Raith Rovers vs Ayr United, 22 Dec

Really poor from us tonight. Can blame the disruption of the Stanton injury but I didn’t think we were anywhere near our best even before then. Amazing that we scored 4 goals and I don’t think we were anywhere near our best going forward and it rarely clicked for us all night.

However, the main issue was defensively. We looked wide open all game. Full backs rinsed time and time again and looked really soft and exposed to any runs through the middle. Dabrowski at fault for the 4th obviously but think he should have done better for the 1st goal too. Dick, Millen, Murray, Byrne and Easton all probably had their poorest 90’s of the season.

All credit to Ayr though. For all the stick Bullen gets, I thought they really did a job on us. Exploited our shortcomings at full back and really doubled up and nullified Byrne and Easton in particular.

Bad nights will happen though, the players have been brilliant so far and can be excused an off day. Hopefully we learn the lessons and are back to our best for Arbroath. Good character to bounce back and at least take something from the game at the end and the result at Hampden somewhat softens the blow whilst also feeling a bit of a missed opportunity. 

That was grim. We got away with one, massively. Notwistanding Dabrowski's error, the major issue is that the 4-1-3-2 doesnt work without Stanton and the whole of the 2nd half, Ayr were able to nullify our extra man with about 2 passes. 

We didnt use the extra man at all. Went through the middle to a player that wasnt there, didnt use the width at all and let Ayr run at us constantly.

If we had gone 4-2-3-1 from the 2nd half, we might have built on that. As it was we were lucky to get out of that by the skin of our teeth.

4 fucking 4! WTF it was 2-1 Rovers at HT and they were down to 10 men.

Ah well, another game without a loss and another goalfest. Onto the Arbroath game.

Positives: I didn’t have to watch that, as it would be heart attack city. Another late goal, so we go to the end. United dropped points too and they didn’t score any goals.

Negatives: Two points dropped. Couldn’t beat 10 men from a winning position.

Edited by Scary Bear

There was always going to be a bit of a blip but it came unexpectedly tonight. Got to hope that this is a wake up call before the next game. To concede four at home is not good by any standard but it's criminal when it's against ten men. Collectively not a good evening at the office but we still managed to scrape the draw. Get the lessons learnt PDQ and get back to winning ways ASAP. No damage done with the nearest rivals also failing to win. Feels like a loss in some respects but in fact could well be yet a crucial point by the season's end.

What a game. We went down to 10 men, 2-1 down at half time, Bullen had his weekly aneurysm, Raith got their 2 goals in the last 10 mins and game finished 4-4. I love you Santa but you’re also a bit of a c**t. Merry Christmas rovers fans, hope you win the league despite losing your next 2 games against a newly appointed managed Ayr United.

At the end of the day, a point is a great result when you consider how poor we were.  A lot being made about it being against 10 men, but that highlights how well Ayr played to be honest.

That said, the way we almost consistently start 2nd half's is incredibly infuriating.  Incredibly wasteful in possession, and poor decision making.

The spirit in the team is fantastic, but that is beginning to paper over a few cracks.  To have amassed 40 points in less than half a season, yet not really put in a convincing 90 minute performance is strange, and not sustainable.  4 points from the Arbroath game and tonight is a mental return, when you see how off it we were.  It's a huge wake up call.

No damage done in terms of the lead, but I can't help but feel any title push hinges on how bad Stantons injury is.

41 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given the games at Starks & EEP so far, they'd be forced to rebrand as 'BBC Fife' if they did TBF.

😂 BBC picked a quality game. 0-0. That is the bonus ball for this evening. No harm done with this result!

Sorry, just in and catching up. Sadly, I have to do some family stuff occasionally and it impinges on my Rovers watching.

16 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Really poor from us tonight. Can blame the disruption of the Stanton injury but I didn’t think we were anywhere near our best even before then. Amazing that we scored 4 goals and I don’t think we were anywhere near our best going forward and it rarely clicked for us all night.

However, the main issue was defensively. We looked wide open all game. Full backs rinsed time and time again and looked really soft and exposed to any runs through the middle. Dabrowski at fault for the 4th obviously but think he should have done better for the 1st goal too. Dick, Millen, Murray, Byrne and Easton all probably had their poorest 90’s of the season.

