Derek Adams interview

52 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Do Ross County make a habit of hiring absolute roasters as manager?

41 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Assuming that's the criteria, who will be next when Adams gets his big move to a proper league like the Southern League Division One (South)?

Already had John Hughes there so we need a new roaster next. What's Stephen Pressley doing these days?

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

This is a problem that Scotland's had for a while. I believe we're in the top ten countries in Europe right now, according to UEFA's rankings, but we're still shite and constantly getting battered by the worst leagues on the continent, according to an awful lot of Scots. Until recently, we thought our national side was much better than the dross around us in the world rankings, and everyone was very angry at the players and managers for mysteriously not performing to the expected level.

We have absolutely no concept of our abilities and standing in global football, and it changes depending on what suits us at the time. It's depressing considering that it's similar to what we took the piss out of English football fans for, back when their national sport was massively overestimating themselves compared to other nations.

Yet last week we had teams beating other teams from the 2nd, 4th and 6th ranked nations. There is no doubt we have punched above our weight for the last few seasons and a lot depends on luck of draws, getting through qualifiers. The Dons got quite a few points by coming in early doors and beating teams from Latvia, Luxembourg, Macedonia etc but the higher ranking now meant we came up against a half decent Swedish team. Having 5 teams also means the divisor is greater. I think our natural position is somewhere around 13-16 in the coefficient table. 

7 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Yet last week we had teams beating other teams from the 2nd, 4th and 6th ranked nations. There is no doubt we have punched above our weight for the last few seasons and a lot depends on luck of draws, getting through qualifiers. The Dons got quite a few points by coming in early doors and beating teams from Latvia, Luxembourg, Macedonia etc but the higher ranking now meant we came up against a half decent Swedish team. Having 5 teams also means the divisor is greater. I think our natural position is somewhere around 13-16 in the coefficient table. 

Which is an incredible result really, not only are we better than every nation our size we are also better than 13 larger nations, some of whom are significantly larger (e.g. Poland who are >7x our size or Romania who are almost 4x our size).

We are 10th at the moment, of our peer group only Denmark come close at 14. We have had three major European finalists this millennium, I don't think Denmark have ever had any.

So Derek Adams bitching about Scottish football is like a billionaire saying he's broke because Elon Musk is richer.

A sign of a completely delusional idiot, proper flat earth mentality.

I was happy he stood by his comments. Thought his follow up interview was fair enough. I understand he's insulted our product, but it's not from a place of malice. Don't get why people are having such a heads gone over this, it's only his opinion and he has every right to it. 

I have given my opinion. We’re all entitled to our opinion. Sometimes when you give your opinion, and it goes against the grain, or against what everybody else thinks, then it becomes an issue.

The interview told me that he was most likely being honest. Calling it as he sees it, but it wasn't an emotional reaction to losing a last minute goal - it was based on the 5 games he'd been in charge of. It's likely not an intentional ploy to get more out of his players as he retracted some of the comments around that, but I agree with him it could end up positive even if not by design.

That’s the hard thing – when a new manager comes in, he talks in a different way. He maybe tries to motivate people in a different way, and it’s the same in any organisation – some people like it, some people won’t. That’s the nature of any business you go into, but all I’m trying to do is get the best out of these players. 

Some people might say that I’ve demotivated them by talking about a previous employer, but maybe I’ve motivated them. I wouldn’t like that to be said about me, so if your manager is saying that go and show how good you are to get up this league.

Shame if it wasn't by design as it would have been excellent management, but he can turn it from a negative into a positive as he's trying to do there.

Edited by 2426255

It's just an opinion - why have a heads gone over it?

Well yeah it's an opinion, but that's not a protection. Pretty much every stupid thing that's ever been said is an opinion.

If I worked in a shop, and held a press conference saying everything in the shop was complete shit, i would rightly be fired. That's Gerald Ratner levels of stupidity.

I'm not upset about it in any way, like pretty much everyone who knows Scottish football I was fully aware what a loathsome individual Adams was before this incident, and he hasn't really gone down in my estimation - I already held him in the lowest regard possible.

Would be delighted if he lost his job and disappeared from Scottish football and back into obscurity. He's a c**t.

There will be many more worthy candidates, and better people, who can take his place.

18 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Remember that being said 5/10/15 years ago, the money in the English game isn't suddenly going to disappear, especially with all the advertisement involved. It will keep going and getting bigger for the foreseeable. 

Only the EPL.

If you can't see the stacks already starting to collapse in the EFL then youre not paying attention.

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Scottish football is fucking great and I love it.

By what standard is it remotely 'great'.  Is two secterian clubs treating the top flight like their tedious plaything 'great' ? Is cup semi-finals always being played in Glasgow at stupid O'Clock regardless of where the clubs are from, 'great' ? Is the almost corrupt desperation to grant the two secterian clubs three points through dubious penalty awards and absurd amounts of time added on, 'great' ? 

Scottish football can be great, should be great. To say it's great at the moment is delusional at best and could be said to be enthusiastically supportive of how things currently are. 

12 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

By what standard is it remotely 'great'.  Is two secterian clubs treating the top flight like their tedious plaything 'great' ? Is cup semi-finals always being played in Glasgow at stupid O'Clock regardless of where the clubs are from, 'great' ? Is the almost corrupt desperation to grant the two secterian clubs three points through dubious penalty awards and absurd amounts of time added on, 'great' ? 

Scottish football can be great, should be great. To say it's great at the moment is delusional at best and could be said to be enthusiastically supportive of how things currently are. 

It's great according to the UEFA coefficients.

Miles ahead of its peers as well as many far larger countries.

What other metric would you use?

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You just knew he’d say something to the effect of ‘I’m too honest for my own good sometimes’. The mark of a total arsehole. 

I don't think there's anything he could have said to make some folk happy. A lot of people had marked his card before this even happened, that's obvious.