'We deserve better" and other such soliloquies

On 07/01/2024 at 12:23, Duke Gekantawa said:

There are a couple which break the laws of physics:

He hung in the air

The ball gained pace off the pitch

The third in that category is "He/we/they gave 110%". No he/you/they  didn't. It's impossible

Not read through the entire thread so apologies if it's been done, but can managers please stop taking about "this football club" and using it in every sentence. "This club" is fine. We know you're talking about football. It's crept in over the last few years and does my head in.

10 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

"We go again" rips my knitting.  I've no idea why, but it's a really annoying expression.

Firstly, because it's quasi-meaningless. You're not Rangers circa 2012, we know you'll play another game.

Secondly, the use of present tense is very questionable.

10 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Not read through the entire thread so apologies if it's been done, but can managers please stop taking about "this football club" and using it in every sentence. "This club" is fine. We know you're talking about football. It's crept in over the last few years and does my head in.

Agreed. If they use it, it’s never just once, it becomes all you’re listening for to see how often they’ll shoehorn it in……..

11 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Likewise "that's how you win football matches" and similar.  If I'm listening to Sportsound at half two on a Saturday afternoon I don't clarification that they're not talking about cricket.

The use of the word "character" seems to be used increasingly these days by coaches and pundits, almost as some sort of unquantifiable trait that some players and teams either do or do not possess.

"My team showed great character today" and such phrases seem meaningless to me, unless this indeed something that can be coached and is expected of players today??

To quote The Wolf - " Just because you are a character, doesn't mean you have character".

Okay, this one isn’t about WHAT they say, more HOW they say it……

in post-match interviews it’s amazing how, when answering a question, most players and managers can hardly look the interviewer in the eye. Fair enough, a lot of the questions are pretty dumb - “tell us about the goal/save/sending off”, “what did the gaffer say to you at half-time”, “what were you thinking when you hit it?” etc, but when they’re answering they’re looking up, down, left, right - anywhere but at who they’re talking to.

To be fair, it’s worse down south than in Scotland, and one of the worst is Ange Postecoglu. I like the guy, I really do, he talks a lot of sense and he’s a good manager, but he just can’t look an interviewer in the eye when he’s answering them. After the Man City game tonight was a perfect example, he mumbled some pretty standard replies while all the time staring at the interviewer’s shoes, and he’s always like that, win, lose or draw. Just looks shifty and like he doesn’t want to be there..

These guys are in the entertainment business (allegedly), and like it or not they should at least try to look interested. The only ones who seem genuine are the ones who don’t often get interviewed, sometimes they’re a breath of fresh air. Seems the more money you make and more successful you are the less you care about giving ninety seconds of your time after a game to keep the punters happy.

Edited by Rudolph Hucker

Any strike where it’s said there was no back lift in the shot, when there’s clearly back lift. I’m going to say it’s physically impossible to ping into top corner from out side box with ‘no back lift’!

Edited by Utdtillidie2