7 hours ago, Zanetti said:

With us having been unlucky (and by that I mean chucked away points in the most ridiculous fashion) against Raith so far this season, finally winning a game on Friday night, and the new manager looking set to be announced giving us that all important bounce, there's every reason to think we're capable of getting something from this so I'm predicting that we lose 4-1.

Absolutely ridiculous we don’t do more than 1 goal, if it 4-1 it’ll end 4-3. 

I don't think dropping Easton for Connolly is all that wild a shout, in fairness. Easton's definitely been off the boil the last few games - whether that's because he could do with a rest or literally needs reminding he isn't untouchable, only Murray will really know.

Definitely think Murray will ring the changes for this one; much of which is probably forced upon him. I won't even bother making attempts at guessing how Murray might line the team up on Saturday. I just hope it's enough for a win (& by more than a goal, at that).

1 hour ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Easton's definitely been off the boil the last few games - whether that's because he could do with a rest or literally needs reminding he isn't untouchable

Or his heads been turned. 

Home win. Let's be honest here. Queens Park were rotten last Friday night despite the Beeb love-in. Trouble was we were just a bit more so. This'll be 4 or 5 scud.

Pivotal game.

As others have mentioned they looked really poor on Friday and believe from reading on here their goal threat in Paton is out for this.

DU likely to go top on Friday by beating ICT, especially after taking Wotherspoon from them.

A win and a convincing performance needed.

9 hours ago, Raithie said:

Far too much of an easy trope. These guys are professionals. Dylan will know he holds the cards for the transfer window(s) but also that if his levels drop it’ll harm him. We’re going through a wee sticky patch and his form has dropped slightly. He’s also been carrying a wee knock. A totally normal thing to happen during a season. 

There's an argument for dropping several players, given that we have seen performances dip. Players quite simply can't be at their best all the time, and it's to be expected during the season unfortunately. But the replacements also have to be considered; Smith or Gullan appear to be the natural replacements for Vaughan and I wouldn't say either has been great recently either. 

Focus on the problem area first, though: defence. No Millen and O'Reilly has gone. Is Euan Murray fit? Is Keith Watson back? I would not expect the latter to be fit enough to start given that he hasn't made the bench, so I expect we will almost certainly see Brown back in defence. Corr is also an option here. At RB, will it be McGill or Mullin? Neither is a full back, but needs must here. 

Into midfield, I'd go for Byrne and Matthews. Then, likely, Easton, Connolly, Vaughan ahead of them. Hamilton up front. Again, this assumes that Mullin will be sent to deputise at RB. If he isn't, I would consider him ahead of Connolly or Easton (yes, Easton. He is not immune from the bench). 

13 hours ago, Raithie said:

I think this would only be the case if he has actually signed a PCA elsewhere. If not then I'd expect he will be trying like an absolute bear over the next few months to get as big a deal as possible.

Whilst he has been impressive this season, should he become the talisman that takes us to the Championship title over the next couple of months then his stock will only rise and rise.

So now I'd go if Murray isn't fit

Dabrowski 

Masson Corr Dick

Byrne

Connolly Turner Brown Smith

Mullin Hamilton 

Shake it up a little 👍 

If tiffoney did come in 👏 then I'd put him in place of Smith. If Stevenson was to come in then;

Corr Dick Stevenson if Murray isn't fit. 

Alternatively taking all possible injuries into account;

McNeil

Masson  Corr   Dick

Byrne  Brown 

Connolly   Turner   Smith

Easton 

Hamilton 

Edited by A_Rover_In_The_Burgh

9 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

It'll be nothing like the above post, that's for sure

Not a chance in hell Murray goes for a back 3 of Dick, Masson and Corr.  If we did go for a 3 then swap Brown for Masson and you're probably there. 

Also, wouldn't be playing 2 defensive midfielders in front of a back 3 (or at all in a home game against the bottom team).  As it is, I don't see Brown as a DM anyway.  Much more of a box to box midfielder for me.  Always more likely to drive forward with the ball rather than look for a pass and stay in position (like Byrne tends to).  Stays in position a bit more as a CB and that's where I expect him to play until both Murray and Watson are fit.

As much as many fans are calling for the end of the 4-1-3-2 formation, most agree that it doesn't work because we don't have Stanton.  I expect Murray to try sticking with it and using Turner in the Stanton role.

Assuming the expected players are in fact missing, I expect something like:

Kev

McGill Brown Corr Dick

Byrne

Mullin Turner Easton

Vaughan Hamilton

Not necessarily what I'd go for but what I expect Murray to go for (and I'm perfectly willing to admit that he knows a wee bit more than me).

11 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

It'll be nothing like the above post, that's for sure

Sorry I didn't make it clear, that would be my choice. I'm well aware Murray will not do it. 

