Words Americans can't say properly

At risk of taking this off topic, I'm temporarily living in a South African couple (and son)'s house in Cobh, County Cork.

Husband and wife pronounce Tanzania opposite differently; husband like myself, TAN-ZAN-EH-A; wife, Tan-ZAIN-AH.

That they are from the same town, and lived in Tanzania just adds to the bafflement.

Route, Moscow, Glasgow, Edinburgh, tomato my top five culprits for the septics.

Two from living in Liverpool, working in Warrington: The Northern Rail lady robot pronouncing belongings with a very pronounced first g. And, everyone in the office pronouncing drawings as DRAW-RINGS. Both totally did my head in. And maybe a north England thing.

I deliberately mispronounce Coventry with a u vowel sound rather than an o. Still persist even though I know I'm wrong. But, then, I'm punk rock.....

8 minutes ago, velo army said:

I might take flak for this, but folk pronouncing places incorrectly when they're not from that place is ok.

Weirdly, if they’re talking about Glasgow, KY, they pronounce it correctly and not ‘Glasscow’ - it’s about 10 seconds into this 

2 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Weirdly, if they’re talking about Glasgow, KY, they pronounce it correctly and not ‘Glasscow’ - it’s about 10 seconds into this 

There is no Glasgow in Kennoway

At the risk of being unpopular, I like that people from different parts of the world pronounce things differently and occasionally use different terms for the same thing. It would be much more boring if everybody spoke the same, and it would make radio dramas very difficult to follow...

I also like the way they say "Jaguar" as "JAG-WAR", with the second syllable sounding a bit like a jaguar roar coming to get you.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Reminds me of a game at Glebe Park when they had an American reading out the half-time scores for some reason.

It was torturous and hilarious in equal measures. Towards the end of his efforts he drawled to the supporters

"Jeez folks, give a guy a break"

The guy does/did their media work, often see on the gantry videoing for highlights.

56 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

The guy does/did their media work, often see on the gantry videoing for highlights.

Aye, he's actually a decent guy. Had a couple of runners supplying him with pies on the gantry 😄

Edited by Cosmic Joe

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

No.

My name begins with A. They pronounce it like it starts with E. 

Arsehole, yer an ersehole.

Edit : just seen I've made the same joke as Zen. I'm logging off for the night.

Edited by Derry Alli

On 20/01/2024 at 19:02, RuMoore said:

Iran

ETA - It usually gets this song in my head, which is a belter but they still deserve criticism 

Watching the Netflix series on captains at the last World Cup. Superb piece when an Iranian journalist is interviewing an American player, could have been the captain, before the USA v Iran match and the player calls the country Eye-ran. The journalist asks the player why Americans continually disrespect his country by mispronouncing its name. Bit of squirming by the player followed.