Joey Barton

Basically, Joey Barton now sits at home on Twitter, poasting about anything that happens in a bid to hoof up engagement.  No job in football, no job in punditry, he has to keep doing this to keep some sort of podcast gig a possibility.

17 hours ago, velo army said:

This is it exactly. Women's football right now is probably where men's football was just after WW2, with some teams and nations absolutely miles ahead of others.

Goalkeepers in women's football really aren't good at all by comparison to men, but that's for the reasons stated above, most probably.

I don't follow women's football at all and probably won't ever, but I find it pretty odious to highlight the mistakes of a 17 year old lass. There's no chance a 17 year old boy would be taking similar heat.

The man's a craven arsehole, but we all knew that.

I watch the odd game (of women's football), would probably watch more but often don't realise there's a televised match on. Watched the Women's World Cup and Euros.

The standard is nothing to get excited about, and generally speaking the goal keepers are poor.

But I usually quite enjoy it, certainly wouldn't try to compare it with men's football - some of which can be pretty grim, too.

ETA: I watch practically any televised match I can get my eyes on, I don't have Sky, so basically limited to BBC and ITV, have watched Irish League to Scottish League One to FA Cup to Internationals to Saudi Arabian League  on Alba, BBC NI, BBC Wales & co. Would also listen to Sportsound broadcasts, particularly midweek and European games. I suppose I'm just interested in watching football.

Edited by Jacksgranda

Well women are on average considerably shorter than men, especially male athletes, and even more especially male athletes that are footballers who play goalkeeper. It's hardly a surprise they might struggle when playing in a goal of the same size.

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Well women are on average considerably shorter than men, especially male athletes, and even more especially male athletes that are footballers who play goalkeeper. It's hardly a surprise they might struggle when playing in a goal of the same size.

Correct, Only 1% of women are over 6ft tall compared to 14.5 for men.  Considering most full time professional male goalkeepers are 6'3 or more you are obviously going to see a big difference

42 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Tbh it's probably more the ratio keeper to goal size that the people who came up with the standard size of goal were looking for.

Maybe the mens goal should be bigger.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I see that Joey Barton’s totally legitimate criticism of the standard of women’s football has now continued by calling it “lesbo-ball” 

It's not all that knob, but good David Squires today and the Barton panel did make me giggle - https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2024/mar/26/david-squires-on-england-flag-furore-kit-collar-woke-things-destroying-football

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Basically, Joey Barton now sits at home on Twitter, poasting about anything that happens in a bid to hoof up engagement.  No job in football, no job in punditry, he has to keep doing this to keep some sort of podcast gig a possibility.

Luckily one of Scotlands top nautical experts was on hand to correct Joey.

GJlpxi6XAAALAU0?format=jpg&name=900x900

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Maybe the mens goal should be bigger.

I'm tall as f**k but even I still can't believe how big professional goals actually are when you're standing in them.

5 hours ago, RawB93 said:

I'm tall as f**k but even I still can't believe how big professional goals actually are when you're standing in them.

Must have T-Rex arms. I'm 6'2" and I can reach a cross bar. I don't consider myself tall.

15 hours ago, RawB93 said:

Not much bigger than amateur ones tbf.

9 hours ago, Venti said:

Must have T-Rex arms. I'm 6'2" and I can reach a cross bar. I don't consider myself tall.

You are.

19 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It's not all that knob, but good David Squires today and the Barton panel did make me giggle - https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2024/mar/26/david-squires-on-england-flag-furore-kit-collar-woke-things-destroying-football

12 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

fucking gone at vindalube

The actual Prime Minister sticking his size fours in.

It's easy to take things out of context, and infer that Barton has an enormous ego but is a terrible judge of footballing ability.

Why, just a few years ago I recall him implying that he would do well on moving to Rangers, and that his career in Scotland wouldn't consist of repeated failure and humiliation, as well as complete submission to Scott Brown.