All credit to Ayr though. For all the stick Bullen gets, I thought they really did a job on us. Exploited our shortcomings at full back and really doubled up and nullified Byrne and Easton in particular.

Bad nights will happen though, the players have been brilliant so far and can be excused an off day. Hopefully we learn the lessons and are back to our best for Arbroath. Good character to bounce back and at least take something from the game at the end and the result at Hampden somewhat softens the blow whilst also feeling a bit of a missed opportunity.

13 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Bottom line is you guys are top of the league for Xmas  , bad day at office but still never got beat , park it and move on , well done Raith 👏🏼👏🏼👌🏼👌🏼

Some sense amongst the drivel

Maybe Murray needs to play defenders, Dick and Brown sold the shirts tonight and let the team down. O’Reilly and Corr could’ve slotted into their actual positions and when Stanton went off Brown should’ve moved to midfield. Dabrowski isn’t getting off the hook either. Their 4th goal was Ally Brown levels of comedy. 

Big kev has always had a mistake in him, it’s been pretty clear since he came in. But he has saved us many many times this season so I’m sure we can let tonight slide. 

Also big applause to the Ayr fans, Friday night away from home and only a couple days till Christmas, not exactly a must go to game. I’d be slightly gutted, to be 3-4 up with ten men and a draw is a bit of kick in the balls. 

The actual game itself, despite the goals we weren’t very good at all. Lots of players not their best but we can’t play well every game and thanks to QP we aren’t any worse off in the table. We will take the point and move on

Just now, AuAl said:

Hope for your sake that Stanton's injury isn't bad, but he did seem to struggling. I think it was the way he came down on his leg, looked to be in an awful lot of pain.

I think he was caught and it caused him to land badly, certainly don't think it was a foul. Hoping he's ok, we lost our way after he went off.

What an absolute rollercoaster once again! We really got off the hook there, we were really poor and all over the shop defensively.

Massive credit to Ayr who stuck to their game plan but all the goals were our own doing. Countless amount of times we allowed the visitors to canter up the park with no one closing them down and paid the ultimate price with McGeady’s and Chalmers goals. Dowds caused havoc as well and bullied our back line all night. 

Can’t play well every and hope everyone reminds that, and we don’t get on the players backs after one bad game. 

Played poorly, grabbed a point and United never gained any ground. We showed our usual resilience to keep fighting in the end which is the main thing! 

Top for Xmas and 5 clear, can’t complain! 

Wild.

Wrong formation today and Stanton going off made it worse. Frustrating watching them run at us and we just stand off it. 

We’re going to lose games and that’s expected just not at home, 2-1 up and playing 10 men. 

Point gained in the end but what a chance to go another 2 points ahead with United playing PT next. 

That’ll be highlights I’ll skip as can’t watch that KD howler again, fluffed shot from 35 yards 🤢. He’s been immense but hopefully doesn’t damage his confidence. 

4 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Maybe Murray needs to play defenders, Dick and Brown sold the shirts tonight and let the team down. O’Reilly and Corr could’ve slotted into their actual positions and when Stanton went off Brown should’ve moved to midfield

Bang on. Was obvious once Stanton went off they had far too much space in the middle. We most likely win that comfortably if Murray made that change at half time.

IM has shown some tactical nous several times but nobody bar Vaughan played well today…Connolly looked lively when he came on and starts for me against Abroath in place of Mullen.

Another Friday night goal fest involving Raith.

Ayr caused us issues all night.Murray struggled against Dowds. Dick struggled against Chalmers.Our defence n midfield struggled in general. Looked a couple of shocking tackles from McGinty.

Where do I start with Raith.

Kev ain’t been beating many times from outside the box this season.He didn’t look as sharp tonight and that 4th was a shocker.

Thought Byrne might’ve got rested tonight and that might’ve been a good idea.

Easton was nullified tonight against Ahui who was quick n strong.

Stanton also lost possession a couple of times before he scored.Hopefully injury not as bad as it seemed.

Probably a good point in the end for Raith and fair play to Ayr-some of the play with 10 men in the 2nd half was very impressive.