• White Pudding
  2. 2. 1st Round continued

• Beefburger
    • Chipsteak
  3. 3. 1st Round continued

• Smoked Sausage
    • Chicken

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/23 at 14:17

51 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You'd think that NE chippers would be 'jack of all trades, master of none' given all the additional options, but Central Scotland somehow manage to be inferior whilst offering a fraction of the fare. 

West - Central Scotland is utterly grim in this respect. 

A Coatbridge chippy somehow managed to win the fish supper of the year a few years back though. 

Not sure if it is still in existence. 

22 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Battered Polony et Fritters. Stunning.

IMG_7376.jpeg

I'd never heard of polony until I  moved to Dundee.

Loads of locals at work urged me to try it, so I did (in a roll, wasn't battered). Was....meh. Never tried it again since there are so many better options.

Don't get the reverence polony is held in by Dundonians.

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

West - Central Scotland is utterly grim in this respect. 

A Coatbridge chippy somehow managed to win the fish supper of the year a few years back though. 

Not sure if it is still in existence. 

Given that firms have to apply for and pay to enter these competitions, I'm always rather wary of their results.

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given that firms have to apply for and pay to enter these competitions, I'm always rather wary of their results.

I once had a chippie from the one in Brae, Shetland, whilst it was the reigning best chippie in the UK.

Was quite good but the one I'd had from The Fort Cafe in Lerwick a couple of days better was far superior (indeed it was the best chippie I'd ever had, fish supper if you're wondering; fish was haddock and was exceptionally tasty and fresh and batter was golden and crispy without being oily, chips were well cooked with a nice crisp to them and not soft undercooked pish).

Second best chippie I've ever had was in Stranraer (Starfish I think? Was also a fish supper, was also exceptional).

Edited by DA Baracus

6 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I once had a chippie from the one in Brae, Shetland, whilst it was the reigning best chippie in the UK.

Was quite good but the one I'd had from The Fort Cafe in Lerwick a couple of days better was far superior (indeed it was the best chippie I'd ever had, fish supper if you're wondering; fish was haddock and was exceptionally tasty and fresh and batter was golden and crispy without being oily, chips were well cooked with a nice crisp to them and not soft undercooked pish).

Second best chippie I've ever jar was in Stranraer (Starfish I think? Was also a fish supper, was also exceptional).

When the Anster chippy was in in its pomp, winning all the awards, the other local shops all raised their game. The Pittenweem chippy (RIP) went under the radar, but was outstanding fare. And these days the wee chippy in Anster seems to be the place to go. 

Accept poor standards and you will continue to get served substandard shite. 

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

When the Anster chippy was in in its pomp, winning all the awards, the other local shops all raised their game. The Pittenweem chippy (RIP) went under the radar, but was outstanding fare. And these days the wee chippy in Anster seems to be the place to go. 

Probably hard to go wrong with chippies that are in coastal locations. Third best chippie I've ever had was in Arbroath and seemingly the fish they used was landed that morning.

It's often the chips that let chippies down. Chip shop chips in general are rank I think, often undercooked, soggy nonsense with a horrible bite to them.

Edited by DA Baracus

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Looks like Scraps could be coming to the East Neuk! 

IMG_1392.jpeg

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Probably hard to go wrong with chippies that are in coastal locations. Third best chippie I've ever had was in Arbroath and seemingly the fish they used was landed that morning.

Pretty sure that most fish choices (e.g. haddock) is landed solely at Peterhead. Some coastal chippies probably benefit from generations of knowledge of cooking the product (or smoking it in the East Neuk or Arbroath), but the product itself is the same all over the country now. And there's probs just as many piss-poor efforts in costal towns in proportion as ones in Glasgow or Edinburgh. 

I went to The Fish Works at Largs this afternoon and got crab with lemon mayo on chips. It was tremendous. They state that their haddock etc. was landed in Peterhead but claim that the langoustines come from Largs. There are a few trawlers for those in the Firth of Clyde so it might check out, but am unconvinced that applies all year round. 

Edited by vikingTON

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

People rave on about "east coast" in musselburgh. It's OK, but rather annoyingly you can't buy a fish supper outright - you have to buy the fish and the chips as separate items.

