🔵⚪ Ton vs Lichties 🔴⚪ 27th January

Was always going to be a total miracle job lol. If it wasn’t hard enough we are down to 10 men early on harshly and then on top of that you have absolutely mental decisions  going against you and your thinking how do we get anything here 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Madness

Congratulations though to Morton on the win. Think Imrie is a great guy and has always been very respectful and kind to us and always has great things to say about us and we always enjoy our trips to Cappielow but I’ll pose the same question to the Morton fans as I did the Ayr fans who didn’t beat us and then labored to a very lucky win in farcical conditions in midweek.

Considering you aren’t at this point even playing Arbroaths first team including the real bogey (Mckenna) how did you feel you played?  Not being cheeky but you should have wiped the floor with us today but it’s taken a toiled late show and 2 questionable penalties to beat us. 3 points is 3 points but in the grand scheme of things not sure you can measure a game against Arbroath reserves as how well it can then go on and define your season. I think we all know if our first and strongest 11 is out there we all know it’s a different result and that’s not sour grapes that just facts as previous meetings have told us.

Thought Arbroath played quite well in first half even with ten men but second half was only going to be one winner if we got the first goal. 

Thought the first booking for their sending off was harsh but the second was a stonewall yellow. 

First penalty was a clear hand ball and I'm pretty sure a morton player was fouled seconds after it as well before he blew the whistle. Second penalty was clear as well, just a tired tackle against Crawford who'd found space to run in to the box. 

I like to think I'm fair when it comes to referees having howlers for both teams or in favour of Morton but honestly f**k knows what game Arbroath fans seem to have been watching. 

5 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Was always going to be a total miracle job lol. If it wasn’t hard enough we are down to 10 men early on harshly and then on top of that you have absolutely mental decisions  going against you and your thinking how do we get anything here 🇱🇻⚽🔥 Madness

Congratulations though to Morton on the win. Think Imrie is a great guy and has always been very respectful and kind to us and always has great things to say about us and we always enjoy our trips to Cappielow but I’ll pose the same question to the Morton fans as I did the Ayr fans who didn’t beat us and then labored to a very lucky win in farcical conditions in midweek.

Considering you aren’t at this point even playing Arbroaths first team including the real bogey (Mckenna) how did you feel you played?  Not being cheeky but you should have wiped the floor with us today but it’s taken a toiled late show and 2 questionable penalties to beat us. 3 points is 3 points but in the grand scheme of things not sure you can measure a game against Arbroath reserves as how well it can then go on and define your season. I think we all know if our first and strongest 11 is out there we all know it’s a different result and that’s not sour grapes that just facts as previous meetings have told us.

3-0  3+ 4th

im happy 

8 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

how did you feel you played?  Not being cheeky but you should have wiped the floor with us

Like last week's cup win against Montrose, it's difficult to complain about a clean sheet and a win in a game we 'should' be winning. But yes, we made hard work of that at times.

9 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Thought Arbroath played quite well in first half even with ten men but second half was only going to be one winner if we got the first goal. 

Thought the first booking for their sending off was harsh but the second was a stonewall yellow. 

First penalty was a clear hand ball and I'm pretty sure a morton player was fouled seconds after it as well before he blew the whistle. Second penalty was clear as well, just a tired tackle against Crawford who'd found space to run in to the box. 

I like to think I'm fair when it comes to referees having howlers for both teams or in favour of Morton but honestly f**k knows what game Arbroath fans seem to have been watching. 

SERIOUSLY ? 😮

Got there in the end. We were never in any danger of losing that, but certainly made hard work of it. 

I thought Arbroath were fine, when their players weren’t rolling about the deck after next to no contact.

Just now, TheGoon said:

Got there in the end. We were never in any danger of losing that, but certainly made hard work of it. 

I thought Arbroath were fine, when their players weren’t rolling about the deck after next to no contact.

IDIOT

Just now, TheGoon said:

No idea what the Arbroath fans were complaining about tbh. The official got one big decision wrong and it was to disallow our goal for their keeper being a weak dumpling.

Arbroath fans will likely feel a sense of injustice at the moment - just about everything is going wrong for them and the game today is a classic of what happens when you're bottom of the table and can't buy a break. 

That said the most impactful decisions of the game were correct in my view. The point of a yellow card is to warn you of the consequences of making another significant foul - any midfielder or defender needs to adjust their game based on that and a cynical shirt pull is a really stupid way to get a second yellow. The first penalty awarded was correct from my view - similar to last week's where a defender makes a pretty needless challenge and foul inside the box. There also wasn't a foul when the Arbroath forward went down before the second goal, before making a miraculous recovery when it achieved f**k all. 

