The big one II: Accies v Falkirk

I’m going to argue that we should not even be thinking about anything other than winning this one. Any thoughts of holding out for a point usually end in disappointment for us.

Win this and we have the potential to open up a 6 point gap on an even number of games. Then we are in a strong position for the run in…,,

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

With you being the away team I'd agree.

Away team with a home game (albeit a tough one) in hand. I don't want us to play for a draw, but barring a scenario where we inexplicably throw away a winning situation where a draw feels like a loss, I wouldn't be whinging with a point on Sat night.

As I said on our thread though, it really is way past time we won a game like this where it feels pivotal to a title challenge. 

I can see this being a similar type of  game to the one at TFS. Both teams cancelling each other out. I'll be surprised if either side really goes gung ho. Hamilton may be a bit more adventurous with them being at home, I wasn't confident we would win at Montrose and I'm not confident we'll win here either. 3 points would be massive but a point wouldn't be the worst result IF we win our game in hand against Cove. A loss whilst not good isn't a disaster in the grand scheme of things as I think more points will be dropped by both teams before the end of the season it just makes 3 points from the Cove game all the more important.

2 hours ago, ebobsboy said:

I can see this being a similar type of  game to the one at TFS. Both teams cancelling each other out. I'll be surprised if either side really goes gung ho. Hamilton may be a bit more adventurous with them being at home, I wasn't confident we would win at Montrose and I'm not confident we'll win here either. 3 points would be massive but a point wouldn't be the worst result IF we win our game in hand against Cove. A loss whilst not good isn't a disaster in the grand scheme of things as I think more points will be dropped by both teams before the end of the season it just makes 3 points from the Cove game all the more important.

Actually think this game will suit us better than the Montrose game, said at the time I was probably more concerned about that game as Montrose do seem to know how to frustrate and make it difficult for us. Hamilton you’d think will realise they really need to try and win this game being the home side and with us having the game in hand won’t be able to sit in and try to frustrate they way they did at TFS, if they play a bit more expansively we’ve shown so far this season in those types of games our forward players do excel having that bit more space. Our best performances have all been against the better sides who feel more comfortable playing openly against us. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

Just now, LatapyBairn. said:

Actually think this game will suit us better than the Montrose game, said at the time I was actually more concerned about that game as Montrose do seem to know how to frustrate and make it difficult for us. Hamilton you’d think will realise they really need to try and win this game being the home side and with us having the game in hand won’t be able to sit in and try to frustrate they way they did at TFS, if they play a bit more expansively we’ve shown so far this season in those types of games our forward players do excel having that bit more space. Our best performances have all been against the better sides who feel more comfortable playing openly. 

If this happens we've got to hope we start putting away a higher percentage of chances than we are currently. We've been way too wasteful at times.

Although it would be a better result for us than for Hamilton I definitely don’t think Hamilton drawing is anything even close to disaster for them! If we do manage to get the win however it is a big blow for them and surely puts us in the driving seat but that’s only provided we win our (very tough) game in hand. If it ends up a draw I’d still say it’s way way to close to attempt and call, still far to much football to be played with injuries and January signings likely to effect things as well. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I don't want to lose this game, obviously, but talk of it being a disaster if we do is a bit wide of the mark. A loss on Saturday isn't a disaster for either side as A - we've both shown we can drop points against other teams and B - there would still be 2 games to play against each other.

Psychologically the victor will still be within 1 game's reach of the other. Yes Falkirk have a game in hand, but it's not a gimme, and, as it won't be played for about 3 months anyway, will be almost (potentially more so) as big a game as this one anyway.

The real difference in outcome if we win will be to show the rest of the league Falkirk are beatable.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't want to lose this game, obviously, but talk of it being a disaster if we do is a bit wide of the mark. A loss on Saturday isn't a disaster for either side as A - we've both shown we can drop points against other teams and B - there would still be 2 games to play against each other.

Psychologically the victor will still be within 1 game's reach of the other. Yes Falkirk have a game in hand, but it's not a gimme, and, as it won't be played for about 3 months anyway, will be almost (potentially more so) as big a game as this one anyway.

The real difference in outcome if we win will be to show the rest of the league Falkirk are beatable.

Game v cove scheduled for 9th January. 

4 hours ago, Ian Mcleod said:

Not sure about that apart from the QOTS game we've been abysmal for weeks now I would happily take a draw on Saturday with the way we've been playing lately.

