Words Americans can't say properly

16 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

In the news last week it was suggested there’s barely any regions left in England that pronounce the “r” at the end of a sentence. Hence Stellar and Stella being pronounced the same. 

Didn't realise that Shandz is a Tennessee Williams afficionado.

Weirdest one I came across was a wifey in South Carolina who made a big deal about how we pronounce her name.

Her: It's "Deeudruh"
Me: genuinely baffled
Her: "Deeudruh"
Me: Can you spell that
Her: D-E-I-D-R-E

Mind you same night out I got talking to a lad from West Virgina, as we got more pissed we realised we were pronouncing words the same, and so I learned about the Scots settling in Appalachia.

20 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

In the news last week it was suggested there’s barely any regions left in England that pronounce the “r” at the end of a sentence. Hence Stellar and Stella being pronounced the same. 

Dont get me fucking started on this.

Pizzar, Pastar, idears.

Its all up here now.

p***ks

30 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Heard an advert repeatedly on some Florida radio station for Hoondy. Took me ages to realise it was for Hyundai.

Also Geetarr ffs

That one could be regional even in the US; in the Midwest it's '***-day'. Wonder if the swear filter will pick me up on that?

ETA - yup. 

Edited by carpetmonster

Mack-ay (Mackay), most obviously featured in South Park.

I have to grit my teeth every time I go to Halifax in Nova Scotia (aye, Canada, I know) where they say 'Mah-kay' rather than 'Mack-eye' for their MacKay Bridge.

On 20/01/2024 at 19:05, carpetmonster said:

‘Mirror’ as ‘meer’ is the one that always jars me when my kid says it. 

For years my favourite line from Bob Dylan's 'Visions of Johanna' was, "She's delicate and seems like Vermeer", which I still think is a much better image than "seems like the mirror".

15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Mack-ay (Mackay), most obviously featured in South Park.

I have to grit my teeth every time I go to Halifax in Nova Scotia (aye, Canada, I know) where they say 'Mah-kay' rather than 'Mack-eye' for their MacKay Bridge.

Pedentary I know but Canadians(and indeed Mexicans) are as American as people in the United States in the same way that Italians are as European as Germans. America is two continents not one country. But certainly Nova Scotians should know how to pronounce Mackay. 

Edited by kennie makevin