Queens v Stirling

1 minute ago, Gnash said:

It definitely wasn't the lowest ebb - because we beat you 7-0 at Palmerston in the same season!

Jesus wept ... fortunately, I'd returned to my southern abode by the time that fiasco came round.

A cup tie in 68 was actually what whetted my appetite for following my home team.  I read in the paper (Express it would have been, my mum always bought that) that Queens had beaten top tier Stirling 3-1 in a replay - Stirling were a first division side back then (in a two league set up) so something of a cup shock.  Given they were only a few miles up the road, I pestered my neighbour into giving me a lift to the games ... and that was that.

41 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Jesus wept ... fortunately, I'd returned to my southern abode by the time that fiasco came round.

A cup tie in 68 was actually what whetted my appetite for following my home team.  I read in the paper (Express it would have been, my mum always bought that) that Queens had beaten top tier Stirling 3-1 in a replay - Stirling were a first division side back then (in a two league set up) so something of a cup shock.  Given they were only a few miles up the road, I pestered my neighbour into giving me a lift to the games ... and that was that.

Needless to say by the summer we were back in division 2.  That's the Binos for you.

4 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Needless to say by the summer we were back in division 2.  That's the Binos for you.

Queens fell out of the top tier in 63 (I think) and never made it back, so you're ahead of us on that aspect.

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Queens fell out of the top tier in 63 (I think) and never made it back, so you're ahead of us on that aspect.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

1964 I think.

It's much more recent than you suggested.  Virtually yesterday in fact.

Only because the Scottish League supremos were so unnerved at the prospect of the Queen of the South juggernaut rampaging it's way through the top flight after finishing runners-up in the old old second division in 1974/75 that they hastily restructured the league divisions for 1975/76.

Edited by Slipmat

The 7-0 game was a real highlight in a season full of them, best ever season supporting the Albion, bar none. Two things stick out about that game...

1. We won it by that margin without top scorer Stevie McCormick who was suspended

2. His replacement, Gary McGrotty, won us a penalty, when home keeper John 'Budgie' Burridge brought him down with his nose. 🤣

What a time to be alive that was. 

Canny see the same thing happening next weekend however, but I am looking forward to the trip. 

Any Queens fans know if away fans are allowed in the bar at the ground? 

44 minutes ago, StewartyMac said:

2. His replacement, Gary McGrotty, won us a penalty, when home keeper John 'Budgie' Burridge brought him down with his nose. 🤣

This is the second time Budgie has come up today. I was listening to Big Sam’s No Tippy Tappy Football podcast earlier today and he came up in that and now this. It’s funny because I remember him at Hibs, at was at the start of High School then and hadn’t seen anyone like him before. I remember him leaving Hibs, then a few months later popping up at Dunfermline to sit on the bench for a few games due to an injury crisis. Few years after that, he was on MOTD at City becoming the oldest Premier League Goalkeeper ever then I never heard of him again. It wasn’t until reading this that I realised he was in at a good number of Scottish clubs during his career, maybe didn’t play but he racked up some amount of clubs. Absolute maverick!!

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Only because the Scottish League supremos were so unnerved at the prospect of the Queen of the South juggernaut rampaging it's way through the top flight after finishing runners-up in the old old second division in 1974/75 that they hastily restructured the league divisions for 1975/76.

Remember that season well(ish). Sure we had a fine 2-1 win at Brockville with Iain Reid scoring (?). The Bairns pipped us for the title that season by a point. We got a brick through our bus window leaving Falkirk by way of thanks - friendly folk the Bairns.

3 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

A must win game for Queens.... 

Was beginning to wonder if the thread was about a game this week or an episode of  "All our Yesterday's" 

Tbh, I'm a bit jealous that I can't remember details of past games. 

Back on thread, hardly in must win territory yet, although it's getting close, we certainly need to stop the rot and soon. Home form has to improve drastically to give us a chance of climbing into play-off contention. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Was beginning to wonder if the thread was about a game this week or an episode of  "All our Yesterday's" 

Hands up, my fault - love reminiscing about bygone days.  Thing is, at my age I can't remember what I did five minutes ago but I can recall some things decades back.  That's auld gits for you.

5 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Hands up, my fault - love reminiscing about bygone days.  Thing is, at my age I can't remember what I did five minutes ago but I can recall some things decades back.  That's auld gits for you.

Tell me about it. I can't find the jersey I took out of the closet to put on after a shower.

20 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

This is the second time Budgie has come up today. I was listening to Big Sam’s No Tippy Tappy Football podcast earlier today and he came up in that and now this. It’s funny because I remember him at Hibs, at was at the start of High School then and hadn’t seen anyone like him before. I remember him leaving Hibs, then a few months later popping up at Dunfermline to sit on the bench for a few games due to an injury crisis. Few years after that, he was on MOTD at City becoming the oldest Premier League Goalkeeper ever then I never heard of him again. It wasn’t until reading this that I realised he was in at a good number of Scottish clubs during his career, maybe didn’t play but he racked up some amount of clubs. Absolute maverick!!

I watched Burridge play for Newcastle when I was a student there in around 1990.  

He was clearly well past it then, six years before he rocked up at us.  

He was laughable as Queens' goalkeeper.  You could almost have felt sorry for him, were he not such a swaggering twat.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I watched Burridge play for Newcastle when I was a student there in around 1990.  

He was clearly well past it then, six years before he rocked up at us.  

He was laughable as Queens' goalkeeper.  You could almost have felt sorry for him, were he not such a swaggering twat.

He's certainly a character is Burridge to be fair, a tee totaler who's never touched a drop in his life, mad into his fitness routines and extreme diets and unusual training methods, remember reading when he was at Hibs a few years earlier he would regularly train with three or four goalkeeper jerseys on whilst diving about the place so he would be more lightweight and free moving during games...... no me neither 🤷😂

His Wikipedia page is wild, played for something like 30 odd clubs up until he was about 50.

I too was at that 7-0 game from 1996, pretty sure Alex Bone grabbed three or four, my only abiding memory of Gary McGroty, apart from being pretty pish (he never scored for the Albion) was ex St Mirren team mate Jim Dick  jibing him one day at Forthbank when he wasn't stripped with...

"No even getting a game for a pub team these days wee man?"

Dick got pelters every time he played against Stirling Albion the rest of his career...

Dick by name........

12 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Back on thread, hardly in must win territory yet, although it's getting close, we certainly need to stop the rot and soon. Home form has to improve drastically to give us a chance of climbing into play-off contention. 

For me it is a must win not close it is here and now .

16 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

Tell me about it. I can't find the jersey I took out of the closet to put on after a shower.

Not too bad, at least you didn't put it on before getting in the shower. Going into a room and then thinking "what did I come in here to get?" must be about the most common senior moment I reckon.