigine a lot, so I doubt it.  The last time I went to Palmerston, Harold Wilson was prime minister and Barry Ryan was in the charts with Eloise mate.

12 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

So long ago I don't remember when it was. Not since we crashed down to league 2 I think. Must be at least 12 or 13 years, maybe more?

Can't remember the exact year but I think the worst QOS side I ever saw was back in the early 90s or thereabouts in a game against Stirling. I hadn't been a regular at the time having spent a decade working down south and living in London for a while, so the state of the team was a real shock.  I was up for a weekend and think we lost 5-1 at home and I left at the hour mark because we were way worse than an average pub side - it was so easy for the Binos that their players were joking with the home fans at the touchline when taking throw ins. Totally embarrassing it was - must have been the lowest ebb for the club - end of the Harkness years?

20 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Can't remember the exact year but I think the worst QOS side I ever saw was back in the early 90s or thereabouts in a game against Stirling. I hadn't been a regular at the time having spent a decade working down south and living in London for a while, so the state of the team was a real shock.  I was up for a weekend and think we lost 5-1 at home and I left at the hour mark because we were way worse than an average pub side - it was so easy for the Binos that their players were joking with the home fans at the touchline when taking throw ins. Totally embarrassing it was - must have been the lowest ebb for the club - end of the Harkness years?

I can't even remember that.  Real humiliation is getting pumped out of the Scottish cup 5-1  at home to Lothian Hutchison Vale.  You've never reached those depths so I envy you mate.

56 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

95/96 season.

Our team was Jim Butter, Brian McKeown, Des McKeown, Colin Campbell, David Lilley, Spider Ramsey, Bomber Harris, Steve Cody, Tommy Bryce, David Kennedy & Stevie Mallan with Duncan Campbell, Stuart Wilson & Garry Telfer on the bench.

So maybe not quite as bad as the Davie Wilson/Tommy McGinn/Frank McGarvey/Ally McLeod era teams - Mallan, Bryce & Lilley would walk into today's starting eleven -but still dodgy.

Manager was Billy McLaren though.  More than one ex-player I have spoken to who played under him said he was a horrible man, a stubborn bully who demoralised many a player (youths in particular).  So bad we hired him twice.

45 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

I can't even remember that.  Real humiliation is getting pumped out of the Scottish cup 5-1  at home to Lothian Hutchison Vale.  You've never reached those depths so I envy you mate.

We did lose 6-2 at home after taking the mighty then Highland League Ross County to a replay in the early 90s.  Not quite as low as Hutchie Vale I admit, but when it comes to talk of plumbing depths we always seem to be there or abouts.

12 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

We did lose 6-2 at home after taking the mighty then Highland League Ross County to a replay in the early 90s.  Not quite as low as Hutchie Vale I admit, but when it comes to talk of plumbing depths we always seem to be there or abouts.

Why is it it's the games we'd love to forget that we can't?  Bloody memories, behave yourselves.

5 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Why is it it's the games we'd love to forget that we can't?  Bloody memories, behave yourselves.

1-7 at home to Airdrie in the 70s ... 1-1 after 30 minutes, then 1-5 down at half-time.  How it never reached double figures is beyond me yet.  Queens fans have an infinite store of horrible memories to fall back on ...

Games between the 2 sides are indeed rare. A quick Google search shows that the last time we met was in the 2010/11 season. QoS won twice (2-0 then 4-1) and the other 2 games were 2-2 and 0-0 draws. 2007, 2005 and 2000 were the only seasons after the 90’s.

I’ll not make the trip down, but I don’t fear the trip and think we have a chance. Would be good if a couple of our injured players were back fit, I’m sure Dale Carrick would love to be.

Edited by BB_Bino

17 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

I don't know, I've done a fairly good job forgetting the last few seasons worth of games. 

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

It definitely wasn't the lowest ebb - because we beat you 7-0 at Palmerston in the same season!

15 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I'll never forget a game from around 40 years ago at Palmerston against the Binos (pretty sure the likes of John Colquhoun and John Philliben were playing) where we were cruising at 3-0 and somehow contrived to lose 3-5.  I may be wrong but I think it may have been Drew Busby who masterminded that collapse.

How ironic it is then that we were looking good this season after 3 wins on the bounce but now it's looking distinctly possible that we shoot ourselves in the foot and lose the next 5 with Stirling winning the fifth of them.

Binos win then.  It's written in the stars.  And because we're shite at home too.

Remember it well.

Colquhoun ran riot that day. x