Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

31 minutes ago, allyo said:

I'm sure the last time I was on here we were bonding over how disrespectful some posters are. 🤔

Okay... Stating to start Calum Patterson at the euros is surely a windup hence the response

22 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

The same Callum Wilson that literally scored for England at the last World Cup? 

And it’s Alfie Gilchrist, which isn’t a particularly Scottish sounding name IMO. 

I was having a laugh ya po-faced tit

On 29/04/2024 at 13:15, Lex said:

James Forrest?

Experienced at international level and he has something not many in our squad have at the moment - form. 

It continues to happen time after time. A player has a couple of decent matches, not even a couple in Forrest's case, and there's a clamour to get him in the next Scotland squad. Forrest came on against Aberdeen in the semi final, scored a goal because of woeful defending and was the sub subbed before the end. He certainly played well against Dundee and scored a great goal. But that's it.

21 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

It continues to happen time after time. A player has a couple of decent matches, not even a couple in Forrest's case, and there's a clamour to get him in the next Scotland squad. Forrest came on against Aberdeen in the semi final, scored a goal because of woeful defending and was the sub subbed before the end. He certainly played well against Dundee and scored a great goal. But that's it.

He's also a seasoned international who can and has covered rwb before. 

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Agree. Flavour of the month. Was surprised to hear Craigan and Stewart strongly back the idea.

The only player that has been ruled out is Ferguson with Patterson also unlikely. The rest are just uncertain. I could see circumstances where it could happen, but a lot would need to swing Forrest's way.

A larger squad lessens the need for utility players. a bonus if already in the squad (McLean, McTominay, Tierney), but not enough on its own.

Is he the best replacement available for Ferguson or Patterson?

Edited by 2426255

You make it seem like Forrest is some unknown youth player with no pedigree who’s had a couple of decent games.

It’s completely the opposite. Forrest is one of the most decorated players in Scottish football history, has 38 caps, and is a proven performer at international level scoring five goals. 

His versatility and experience is why he should be considered. Given the current injuries and lack of depth in the wide areas, I expect he will be in the squad. His recent return to fitness and form is just a footnote. 

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

You make it seem like Forrest is some unknown youth player with no pedigree who’s had a couple of decent games.

It’s completely the opposite. Forrest is one of the most decorated players in Scottish football history, has 38 caps, and is a proven performer at international level scoring five goals. 

His versatility and experience is why he should be considered. Given the current injuries and lack of depth in the wide areas, I expect he will be in the squad. His recent return to fitness and form is just a footnote. 

That's almost verbatim what Craigan and Stewart said. 

I know mate, im shocked too. I mean touting players for the Scotland team on the Scotland threads is pretty unexpected.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

He's also a seasoned international who can and has covered rwb before. 

If he continues to play well and with the injuries I'd be fully expecting him in the squad. Dont even think it would be a surprise.

Other than Fraser, we have next to no other experienced forward options who haven't been selected in a while so I believe he will be on Clarke's radar to take one of the 26 spots.

Certainly wouldn't be a bad shout to take him along considering we are crying out for these types of players in the squad

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I know mate, im shocked too. I mean touting players for the Scotland team on the Scotland threads is pretty unexpected.

It's not the touting, as you very well know, it's who the touting is in favour of.

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It was you who brought up touting players.

Im still confused mate, you said "a player" then used forrest as an example.

Are you saying your ok with the touting of players for Scotland as long as their not James Forrest?

3 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Im still confused mate, you said "a player" then used forrest as an example.

Are you saying your ok with the touting of players for Scotland as long as their not James Forrest?

My post was about James Forrest specifically, but highlighting that it's happened in the past. Forrest has been a regular international in the past and is undoubtedly vastly experienced. If he had played against Dundee, not scored and had an average game there would be no-one saying he should be brought into the squad, so all this clamour is based on one game and one game only.

Posted (edited)

I think there are reasons to recall Forrest. His form, fitness, previous Scotland goals, ability to cover RWB, ability to 'beat a man' and him being one of Scottish footballs most decorated players aren't important imo.

I think he could function well in the existing system. Probably has a good understanding of the game when we have the ball from his time at Celtic under Rodgers - what to do, where to be, when to play forward and when not to. All that crap.

Not physical, a ball carrier. Probably closer to a replacement for Armstrong than Ferguson. It just depends what Clarke is looking for, who doesn't make the squad and the overall dynamic with rest who do.

Edited by 2426255

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

My post was about James Forrest specifically, but highlighting that it's happened in the past. Forrest has been a regular international in the past and is undoubtedly vastly experienced. If he had played against Dundee, not scored and had an average game there would be no-one saying he should be brought into the squad, so all this clamour is based on one game and one game only.

"all this clamour" is overstating it surely? There have been about two folk who have talked about it as a possibility. At a time when a few of our attack minded midfielders are injured I'm quite pleased that someone who has scored important goals for us in the past is showing some form again. Would prefer he chose to do it against a different team but hey ho. If he keeps it up that's a good problem for us.

Edited by The Algebraist

3 minutes ago, The Algebraist said:

"all this clamour" is overstating it surely? There have been about two folk who have talked about it as a possibility. At a time when a few of our attack minded midfielders are injured I'm quite pleased that someone who has scored important goals for us in the past is showing some form again. Would prefer he chose to do it against a different team but hey ho. If he keeps it up that's a good problem for us.

BBC Scotland website pushing for his inclusion.