🔵⚪ Ton vs Lichties 🔴⚪ 27th January

Apart from an uncharacteristically sub-par performance against Montrose last week, we've been firing on all cylinders and have put together a great unbeaten run. Our back 4 (along with Ryan Mullen) have looked consistently solid, and the number of accompanying clean sheets has been impressive. We've also been getting stuck into quality off-field business such as Lewis Strapp's end-of-season contract extension, plus of course, the firming-up of Iain Wilson's position in the squad. Both have proven themselves to be absolutely key players for us. Dougie Imrie continues to steer the ship with tenacity, direction and focus. My only slight frustration is that we could be more clinical in our finishing.

Lichties are mired in the identical swamp we faced at the beginning of the season = an extensive injury list resulting in a wafer-thin squad needing the appearance of a sub keeper playing outfield (What a shot that was !!! 😵). Our bin-fire results run from that period where we ended up bottom of the table are testament to the negative impact such a situation will inevitably have on results. The transition hangover stemming from Dick Campbell's departure can't be helping Arbroath either, and I don't envy Stuart Malcolm's job at all right now. On a personal note - I'd be genuinely disappointed to see Lichties go down. Gayfield's long been my absolute favourite away day.

On paper, it's a home win for Morton. But our record against Arbroath is shite and they've been somewhat of a bogey team for us.

26 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Apart from an uncharacteristically sub-par performance against Montrose last week, we've been firing on all cylinders and have put together a great unbeaten run. Our back 4 (along with Ryan Mullen) have looked consistently solid, and the number of accompanying clean sheets has been impressive. We've also been getting stuck into quality off-field business such as Lewis Strapp's end-of-season contract extension, plus of course, the firming-up of Iain Wilson's position in the squad. Both have proven themselves to be absolutely key players for us. Dougie Imrie continues to steer the ship with tenacity, direction and focus. My only slight frustration is that we could be more clinical in our finishing.

Lichties are mired in the identical swamp we faced at the beginning of the season = an extensive injury list resulting in a wafer-thin squad needing the appearance of a sub keeper playing outfield (What a shot that was !!! 😵). Our bin-fire results run from that period where we ended up bottom of the table are testament to the negative impact such a situation will inevitably have on results. The transition hangover stemming from Dick Campbell's departure can't be helping Arbroath either, and I don't envy Stuart Malcolm's job at all right now. On a personal note - I'd be genuinely disappointed to see Lichties go down. Gayfield's long been my absolute favourite away day.

On paper, it's a home win for Morton. But our record against Arbroath is shite and they've been somewhat of a bogey team for us.

Stuart Malcolm left Arbroath shortly after Dick Campbell et al. Just Jim McIntyre and Jimmy Boyle in charge now.

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

Stuart Malcolm left Arbroath shortly after Dick Campbell et al. Just Jim McIntyre and Jimmy Boyle in charge now.

My mistake, thanks for correcting.

Edited by Chippyminton

The same match was played 364 days prior with Arbroath winning 2-1 despite an early goal from George Oakley to give us the lead. We would fail to beat Arbroath later in the season too. Obviously results can't be taken in isolation but you could argue that those matches cost us a playoff spot and helped keep Arbroath safe from relegation.

Arbroath had a good win against us at Cappielow in August. I'd like to see us make amends for that. We're on a good run but failing to make the most of some opportunities. Hopefully we see a more convincing performance with hat tricks apiece from Oakley and Muirhead, followed up by a theatric announcement of their contract extensions with Cappie the cat at full-time. If only.

Just over 4 years since our last home win over Arbroath, when an early Reece Lyon effort settled one of the most minging games of football I can remember.

Some irony of the words of the late Allan McGraw, on having the stand named after him last time this fixture was played - saying that you never knew what you were going to get at games at Cappielow, only for Arbroath to help themselves to a 3-0 win.

No idea what to expect this time either.

Only natural for us to be thinking about the promotion playoffs rather than relegation lately with our turnaround putting us a point off fourth, but depending on results elsewhere we could find ourselves only three points off 9th and five off the bottom with a defeat here, whereas a win would leave us needing a total collapse for Arbroath to catch us. We need to keep this run going.