Abysmal? Is this your first season supporting Accies? 

I'll give you the Kelty cup game (I wasn't there but by all accounts we were very bad).

We get you don't like Rankin but face the facts, he's not going anywhere. We're top of the league, we score goals almost every week and we concede very few goals at the same time. Crack a smile and just attempt to be positive for once. 

1 minute ago, Accies1 said:

I'll give you the Kelty cup game (I wasn't there but by all accounts we were very bad).

We get you don't like Rankin but face the facts, he's not going anywhere. We're top of the league, we score goals almost every week and we concede very few goals at the same time. Crack a smile and just attempt to be positive for once. 

Thanks Mr Rankin 🤔

3 hours ago, Accies1 said:

You need to remember we are in league 1 and he's got a better standard of players than the stuff we had in the championship and even some of the stuff in the premiership. Alloa on Saturday imo was abysmal and at times we were lucky not to lose. Rankin then goes and brings Hewitt and Tait on and leaves our top goal scorer in the league and arguably our best player on the bench. QOTS the week before as I've  said before was our best performance of the season and everyone deserves credit for that. Annan Away I thought the majority of the players were excellent but again Rankin's changes nearly cost us the game bringing Mumbongo on which was like playing with 9 men with already having the sending off. Hewitt should have never of came on either and he brought Marley on for his first game in months which was also a bad decision players deserve credit for that game but if that Annan strike in the 95th minute which hit the post goes in it's a completely different story. Kelty was abysmal everything about that game was abysmal. Raith the week before was also pretty poor and Rankin should have subbed O'Brien on the second Kilday got sent instead of waiting until we go another 2 goals down then he goes and chucks 4 subs on at once but I will be nice and give him the benfit of the doubt as Raith are a very good team I've watched them a couple of times since that game and they have impressed me. Stirling 5-0 we were decent however I think a big part of that game was due to how knackered and done the Stirling players were. Cove 1-0 again was a big part due to Rankin bringing Stephen Hendrie on for Connor Murray when we were going for a goal will never make sense to me we concede the goal a couple of minutes later due to that sub. Not to mention that we also drew to Edinburgh City at Home a couple of weeks before as well. I think we've got a lot to be positive at the minute at the club the new owner has made a great start at getting fans back on the clubs side and we've had the best summer transfer window in years. I just have no faith that Rankin is the man to lead it and a lot of the decisions he's made in the past 18 months backs that up. I would love to be proved wrong and he ends up getting us promoted this season I just highly doubt that will be the case. 

40 minutes ago, Ian Mcleod said:

You need to remember we are in league 1 and he's got a better standard of players than the stuff we had in the championship and even some of the stuff in the premiership. Alloa on Saturday imo was abysmal and at times we were lucky not to lose. Rankin then goes and brings Hewitt and Tait on and leaves our top goal scorer in the league and arguably our best player on the bench. QOTS the week before as I've  said before was our best performance of the season and everyone deserves credit for that. Annan Away I thought the majority of the players were excellent but again Rankin's changes nearly cost us the game bringing Mumbongo on which was like playing with 9 men with already having the sending off. Hewitt should have never of came on either and he brought Marley on for his first game in months which was also a bad decision players deserve credit for that game but if that Annan strike in the 95th minute which hit the post goes in it's a completely different story. Kelty was abysmal everything about that game was abysmal. Raith the week before was also pretty poor and Rankin should have subbed O'Brien on the second Kilday got sent instead of waiting until we go another 2 goals down then he goes and chucks 4 subs on at once but I will be nice and give him the benfit of the doubt as Raith are a very good team I've watched them a couple of times since that game and they have impressed me. Stirling 5-0 we were decent however I think a big part of that game was due to how knackered and done the Stirling players were. Cove 1-0 again was a big part due to Rankin bringing Stephen Hendrie on for Connor Murray when we were going for a goal will never make sense to me we concede the goal a couple of minutes later due to that sub. Not to mention that we also drew to Edinburgh City at Home a couple of weeks before as well. I think we've got a lot to be positive at the minute at the club the new owner has made a great start at getting fans back on the clubs side and we've had the best summer transfer window in years. I just have no faith that Rankin is the man to lead it and a lot of the decisions he's made in the past 18 months backs that up. I would love to be proved wrong and he ends up getting us promoted this season I just highly doubt that will be the case. 

James Joyce eat your heart out.