The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

This is my first year, and I'm totally confused by loads of posts on here. Can you see who everyone has chosen? What's all this solo picks and Deadly Duos? I'm old and need help.

All the answers you need are on the first page of the thread. There is a post which contains a spreadsheet containing the details of all of the posters who are playing the game, and who they’ve picked in their squads. A solo shot is when a person dies and they’ve only been picked by one player, I.e me this week with David Soul. A deadly duo is where someone dies and only two players have picked them (Mario Zagallo this week, for instance). 

That’s the beauty of the game. Do you pack your squad with well (or not well as the case may be be) kent faces and risk getting the same points as everyone else? Or do you pop a couple of randoms in your team who no one else may have, and celebrate loosely when said random meets their maker? 

Anyway, Mon the fucking reaper, get that scythe looked oot. 

9 minutes ago, Ned Nederlander said:

I notice Draper's Wiki page and the Mirror state that he passed on the 3rd :ph34r:

Kate Garraway's devastating 12 hour flight after Derek Draper suffered heart attack in Mexico - Mirror Online

I noticed something similar was said on the Daily Heil in a piece they wrote about her. I figured Miguel Sanchez was still in a dark room contemplating Glynis Johns/David Soul for solos shot (both died on the 4th). 

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

This is my first year, and I'm totally confused by loads of posts on here. Can you see who everyone has chosen? What's all this solo picks and Deadly Duos? I'm old and need help.

Everything is on the first page of the thread.

10 hours ago, Aim Here said:

@alta-pete is doing that experiment this year. If he wins with a record-breaking 12 hits, all with unnatural causes bonuses from defenestration, then it might be time for a rule change.

I await with interest. Is there an difference between an obituary and a report of death?

#seriousbusiness 

Posted (edited)

Week 1 update

Remember last December when nothing happened? Well.

Up first this year we have Kate Garraway's husband and professional Covid patient, Derek Draper: Derek Draper obituary | Derek Draper | The Guardian

When Peter Mandelson was thinking of hiring Derek Draper as a research assistant in 1992, he called a well-placed Labour colleague for a reference. He was advised that his young candidate was “rough, tough and ruthless”. The description was meant to be discouraging, but Draper nevertheless got the job and thus secured his foot on a ladder that would give him a privileged view of the political operation that became Tony Blair’s New Labour government.

Draper was at the time a larger-than-life character, entertaining and unpredictable but with an irrepressible sense of his own importance. He earned a fortune, drove a vintage Mercedes and had a well-documented and colourful private life. But a boastful reference to his political influence, which appeared in a 1998 Observer newspaper exposé suggesting that certain lobbyists close to Labour were offering access and valuable market intelligence about government policy to their clients, immediately cost Draper his job as director of a lobbying company and his part-time employment as a newspaper columnist on the Daily Express – as well as his public reputation.

“There are 17 people who count in this government and to say that I am intimate with all of them is the understatement of the century,” Draper had asserted of his personal standing in relation to the Blair administration in the newspaperObserver report. Although he was not responsible for any illegal activity in what was dubbed the “Lobbygate” scandal, his rodomontade had profound personal repercussions, leading to a breakdown, a sustained period of serious depression and seven years in therapy.

What a lad. Draper died at 56 so he's worth 69 Base Points. He's also the first death of the year so gets a 25 point First Blood bonus. There's a mixture of regular picks and Captaincies, so I'll just list everyone

94 (Base Points) @amnarab, @Arch Stanton, @mozam76, @Ned Nederlander, @psv_killie, @sparky88, @The_Craig, @The DA, @The Naitch, @ThomCat

129 (Vice-Captain) @cdhafc1874, @lichtgilphead

163 (Captain) @lolls, @Moomintroll, @pub car king, @Salvo Montalbano

==============

Second death this week was Hutch, David Soul: Starsky & Hutch actor David Soul dies aged 80 | US news | The Guardian

Born on 28 August 1943 in Chicago, Illinois, Soul grew up in a religious family of Norwegian descent. His father, Richard Solberg, was a Lutheran minister and a history professor. “The atmosphere was strict when I was growing up but tempered by love,” Soul recalled to the Guardian in 2012. “We were a very, very religious family – we weren’t fundamentalists, just very worshipful and gave credit to God for almost everything.”