Our recent record against Arbroath stinks, but I'm hoping that the win at Gayfield in December will have that monkey off our back. Arbroath have a dreadful injury list right now but we can't allow complacency to creep in here.

I'm predicting a 2-0 home win, which I will be enjoying from hospitality 🍺

As Dunning says, despite being 10 games unbeaten we're still realistically 2 or 3 games from being back to square one. A win here is far more important in terms of distancing ourselves further from the bottom than pushing closer to the playoffs, and there's no reason we shouldn't be winning. Can worry about the playoffs closer to the time.

Interesting to read that the Daily Record have us down as 1 of 9 championship clubs after Zak Rudden on loan until the summer, makes no sense whatsoever unless there are some surprise outgoings to come this window. 

12 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Interesting to read that the Daily Record have us down as 1 of 9 championship clubs after Zak Rudden on loan until the summer, makes no sense whatsoever unless there are some surprise outgoings to come this window. 

The clearest example of a 'journalist' throwing shite at a wall knowing 1 will stick. He has been told he can leave and the Championship is the most likely destination.

Whilst cover for Oakley is on most Ton fans' January wish list - snake Rudden can do one.

Edited by Jamie_M

Not trying to talk our chances down or invoke any mocker gods but Morton will likely never get a better chance for a comfortable win on Saturday.

Arbroath will likely struggle to get a team on the pitch and any kind of bench due to our current injury crisis. I think it’s 12, possibly 13 players out injured, most of them first choice and the starting lineup will likely have strikers and midfielders playing in defence and possibly a goalkeeper playing outfield at some point… again. Oh and our one “fit” defender has a broken toe and is not long back from 5 months out.

In my 45+ years of watching Arbroath, I’ve never seen anything even close to this at Arbroath or any other team for that matter. Every game we’re losing 1 or 2 players to injury to add to the already awful situation.

It’s actually a bit of a miracle that we’re not losing every game 5 or 6-0 at the moment.

2 hours ago, Cappiecat1.2 said:

What's the story here?

Deal was in place to sign him on loan from Rangers, deadline week August 2018. He had even been down training with the team.

Morton deal miraculously doesn't get concluded and he is new Falkirk manager Ray McKinnon's first signing.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Deal was in place to sign him on loan from Rangers, deadline week August 2018. He had even been down training with the team.

Morton deal miraculously doesn't get concluded and he is new Falkirk manager Ray McKinnon's first signing.

... fast forward to April 2019 when Rudden's part of the Falkirk team that got scudded at Grangemouth in the Sun.

(although to be fair to the wee scrote, he at least put in a better shift than some of the huddies around him that day...).

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

... fast forward to April 2019 when Rudden's part of the Falkirk team that got scudded at Grangemouth in the Sun.

(although to be fair to the wee scrote, he at least put in a better shift than some of the huddies around him that day...).

The outcome was indeed glorious.

I like trips to Arbroath but I hate playing them if that makes sense.

So we have nearly a full squad to utilize and they are breathing out their arses trying to field a team.

Professional job needing doing this weekend we can't look a gift horse in the m.......

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Thanks. I remember the incident but I'd completely forgotten the player was Rudden.

11 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Not trying to talk our chances down or invoke any mocker gods but Morton will likely never get a better chance for a comfortable win on Saturday.

Arbroath will likely struggle to get a team on the pitch and any kind of bench due to our current injury crisis. I think it’s 12, possibly 13 players out injured, most of them first choice and the starting lineup will likely have strikers and midfielders playing in defence and possibly a goalkeeper playing outfield at some point… again. Oh and our one “fit” defender has a broken toe and is not long back from 5 months out.

In my 45+ years of watching Arbroath, I’ve never seen anything even close to this at Arbroath or any other team for that matter. Every game we’re losing 1 or 2 players to injury to add to the already awful situation.

It’s actually a bit of a miracle that we’re not losing every game 5 or 6-0 at the moment.

Grim reading for your lads that is. Are you expecting any one of them back before the weekend? Or even any incomings at least? From a purely selfish Morton point of view I really hope not.

A win on Saturday plus results elsewhere puts daylight between ourselves and 10th while also potentially putting us 4th. Fingers crossed the Arbroath hoodoo is broken!