I'm just trying to provoke a chat in relation to the choices we do have. 

Something needs to change because the last 5 or so games we've been pretty shite and its not all on the players, formation and tactics need looked at as well as its just not working and in truth hasn't all season. There's only so many times you can throw the dice and win before your luck fades and that's exactly what has been happening in the last few games.

Against Airdrie, we looked absolutely clueless and was pretty much the case away to Arbroath as well. So to me that all tells a story, that in pretty much every game we've won, we've had to change formation, so why not start with the formation that is winning us games and that has been 3-5-2. Nobody can argue with that unless you like 85 minutes of fairly shite football followed by 10 minutes of carnage? I'd prefer to try and win games comfortably. I feel we have the players to play 3-5-2. Maybe against Airdrie we match their 4-3-3?

One big issue we have is the lack of height in our centre half's and that was shown again by Todorov scoring with a header at the weekend. 

I also feel that we don't have a prolific striker or one that can cause any issues if Hamilton is out via strength and hold up play to link up with our midfield. 

The problem we have now is we have such a strong team when fit, who do you play? as they could all have a shout to start. 

If fit on Saturday the team I feel that may start;

Dabrowski  

McGill    Brown    Corr      Dick

Byrne 

Connolly Turner/Matthews Easton 

Hamilton  Smith

2 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Not a chance in hell Murray goes for a back 3 of Dick, Masson and Corr.  If we did go for a 3 then swap Brown for Masson and you're probably there. 

Also, wouldn't be playing 2 defensive midfielders in front of a back 3 (or at all in a home game against the bottom team).  As it is, I don't see Brown as a DM anyway.  Much more of a box to box midfielder for me.  Always more likely to drive forward with the ball rather than look for a pass and stay in position (like Byrne tends to).  Stays in position a bit more as a CB and that's where I expect him to play until both Murray and Watson are fit.

As much as many fans are calling for the end of the 4-1-3-2 formation, most agree that it doesn't work because we don't have Stanton.  I expect Murray to try sticking with it and using Turner in the Stanton role.

Assuming the expected players are in fact missing, I expect something like:

Kev

McGill Brown Corr Dick

Byrne

Mullin Turner Easton

Vaughan Hamilton

Not necessarily what I'd go for but what I expect Murray to go for (and I'm perfectly willing to admit that he knows a wee bit more than me).

Two defensive midfielders against the bottom team that on both occasions we've had to throw the sink at in the last 10 minutes to get anything from the game. I thought folk who supported teams in this league would be well aware that position, 9/10 means feck all. 

Incase folk haven't realised it but our defence is rank and in my eyes needs as much protection as it can get, plus Brown wouldn't just sit there unless asked, that's not his remit but he does play CB so I'm sure he'd be a good fit in there. 

Are people not looking at the amount of goals we conceed? A cleansheet guarantees no defeat. 

When raith won the league back in 92 we played a back 5 in all our games 

McStay Coyle Sinclair Dennis McLeod

Being tough to beat, sets up skilled players to do their job and we have them in abundance. Just my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Sorry I didn't make it clear, that would be my choice. I'm well aware Murray will not do it. 

I'm just trying to provoke a chat in relation to the choices we do have. 

Something needs to change because the last 5 or so games we've been pretty shite and its not all on the players, formation and tactics need looked at as well as its just not working and in truth hasn't all season. There's only so many times you can throw the dice and win before your luck fades and that's exactly what has been happening in the last few games.

Against Airdrie, we looked absolutely clueless and was pretty much the case away to Arbroath as well. So to me that all tells a story, that in pretty much every game we've won, we've had to change formation, so why not start with the formation that is winning us games and that has been 3-5-2. Nobody can argue with that unless you like 85 minutes of fairly shite football followed by 10 minutes of carnage? I'd prefer to try and win games comfortably. I feel we have the players to play 3-5-2. Maybe against Airdrie we match their 4-3-3?

One big issue we have is the lack of height in our centre half's and that was shown again by Todorov scoring with a header at the weekend. 

I also feel that we don't have a prolific striker or one that can cause any issues if Hamilton is out via strength and hold up play to link up with our midfield. 

The problem we have now is we have such a strong team when fit, who do you play? as they could all have a shout to start. 

If fit on Saturday the team I feel that may start;

Dabrowski  

McGill    Brown    Corr      Dick

Byrne 

Connolly Turner/Matthews Easton 

Hamilton  Smith

It wasn't a slight on you, but Murray isn't going to weaken an already weak defence by playing two young lads Masson and Corr together when they both haven't had game time in gawd knows how long, big question mark over Dabrowski being recovered, but an able replacement in McNeil.    

We're more likely to see

McNeil 

Masson,  Brown, Dick, McGill, as the backline if Murray isn't fit, but sure its anyones guess as to what the manager comes up with.