St Mirren v Hibs 08/11/23

Really difficult to know what to make of tonight but a point is a point.

Personally, I'm puzzled by some of the assessments of O'Hara on here following the game. I'm going to sound hyper critical but I thought he was woeful for the most part, and has been really struggling since he came back from injury. He has made a number of costly mistakes, including losing his man at Celtic Park last Wednesday, and his slack passing has caused us a number of problems in recent weeks.

Ryan Strain is another who has severely regressed. He was torn about last Wednesday and he was not his usual self tonight at all. His lung-bursting runs have deserted him and he seems almost afraid to take on his man.

Zach Hemming made a couple of good saves to keep us within touching distance at 1-0, and Baccus made one hell of a difference when he came on as did LJ. Toyosi has probably got to score from LJ's cross but I haven't seen it back so I could be talking mince, and Gogic had an off night.

We go again on Saturday. Lots to dwell on but we still came out with something to show for our efforts – despite the fact arguably two of our most talented players hardly kicked a ball tonight (in my opinion).

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Just in from post-match drinks and have rattled through the last 5 pages.

Disappointed not to see a @Melanius Mullarkay bubble bursting gif when we were losing 2-1 going into added time...maybe his internet is down.

We were pish, Hibs not much better. We didn't deserve to win but also didn't deserve to lose and by that rationale a draw was the right result.

Still 3 points clear of the team below us with a game in hand.

Sorry I missed the game. Was there a lap of honour?

7 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Poor performance from us for some reason. Too many bad passes and several players having a very off night. Mandron should be 4th pick behind Olusanya, Greive and Jamieson - at least those 3 work hard. Really surprised he came out second half considering he was totally useless first half.

Were you saying that after the St Johnstone game? 

We didn't play to his strengths last night. Strain for some reason was hanging back too much. The number of times McMenamin looked to get the ball played forward only to see Strain go backwards was a joke. Only Tanser looked to go forward down the other wing. Could Strain be nursing an injury who knows but the last 2 games he has not been the same. 

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

We didn't play to his strengths last night. Strain for some reason was hanging back too much. The number of times McMenamin looked to get the ball played forward only to see Strain go backwards was a joke. Only Tanser looked to go forward down the other wing. Could Strain be nursing an injury who knows but the last 2 games he has not been the same. 

Mandron struggled to make an impact last night but I didn't think he was dreadful. He did well against St Johnstone, also when he came on against Celtic and Hearts he was very good. Whether he falls down the pecking order when Ayunga is fit remains to be seen but he's already shown enough to think he's been a pretty solid acquisition.

42 minutes ago, AW saint said:

He needs to work a lot harder when we are out of possesion like the first half last night where he strolled about and didn't close down enough. Hence taken off after 50 mins due to poor workrate. 

7 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Really difficult to know what to make of tonight but a point is a point.

Personally, I'm puzzled by some of the assessments of O'Hara on here following the game. I'm going to sound hyper critical but I thought he was woeful for the most part, and has been really struggling since he came back from injury. He has made a number of costly mistakes, including losing his man at Celtic Park last Wednesday, and his slack passing has caused us a number of problems in recent weeks.

Ryan Strain is another who has severely regressed. He was torn about last Wednesday and he was not his usual self tonight at all. His lung-bursting runs have deserted him and he seems almost afraid to take on his man.

Zach Hemming made a couple of good saves to keep us within touching distance at 1-0, and Baccus made one hell of a difference when he came on as did LJ. Toyosi has probably got to score from LJ's cross but I haven't seen it back so I could be talking mince, and Gogic had an off night.

We go again on Saturday. Lots to dwell on but we still came out with something to show for our efforts – despite the fact arguably two of our most talented players hardly kicked a ball tonight (in my opinion).

Disagree strongly about Baccus. Thought he was terrible. Consistently gave the ball away and fouled people. 

Some  people need to get a grip. Two defeats all season and there is still a lot of moaning. That was a point gained for a good second half performance against an impressive Hibs display. Our best start for decades and folk are still not happy ffs

4 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Some  people need to get a grip. Two defeats all season and there is still a lot of moaning. That was a point gained for a good second half performance against an impressive Hibs display. Our best start for decades and folk are still not happy ffs

Pretty much this. Hibs at home last season gave us a massive headache and played us perfectly and beating us 1-0 soundly.

Pound for pound we are achieving better results against teams we struggled with last season. Hibs, St. Johnstone and a couple of very decent points at Livi and particularly Rugby Park spring to mind.

