Words Americans can't say properly

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

Pedentary I know but Canadians(and indeed Mexicans) are as American as people in the United States in the same way that Italians are as European as Germans. But certainly Nova Scotians should know how to pronounce Mackay.

Canadians and Americans are North American in the same way as Italians and Germans are European, surely? 

2 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Pedentary  Pedantic I know but Canadians(and indeed Mexicans) are as American as people in the United States in the same way that Italians are as European as Germans. But certainly Nova Scotians should know how to pronounce Mackay.

FTFY. Pedantic, I know......................

21 hours ago, Big Rider said:

Van Go (although everyone makes an arse of this)

Aye it's Fan Hoch. Another one we have gotten wrong for years is the great number 14 Johann Crowff (pronouncing the "ow" as in crowd).

Anyway, I'm sure there's a thread on the Dutch equivalent site for all such pish.

52 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye it's Fan Hoch. Another one we have gotten wrong for years is the great number 14 Johann Crowff (pronouncing the "ow" as in crowd).

Anyway, I'm sure there's a thread on the Dutch equivalent site for all such pish.

Words Americans Try to Have Us Adopt thread for this pish.

21 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Possibly apocryphal, but someone I knew at work reported being stopped by an American tourist and asked for directions to Loogyboroogy.

They wanted to go to Loughborough...

Then there's the one about the American tourist asking the bemused member of staff at the Oban CalMac office how to get to Ten N A.

Turns out, he was asking how to get to IONA.

If something is very warm it's hAt.

Maybe that's a Ch-kaaaa-go thing.

On the other hand I have one of my stepdaughters that now uses the words "numpty" and "arse" appropriately.

7 hours ago, Raidernation said:

If something is very warm it's hAt.

Maybe that's a Ch-kaaaa-go thing.

Considering there's a fair few aulder Scots who say "het" I think we'd be better just not commenting on that one.

16 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Considering there's a fair few aulder Scots who say "het" I think we'd be better just not commenting on that one.

Not worth getting het up about.