'We deserve better" and other such soliloquies

Usually associated with pre or post match interview somebody comes out with..."At this moment in time"

Why use five words when one or possibly two will do?......."Now" or "Right now".

Trying too hard to sound as if they have a command of the English language.👎🏻

Edited by embow

22 hours ago, Peil said:

Weirdly during that period I listened to the generation above me bemoan that we weren't the same team as we were in the late 60's early 70's

So you're onto something here

you weren't the same team as you were in the late 60's early 70's

17 hours ago, parsforlife said:

He'll get them working hard, that's all fans want.

We no, we kinda like our teams to be winning too.

Easy win for a couple of weeks, most managers that do it move on.  We are two years in and our guy hasn't stopped going on about running harder.  

25 minutes ago, Malcolm Tent said:

you weren't the same team as you were in the late 60's early 70's

I know 🤷‍♂️

I was clearly referencing the idea that people latch onto a high point and think that should be the measure going forward regardless.

1 hour ago, Red Kite said:

"He's lost the dressing room" should immediatelty see any phone-in caller disconnected.

I wonder if any manager has every literally lost the dressing room?

57 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I wonder if any manager has every literally lost the dressing room?

I'm told by a Nottingham Forest fan mate that Brian Clough used to do it quite a lot in his twilight years. RIP Cloughie

Not really along the same lines but the recent emergence of these new tactical phrases used to describe the most basic terms in football really grinds my gears, such as 'in transition' to describe a counter attack/winning the ball back, or 'gegenpress' to describe a hard press.

Just using shiny new terms to impress those whose knowledge of football doesn't extend beyond an Xbox game. Special mention for 'xG' in the same category.

21 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Not really along the same lines but the recent emergence of these new tactical phrases used to describe the most basic terms in football really grinds my gears, such as 'in transition' to describe a counter attack/winning the ball back, or 'gegenpress' to describe a hard press.

Just using shiny new terms to impress those whose knowledge of football doesn't extend beyond an Xbox game. Special mention for 'xG' in the same category.

To the same extent, pundits and fans describing player positions by numbers, specifically midfielders. "He can play as a 6 or an 8", "He's a great number 10" etc. I'd be fine with it if they used the same for every position. "He's a quality number 3" or "Thats the best 7 you'll see in this league"

On 07/01/2024 at 11:02, CountryBumpkin said:

"Something something left foot", never hear the same said about right footed players. 

And worst of all, the absolute misuse of "just about". As in, the keeper "just about kept that out" after making a save.

The defender did just about enough. Get in the sea with that pish, no he didn't he did enough, just about equals failure.................grips my sh1t