We're a side who seemingly refuse to accept we're beaten and that is a bloody good trait to have. Individuals will peak and trough so it's good that when it does happen, there's folk there we can change it with.

I’m struggling to buy into the narrative that we were ‘pish’, or O’Hara, Strain, Baccus and Mandron were terrible, etc. From my perspective, even though we undoubtably started poorly (the entire first 25 mins against the Fakes was also poor), we weren’t shite. Hibs played a fast press against us and we were definitely stuttering. Even then, at 0-1, I felt there was something in that game for us. We simply couldn’t create a clear chance, but I saw us put in a ton of crosses, and especially had joy down the Hibs right. I also thought Robbo’ made good substitutions at the right time. Greive had one run where he went past two or three guys, kept going into the box, and from a tight angle, was unlucky with a smart low effort that drifted past the post. For the entire 90 minutes, we passed it between ourselves pretty well - albeit we didn’t end up peppering Marshall’s goal with shots. Opinions, opinions, but I never felt like we were ‘pish’ at any point.

Anyway, could all have been so different if it hadn’t been for the Daizen red card Gogic unfortunate mistake.

As others have said, not our best performance of the season, but still picked up a point against a Hibs team we might have lost to last season. Uncharacteristic errors by Gogic and Taylor, but Hibs had players in the right areas of the pitch to exploit them. In other games we might have been able to rescue those situations. Credit to Zak for saving what looked like a certain second Hibs goal that would have been disastrous for us. And yes, Marshall is a pain in the ass. As usual though, Karma won the day. Onto Dens, a return to our recent form - starting brightly would help - and three points could be there for the taking. Trevor who?

There's just nothing more glorious than scoring after a player has been timewasting. Not having a go at the fact he was doing it, I'd want Hemming to do the same. 

But ramming it right in after they've been dicking about like that is one of the better things in football.

FWIW I thought we were well off it last night, but Baccus and Jamieson both made a difference when they came on. Ever since Baccus signed, right back at the start, we've been a better side with him in it. Absolutely nuts that people don't rate him.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

There's just nothing more glorious than scoring after a player has been timewasting. Not having a go at the fact he was doing it, I'd want Hemming to do the same. 

But ramming it right in after they've been dicking about like that is one of the better things in football.

FWIW I thought we were well off it last night, but Baccus and Jamieson both made a difference when they came on. Ever since Baccus signed, right back at the start, we've been a better side with him in it. Absolutely nuts that people don't rate him.

Anyone that doesn’t think Baccus is one of our best players watches football with their eyes closed.

Teams will inevitably work out how to play against each other. Hibs have played us more than anyone else, they had our number last night, even though we gifted them the chance ofnthe first goal, it was still a great finish.

Strain, O'Hara, Gogic, McMenamin all had off nights so to still get a point with a late equaliser shows great grit and determination. 

We gifted Hibs a chance at their opener but they really screwed up with our 2nd goal, Youhan (who was dangerous all night), has to manage that situation better, we go up the park and have a couple of bites at it but it was some finish from Jamieson. So composed.

Again without playing at our best we gain another point, can't be sniffed at. 

Our fans booing Marshall for time wasting is hilarious, we have been at it all season when we have been in the lead 😂. Fair enough Hemming has been booked for it every time, which is what I had an issue with last night. 

49 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Reminds me of an anecdote about a moaning fan being told to give it a rest. He replies "I remember when we had players like McGarvey, Stark, and Fitzpatrick" 

"Aye, and your face was tripping you then as well"

Can anyone explain in the lead up to the penalty award why big Zachary was going absolutely mental on the halfway line while the referee was looking at the VAR screen?

Felt the big man once again kept us in the game with some crucial saves at key moments in the game. 

Not seen the highlights or goal replays. Felt at the time he could have done better at the first goal but that aside he was arguably our MOTM. 

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Can anyone explain in the lead up to the penalty award why big Zachary was going absolutely mental on the halfway line while the referee was looking at the VAR screen?. 

Marshall stood on the penalty spot and tried to scuff it up. 

9 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Can anyone explain in the lead up to the penalty award why big Zachary was going absolutely mental on the halfway line while the referee was looking at the VAR screen?

Felt the big man once again kept us in the game with some crucial saves at key moments in the game. 

Not seen the highlights or goal replays. Felt at the time he could have done better at the first goal but that aside he was arguably our MOTM.