The British American actor was best known for his role as Detective Kenneth “Hutch” Hutchinson on Starsky & Hutch, the US action TV series which ran from 1975 to 1979. Other notable roles included Joshua Bolt in the comedy western Here Come the Brides, from 1968 to 1970, and as Officer John Davis in the 1973 film Magnum Force. Soul was also a singer with such hits as Don’t Give Up on Us and Silver Lady, which both went to No 1 in the UK.

Soul died at 80 so he's worth 45 Base Points for @mozam76, with a Solo Shot taking that to 95 points.

==============

Third death this week was actor Glynis Johns: Glynis Johns obituary | Film | The Guardian

In the childhood memories of more than one generation, Glynis Johns, who has died aged 100, will be best remembered as the Edwardian materfamilias of the hugely popular Walt Disney musical Mary Poppins (1964). Winifred Banks, married to David Tomlinson’s George W Banks, is the mother of Jane and Michael, the children in the care of the magical nanny played by Julie Andrews. A protester for the right to vote, Winifred delivers a spirited rendition of the song Sister Suffragette – “Our daughters’ daughters will adore us. And they’ll sing in grateful chorus: ‘Well done, Sister Suffragette!’” – as the children’s previous nanny tries to quit.

But the husky-voiced actor had other claims to fame from her more than 60 films and 30 stage productions. In 1973, Stephen Sondheim composed the song Send in the Clowns for Johns when she was cast in the leading role of the premiere production of his musical A Little Night Music, on Broadway. And she had won initial stardom in the British cinema as a mermaid.

That second bit is a bad example, when I hear Send in the Clowns I just think of the Krusty Komeback Special.

Johns died at 100 so she's worth 25 Base Points for @sleazy, @stanton and @Sweaty Morph

==============

Final death this week was former Brazil player and manager Mario Zagallo: Mário Zagallo, World Cup-winning player and coach for Brazil, dies aged 92 | Brazil | The Guardian

The first person to win the World Cup both as a player and a manager, Zagallo is for many Brazilian football fans synonymous with patriotism, grit and glory. The Brazilian football confederation president, Ednaldo Rodrigues, confirmed Zagallo’s death in the early hours of Saturday, stating he “is one of the biggest legends” of the sport. No cause of death was released by the federation or his family.

“We offer solidarity to his family members and fans in this moment of grief for the departure of this great hero of our football,” said Rodrigues. Several Brazilian clubs where Zagallo played and coached also expressed their condolences. Zagallo’s social media channels called him “a dedicated father, a loving grandfather, a caring father-in-law, a loyal friend, a victorious professional and a great human being”. The text added: “A gigantic hero. A patriot that leaves us a legacy of great achievements.”

I'll leave you with a picture of his 1958 win:

image.png.965cd616befa80a8e5217968c7100685.png

Seems like winning the World Cup feels good.

Zagallo died at 92 so he's worth 33 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo taking that to 58 points for @Florentine_Pogen and @tamthebam

After that, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 189
2. lolls, Moomintroll, pub car king, Salvo Montalbano 163
6. cdhafc1874, lichtgilphead 129
8. amnarab, Arch Stanton, Ned Nederlander, psv_killie, sparky88, The_Craig, The DA, The Naitch, ThomCat 94
17. Florentine_Pogen, tamthebam 58
19. sleazy, stanton, Sweaty Morph 25
22. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

And while I'm here, something I actually thought of before the week's early start - currently the First Blood and Last Gasp rules are a bit vague regarding multiple deaths on the same day. The rule now adds "If more than one death is recorded on the same day, each pick will receive the bonus." I don't think there's a fairer way to do it.

