🔵⚪ Ton vs Lichties 🔴⚪ 27th January

28 minutes ago, GMFC89 said:

Grim reading for your lads that is. Are you expecting any one of them back before the weekend? Or even any incomings at least? From a purely selfish Morton point of view I really hope not.

A win on Saturday plus results elsewhere puts daylight between ourselves and 10th while also potentially putting us 4th. Fingers crossed the Arbroath hoodoo is broken!

No idea if and when any players will be back, the club have been very quiet on that front.

We’ve brought in 5 players so far this window and 3 of them are out injured already. Would think it unlikely that any more will come in as the squad is probably too large as it is.

If Arbroath take anything from this match then it’ll be some result.

9 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

No idea if and when any players will be back, the club have been very quiet on that front.

We’ve brought in 5 players so far this window and 3 of them are out injured already. Would think it unlikely that any more will come in as the squad is probably too large as it is.

If Arbroath take anything from this match then it’ll be some result.

If the situation remains the same I’d be very disappointed with anything other than a comfortable win. Oakley gives actual defenders a terrible time never mind a thrown together back 4 made up of strikers and injured guys. 

We know all to well how hard it is with an injury hit squad. Guys flung into positions they don’t naturally play generally ends up in disaster. 

26 minutes ago, GMFC89 said:

If the situation remains the same I’d be very disappointed with anything other than a comfortable win. Oakley gives actual defenders a terrible time never mind a thrown together back 4 made up of strikers and injured guys. 

We know all to well how hard it is with an injury hit squad. Guys flung into positions they don’t naturally play generally ends up in disaster. 

Scott Stewart has played in a plethora of positions this season. RB, LB, CB, CM and his natural RM (sometimes in the same game) . He has been Mr Reliable and IMO our player of the season. 

12 minutes ago, purplemonkeydishwasher said:

What score line is everyone thinking then? Can genuinely see BTTS being a stick on

We’ve been fairly solid at that back(United away aside) for a while now. Heart says 2-0 home win, head says it’s not always as straightforward as that. 

If we play as sloppily as we did on Saturday, we'll probably lose regardless of Arbroath's injuries and poor form. Good to see Imrie calling out 'complacency' in the cup performance - you can tell the squad is in a good place when he starts getting at them for their performance despite winning - but we still need to act on that tomorrow. 

Under Imrie we've been very good at bouncing back from poor performances. Harsh on paper to call the Montrose game poor as the stats say we've breezed by them in second gear, but it was some way off the standards set over the last couple months. 

Everything points to a comfortable Morton win tomorrow, I don't like it.

You just can’t help get the feeling that something’s happening here (Imrie’s extension and the clear intention to tie down a core squad)…

… but tomorrow is a classic test of whether we really are into new territory. Morton teams of the recent past would come crashing down from the wave of optimism against, of all teams, Arbroath; but if we can professionally put them away - and other results go our way - you get the sense Imrie will really fancy not only reaching the play-offs, but actually trying to compete in them.

I’ll take any win, but it would be good to do it with the minimum of drama.

Here's our superlative newly-contract-extended gaffer's take on tomorrow. It makes me very, very happy to know that this man will still be doing our pre and post match interiews in 2026. IMO he's the absolute best thing which has happened to Morton for decades. Props to the board for taking a gut-instinct punt on a total managerial greenhorn. Your faith in your gut was bang-on, gentlemen. 

If we have any aims of 4th, we simply need to be taking 3 points from these home games. 

As pointed out up the thread, I do think the win up in Arbroath could be significant in clearing that monkey. Proper bogey team.

I'm struggling to recall when I was less enthusiastic about a match.   Its no reflection on some of the tremendous battling performances we've seen under McIntyre, but it just feels like absolutely everything has gone against us this season.  15 injured players, playing matches when even the wind turns against us, having to play a goalie as an outfielder, making 5 signings during the window only for 3 of them to immediately break, being denied the world's most obvious penalty against Ayr, Raith getting a 95th minute winner against us out of nowhere, its just really depressing!

The worst bit is there isn't really anyone to blame.  The time was right to change management, the board backed him with signings when we needed them, we've looked cohesive and organised (which honestly is a miracle), we've rarely played that badly, so I don't see how we fix it.  Its not like you could say "sack the board", or blame referees.  It just feels like fate and the universe want us doon.

At this point, even the ever optimistic clashy might be doubting whether we will finish in the top four!

I’m looking forward to our visit to Cappielow. Always a decent venue and a good view of the game. It’ll be a first chance to see some of the new boys for real. McKinnon looks promising and Robinson certainly seems like a trier. My concern is that we’ll lose these guys at the end of the season if they’re any good. That will mean a massive rebuild in the Summer. 

12 hours ago, TheGoon said:

If we have any aims of 4th, we simply need to be taking 3 points from these home games. 

As pointed out up the thread, I do think the win up in Arbroath could be significant in clearing that monkey. Proper bogey team.

Absolutely! I thought that two weeks ago that we really have to beat the likes of Partick at home if we’ve any hopes of a play-off position. We should’ve been 2 or 3 up by half time but just couldn’t put the match to bed, which I feel we must start doing to be genuine promotion contenders

16 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Absolutely! I thought that two weeks ago that we really have to beat the likes of Partick at home if we’ve any hopes of a play-off position. We should’ve been 2 or 3 up by half time but just couldn’t put the match to bed, which I feel we must start doing to be genuine promotion contenders

Thanks for that obvious nonsense hot take on a game that happened a fortnight ago. 

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

14 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Their manager change should be enough. Dick's Arbroath were the bogey team.

I said this in the Arbroath thread too.

Can’t even see how the defence will line up today. This is unprecedented, surely the league could give us a postponement. Yes, it’s Arbroath’s own fault for not having a youth team and yes it’s up to the club to ensure that they have a large enough squad to cover for things like this but no one can accuse Arbroath of not trying to fix this - signed 5 players this window.