"Single fish and single chips please"

Unless you say it in a Sean Connery fashion, in which case you might end up with a pile of pebbles in a box.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Looks like Scraps could be coming to the East Neuk! 

IMG_1392.jpeg

I've heard of it but thought it was a myth like drip tray pints and penny wrings!

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure that most fish choices (e.g. haddock) is landed solely at Peterhead. Some coastal chippies probably benefit from generations of knowledge of cooking the product (or smoking it in the East Neuk or Arbroath), but the product itself is the same all over the country now. And there's probs just as many piss-poor efforts in costal towns in proportion as ones in Glasgow or Edinburgh. 

I went to The Fish Works at Largs this afternoon and got crab with lemon mayo on chips. It was tremendous. They state that their haddock etc. was landed in Peterhead but claim that the langoustines come from Largs. There are a few trawlers for those in the Firth of Clyde so it might check out, but am unconvinced that applies all year round. 

Ah well, maybe it's a placebo that coastal chippies taste better.

14 minutes ago, philpy said:

People rave on about "east coast" in musselburgh. It's OK, but rather annoyingly you can't buy a fish supper outright - you have to buy the fish and the chips as separate items.

Buying chips separate in a chippy seems outrageously ridiculous.

8 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The Anster chippy was never the go to chippy for the locals, they always went up to the caravan park (RIP). i used to work in that chippy 1996, from April to Oct. It was  mini Glasgow during that time, wild.  You could  imagine the clientele that stayed for their 2 week holiday and you would be spot on!

Having relocated from the West coast to the East Coast recently, we’ve been trying out some of the local chip shops including the Anster Fish restaurant and the Wee Chippy , both are good with my preference being the Wee Chippy. Now to me there’s a great chip shop in Mallaig in the Station building, everything is cooked to order and totally fresh. Another good place for Fish and chips in Mallaig is the “Fish Market “ restaurant. I was in there once when a young American couple came in and asked if there was any Plaice available, staff went to the back window and shouted out, next thing someone pops up from a fishing boat carrying some fish and hands them over to the staff. The look on the couple’s face was brilliant.

Used to work for a fish guy in Eyemouth. Once a week he'd defrost a huge slab of frozen haddock in a plastic barrel then I'd lay the defrosted fish on trays and deliver them straight into the fridge at the chippy by the harbour.  Just because it's on the coast doesn't mean it's fresh. 

48 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Used to work for a fish guy in Eyemouth. Once a week he'd defrost a huge slab of frozen haddock in a plastic barrel then I'd lay the defrosted fish on trays and deliver them straight into the fridge at the chippy by the harbour.  Just because it's on the coast doesn't mean it's fresh. 

It's all frozen at sea nowadays as soon as it's caught 

On 05/11/2023 at 01:26, DA Baracus said:

I'd never heard of polony until I  moved to Dundee.

Loads of locals at work urged me to try it, so I did (in a roll, wasn't battered). Was....meh. Never tried it again since there are so many better options.

Don't get the reverence polony is held in by Dundonians.

Not by this Dundonian.  

On 04/11/2023 at 17:50, DA Baracus said:

It's often the chips that let chippies down. Chip shop chips in general are rank I think, often undercooked, soggy nonsense with a horrible bite to them.

Chip shop nearest to me does an excellent single [insert name of fish /sausage/pudding], but they've yet to suss out how to make decent chips, meaning I go elsewhere (usually 'Sea Salt + Sole' in Dyce, which is well worth the extra faff and expense).  

On 03/11/2023 at 13:45, Jives Miguel said:

Looking at that list from the original thread is interesting. I don't know what half of this shite even is

Sausage - acceptable
Mock Chop - tuechtar shite?
Haddock - acceptable
White Pudding  - tuechtar shite?
Beef Burger - somewhat acceptable
Chipsteak - tuechtar shite?
Smoked Sausage - unnaceptable
Chicken - unacceptable
Steak Pie - unacceptable
Black Pudding - somewhat acceptable
Pizza - acceptable
Haggis Pudding - acceptable
Red Pudding - tuechtar shite?
King Ribs - tuechtar shite?
Scampi - acceptable
Mince Pie - unacceptable

A wee while ago now, but visiting Partick fans developed a taste for red pudding suppers.