Joey Barton

Pretty predictable outcome from when the thread was started. Nobody was particularly busy at start of the new year and he got a fair bit of attention but has since faded back into insignificance where he belongs. No surprise to see Vine taking legal action, hopefully a few others do the same as you can’t just call people nonces without fear of repercussion. Tragic how he’s asking the public for money. He’s said on his pinned Twitter about bringing Vine down a “peg or two” which will bring a few of us back to the fanny posters pm.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

If you are going to pick on a 17 year old amateur keeper, then you should maybe first check to make sure that her old man isn't a kickboxing world champion.

image.png.d06978c7805c805b1f4a4bbfe606a397.png

image.png

Whit's that goalie daein Joey!

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Her being 17 shouldn’t make her immune from criticism, though. It was terrible.

Barton wasn't offering any constrictive or legitimate criticism. He was punching down and inciting misogynistic hatred for attention because he's a worthless scumbag.

9 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Barton wasn't offering any constrictive or legitimate criticism. He was punching down and inciting misogynistic hatred for attention because he's a worthless scumbag.

Maybe so, but underneath all that is the uncomfortable truth that the standard of women’s football in Scotland is dreadful.

It’s not misogynistic if it’s true.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Maybe so, but underneath all that is the uncomfortable truth that the standard of women’s football in Scotland is dreadful.

If it's said entirely in the furtherance of an explicitly and proudly misogynistic one-man movement rather than organically though...

45 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's improving year on year. I'm not a Hertz fan, but I watched their team at Bayview a few weeks back and the standard was very good.

30 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

If it's said entirely in the furtherance of an explicitly and proudly misogynistic one-man movement rather than organically though...

Joey Barton is not the only person highlighting it, though.

I get people really want Scottish Domestic Women’s football to be good, but it just isn’t.

The reaction to any criticism of this display of goalkeeping is incredible tbh. This didn’t happen in an amateur Sunday League kick about - it was a national final broadcast on Satellite TV. It just shouldn’t be happening at that level

53 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The standard of the football has absolutely f**k all to do with the gender of the players. 

Ava Easdon made a couple of excellent saves later in the game. Yes, it’s a big mistake for that goal but the attempt to try to pretend that it somehow shows that women’s football, as a whole, is a waste of time are plainly misogyny.

As for the game, I was there and - despite the result - there was some very entertaining moments, some excellent goals and some obviously talented players. It was very good fun, and if losers like Barton and the above poster want to pretend otherwise then that’s up to them.

Also, for the point that “it shouldn’t be happening at that level” I would refer you to one Steve Simonson in the Scottish Cup semi final, and assure you that it wasn’t even close to the most egregious error I’ve seen from a Thistle keeper this season. 

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I get people really want Scottish Domestic Women’s football to be good, but it just isn’t.

The reaction to any criticism of this display of goalkeeping is incredible tbh. This didn’t happen in an amateur Sunday League kick about - it was a national final broadcast on Satellite TV. It just shouldn’t be happening at that level

Whats the objective standard of football that is permissible to be broadcast on TV?

If we want womens football in Scotland to be better I'm not sure excluding it from media coverage unitl they meet tue good enough for broadcast standard is a great growth strategy.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Joey Barton said it was "cosplay football" - not real football.  He has said previously that women shouldn't do punditry on TV because women's football isn't real football.  He clearly insinuated that women who worked in sports broadcasting got there because they'd had sex with decision makers.  He's not saying "this is poor goalkeeping", which it obviously was.

If Joe Hart or Zander Clark had a howler like that, most folk on here would be laughing their socks off and giving them pelters.  Keepers do tend to get more stick than outfield players when things go wrong. 

Edited by bennett

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

If Joe Hart or Zander Clark had a howler like that, most folk on here would be laughing their socks off and giving them pelters.  Keepers do tend to get more stick than outfield players when things go wrong. 

I think that having a laugh at the mistake is fine, but using the mistake as a means to have a go at all women’s football is the issue.

I’m not accusing you of this, by the way. 

Joey Barton is sore because he expected to get a pundits gig after his management career went in the shitter.  When he began his grifter/podcaster/discourser career, he continually talked about punditry, saying you could only get on if you were a woman or black, he posted a video of his sons saying that he was fighting for them to get a gig as a pundit in the future - very odd to look at two young boys and say "if they work hard, they could get a gig as a summarisesr on Sky Sports in 30 years time!".  He was clearly talking about himself.

He got most traction on the females in football thing, there isn't really space even among the grifter/podcaster/discourser world for saying that there's too many black pundits so he's leaned heavily into this now.

Ironically, his brother who just did twenty years in prison for murder probably has better career prospects than Joey.

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think that having a laugh at the mistake is fine, but using the mistake as a means to have a go at all women’s football is the issue.

I’m not accusing you of this, by the way. 

Why is it an issue? Domestic Scottish Women’s football is rubbish.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why is it an issue? Domestic Scottish Women’s football is rubbish.

There’s no way that you’re not being deliberately disingenuous here, so I’m not really that interested in debating this further with you.

Suffice it to say that I’m not taking seriously the argument about standard of player from someone who pays to watch Jake Hastie et al on a regular basis.