The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

In regard to Navalny I keep thinking of Blackadder becoming the Returning Officer when the last one "accidentally brutally stabbed himself in the stomach while shaving" and Dunny-in-the-Wold's only voter after the last one "accidentally brutally cut off his head while combing his hair"

Hmmm…

5:31PM

Ex-Georgian leader fears he is 'next on Putin's death list'

Mikheil Saakashvili, the imprisoned former Georgian leader, believes he may be “next on Putin’s death row” after Alexei Navalny collapsed and died in an Arctic penal colony.

Praising Mr Navalny as a “great hero”, Mr Saakashvili said: “I appeal now to the West and participants of the Munich Security Conference to try to save at least Vladimir Kara-Murza, Ilya Yashin, and other political prisoners of the Russian regime.

“Also, try to save me. I am also the personal prisoner of Vladimir Putin and I have been poisoned in captivity while the world has looked on.

“Putin often compared Navalny with me. He promised to hang me. With Navalny now gone, am I the next on Putin’s death row?”

Now, who was it I picked as my Vice Captain again? 

IMG_7801.gif

Edited by alta-pete
...and a solo shot too you say. Oh my....

Week 7 update

One death this week, Russian politician Alexei Navalny: Alexei Navalny obituary | Russia | The Guardian

Alexei Navalny, who has died suddenly aged 47 while in prison, was Russia’s best-known campaigner against high-level corruption. For many years he was the leading critic and opponent of President Vladimir Putin and his political party, United Russia.

Repeated arrests, jail sentences and physical assaults did not deter Navalny from digging up financial scandals, which he published on his blogs and X feeds as well as YouTube. In a 2011 radio interview, he described United Russia as a “party of crooks and thieves”, which became a powerful and popular mantra on social media and at political protests.

There's a lot to say about this. There's probably a lot more nobody can say because nobody knows, and nobody can or will know. Personally I hope the inevitable nuclear desolation is more like Fallout or Metro than Threads or Modern Warfare. What we don't know right now is how he died, so I'm unable to add an Unnatural Causes bonus. Like Matthew Perry last year I'll keep an eye out and see what the Russian government says about how its most notorious critic died while in their custody.

Until then, Navalny died at 47 so he's worth 78 Base Points for @Billy Jean King, @invergowrie arab, @Karpaty Lviv, @lolls, @parxyz, @Ray Patterson and @weirdcal. @alta-pete gets a Captain bonus for 156 points and @Arabdownunder gets a Vice-Captain bonus for 117 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 402
2. lolls 316
3. Billy Jean King 303
4. psv_killie 291
5. Ned Nederlander 282
6. lichtgilphead 279
7. The_Craig 254
8. pub car king 238
9. sparky88 232
10. Indale Winton, JustOneCornetto 225
12. Arch Stanton 207
13. cdhafc1874 204
14. weirdcal 191
15. Melanius Mullarkant 176

16. amnarab, The DA, The Naitch 169
19. Moomintroll, Salvo Montalbano 163
21. alta-pete 156
22. blackislekillie, Bully Wee Villa, choirbairn, Desp, Oystercatcher, peasy23 150
28. tamthebam 144
29. parxyz 125
30. Arabdownunder 117

31. buddiepaul, chomp my root, El Guapo, Forest_Fifer, mathematics, scottsdad, Trogdor, TxRover 113
39. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100

41. ThomCat 94
42. invergowrie arab, Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 78
47. Arbroathlegend36-0, DG.Roma, Lofarl, Mark Connolly, qos_75, Savage Henry, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
54. D Angelo Barksdale 71

55. Florentine_Pogen 58
56. stanton 25
57. Everyone else 0 

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

25 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 7 update

One death this week, Russian politician Alexei Navalny: Alexei Navalny obituary | Russia | The Guardian

There's a lot to say about this. There's probably a lot more nobody can say because nobody knows, and nobody can or will know. Personally I hope the inevitable nuclear desolation is more like Fallout or Metro than Threads or Modern Warfare. What we don't know right now is how he died, so I'm unable to add an Unnatural Causes bonus. Like Matthew Perry last year I'll keep an eye out and see what the Russian government says about how its most notorious critic died while in their custody.

What's the adjudication on 'Sudden Death Syndrome'? Is that a natural cause or not?