I've also just realised I don't know how many points the First Blood/Last Gasp bonus should be, and I will sort that shortly. 

5 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 1 update

That second bit is a bad example, when I hear Send in the Clowns I just think of the Krusty Komeback Special.

Me too...

season 9 GIF

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 1 update

Up first this year we have Kate Garraway's husband and professional Covid patient, Derek Draper: Derek Draper obituary | Derek Draper | The Guardian

What a lad. Draper died at 56 so he's worth 69 Base Points. He's also the first death of the year so gets a 25 point First Blood bonus. There's a mixture of regular picks and Captaincies, so I'll just list everyone

94 (Base Points) @amnarab, @Arch Stanton, @mozam76, @Ned Nederlander, @psv_killie, @sparky88, @The_Craig, @The DA, @The Naitch, @ThomCat

==============

Second death this week was Hutch, David Soul: Starsky & Hutch actor David Soul dies aged 80 | US news | The Guardian

Soul died at 80 so he's worth 45 Base Points for @mozam76, with a Solo Shot taking that to 95 points.

==============

Third death this week was actor Glynis Johns: Glynis Johns obituary | Film | The Guardian

Johns died at 100 so she's worth 25 Base Points for @sleazy, @stanton and @Sweaty Morph

==============

Final death this week was former Brazil player and manager Mario Zagallo: Mário Zagallo, World Cup-winning player and coach for Brazil, dies aged 92 | Brazil | The Guardian

Zagallo died at 92 so he's worth 33 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo taking that to 58 points for @Florentine_Pogen and @tamthebam

1. lolls, Moomintroll, pub car king, Salvo Montalbano 163
5. cdhafc1874, lichtgilphead 129
7. mozam76 95
8. amnarab, Arch Stanton, Ned Nederlander, psv_killie, sparky88, The_Craig, The DA, The Naitch, ThomCat 94
22. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Have beaten last years total poinrs in the 1st week, that will do for me as I will spend the rest of the year sliding down the table. At least I will not receive the dreaded nul points, also thoughts & prayers etc.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 1 update

==============

==============

==============

1. lolls, Moomintroll, pub car king, Salvo Montalbano 163
5. cdhafc1874, lichtgilphead 129
7. mozam76 95
22. Everyone else 0

You’ve no’ added my points for Draper there chief. Think I’m top of the heap. 

#seriousbusiness

15 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Have beaten last years total poinrs in the 1st week, that will do for me as I will spend the rest of the year sliding down the table. At least I will not receive the dreaded nul points, also thoughts & prayers etc.

Me too. 

#Stopthecount

15 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Reports that Cindy...*ahem*......Cinders Morgan, who starred in 'Caddyshack' and 'Tron' has fizzled out at 69.

It appears she would be in last years points, not this one.

Screenshot_20240107_155724_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

It appears she would be in last years points, not this one.

Screenshot_20240107_155724_Chrome.jpg

This digging up of last year's bodies is giving me the fear again. Thankfully nobody picked yer last year, either.

Top of the table after week 1, with 189 points from two picks. In the entirety of last year I managed 200 points via three picks. 

Fully aware that my position in the table will drop quicker than a Leith hoors knickers, yet I can still say with certainty - I fucking love this game. 

Edited by mozam76

2 solo shots (Tom Stafford and Barbara Bain) and 2 deadly duos (Jim Lovell and Bill Ward). Not bad I suppose given its my first go.

I did think of an entire astronaut team, as they're all getting on a bit. Maybe next year. I suppose Barbara Bain sort of counts...

11 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Top of the table after week 1, with 189 points from two picks. In the entirety of last year I managed 200 points via three picks. 

Fully aware that my position in the table will drop quicker than a Leith hoors knickers, yet I can still say with certainty - I fucking love this game. 

Yes it's quite exciting.