The referee's application of yellow cards for other fouls was pretty inconsistent though and definitely went in our favour. The second penalty looked extremely soft which would only add to Arbroath's grievance.

Imrie made the key decision to clinch the result by taking Power off for Garrity which removed the risk of a red card and added the skill we lacked until that point. We were sloppy again, particularly in the first half, but pulled away after the first goal quite convincingly. If we had taken either of the two sitters either side of half time then I think the margin of victory would have been similar too. I'd expect us to actually play better at Dunfermline next week when they'll take the game to us more - Arbroath's gameplan today (entirely sensible) was always going to see us huff and puff to break it down. 

17 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

We were never going to win the game but the referee has cost us even a chance at a point. 

Well no, that would be Jacobs for committing a shirt pull like a total fanny when the consequences were obvious and the situation involved little immediate danger. 

31 minutes ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Do I think we played particularly well? No. But do I think we had another couple of gears to go up and if needed and under normal circumstances when a team is full strength and coming at us rather than self preserve, rightly so given you’ve next to no fit players then the answer would be yes. 

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread I think both penalty decisions were correct and Jacobs can really only blame himself for being sent off today. The highlights may tell us differently when they come out but for me live it was pretty black and white for all three shouts. 

We made hard work of that in the 1st half but ran out comfortable winners in the end.

Dougie got his team selection wrong at the start of the game. Trying to shoehorn Blues into the team leaves us with no width. Blues starting on the right, then moving over to the left was a bit mindboggling 

Dougie needs to make his mind up, he needs to drop Blues or play him and drop Wilson (which would be a travesty) Blues playing out wide simply does not work.

When we brought on our wide players we simply steamrolled Arbroath and had we done that in the 1st half the score could have been a lot more.

For Arbroath, they battled well, but unless they're getting their injured players back soon they look destined for the drop to the seasides.

🤣🤣🤣 I know it sounds like we are making excuses and moaning about things but cmon guys even the most truthful Morton fans are saying the decisions going against us. End of the day you were playing our reserves and pretty much  struggled. Bet the first thing you did was check if Mckenna (Actual Morton Bogey) was playing and then knew you hit the jackpot lol. Nevermind Gaston TOB Little Dow, Slater and the rest of the missing First Team lol.

Last game at Gayfield if Mckenna is playing and you beat us I’ll happily eat my words so please screenshot this post for Maximum effect 🤣🤣🤣 🇱🇻⚽🔥💪

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

After how laboured the first half was, I thought there was much more control to it with some patience from the players to believe that we would break them down rather than forcing it in the second half, then it was a question of how many once we scored. Garrity for Power was a good sub which stretched the game and we got our reward for it.

I'd need to see the award of the first penalty back to say how fair it was as I had a brief moment of a pillar in the wa,  but had people around me claiming for both a handball and a foul following it. We'd already scored a perfectly good goal before that which was disallowed for no reason, and I thought Arbroath could easily have ended up with another couple of reds, the ref going from one extreme to the other with his card happy start to the second half bringing out the cards for nothing fouls followed by letting obvious yellows for Stowe and Bird go for no reason other than them being booked already.

The supposed high foot by Baird in the build up to the second was not remotely close to being a high foot, was nothing like Jacobs' first booking and if there was a foul there it would actually have been for Morton due to the pretty nasty late lunge by Bird which was the reason his head was anywhere near Baird's foot when Baird hadn't cleared waist height. Bird simply launched himself at Baird then feigned injury when he missed him. There was a question of offside when Oakley got onto it but we'd twice been pulled back with Crawford clean through from a clearly onside position prior to that.

Bird losing the head through frustration aside, can't criticise Arbroath's performance. With an injury crisis of that extent they played exactly the cagey game they should with obviously out of position players sticking to unfamiliar tasks well, then obviously got more cagey when down to 10 men and played it exactly as any other team would with timewasting and turning into a shitfest as best they could. You could tell though that every player in that team knew the game was done at 1-0, and the foul for the second penalty was the sort of tired clumsiness that comes from a team that have been run ragged and want off the park before it gets any worse.

We could have turned the screw and scored four or five between some of the set-piece stramashes and Garrity's chance, not to mention the chances Crawford and Wilson missed at 0-0, but job well done regardless. Eventually broke down a team sitting in and defending well then made the game comfortable once the lead was secured.

Garrity by the way. He's a player.