Words Americans can't say properly

16 hours ago, Ken Ickie said:

At risk of taking this off topic, I'm temporarily living in a South African couple (and son)'s house in Cobh, County Cork.

Husband and wife pronounce Tanzania opposite differently; husband like myself, TAN-ZAN-EH-A; wife, Tan-ZAIN-AH.

That they are from the same town, and lived in Tanzania just adds to the bafflement.

Route, Moscow, Glasgow, Edinburgh, tomato my top five culprits for the septics.

Two from living in Liverpool, working in Warrington: The Northern Rail lady robot pronouncing belongings with a very pronounced first g. And, everyone in the office pronouncing drawings as DRAW-RINGS. Both totally did my head in. And maybe a north England thing.

I deliberately mispronounce Coventry with a u vowel sound rather than an o. Still persist even though I know I'm wrong. But, then, I'm punk rock.....

Are they nice?

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Watching the Netflix series on captains at the last World Cup. Superb piece when an Iranian journalist is interviewing an American player, could have been the captain, before the USA v Iran match and the player calls the country Eye-ran. The journalist asks the player why Americans continually disrespect his country by mispronouncing its name. Bit of squirming by the player followed.

It was the captain, Tyler Adams.  He did make a  fair attempt to recover later in the interview but yep, a bit of a minter for him. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

What the f**k is a seppo?

We're not pronouncing Iran correctly either. The I should be like the e in penis, not the i in penis.

"Clique"

Seppo- Septic Tank -Yank  I think?

14 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The Gray? Words Americans Can’t Spell Properly for this pish IMVHO. 

Unsure how widespread this is, but I've heard a number of Americans (and Canadians TBF) refer to "Gandaf" over the years. Not sure what that's all about, but I'm pretty sure it's incorrect. Elf and goblin fanciers may be able to clarify.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Are they nice?

The Northern robot absolutely was not nice. Been some months since I listened to her drone, albeit on Teesside.

Any design office person has to get on with loads of functions, so, if you cannot get on, you'll quickly get found out.

So, like overall life really, good/bad, ying/yang, I'd say....

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

The lack of distinction between curb and kerb is infecting Scotland. Places offering “curbside” collection started during the pandemic.

That's all your own faults. It's a cribby.