Pavement Parking

2 hours ago, morrison said:

The US has essentially no 'sidewalks' and has turned over 50% of its land to free parking lots. That's why you don't see a pavement parking problem. 

And bloody hell, you'd widen the roads to solve the problem? What a wonderfully American solution.

No, but the average sidewalk is about 4 feet wide.

When the pavement is 10-15 feet wide, you’re begging people to park on it to keep the road clear. Use some of the pavement surface for parking and keep the rest for pedestrians,

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that people choose not to use public transport in Edinburgh does not mean that the public transport in Edinburgh is not adequate. In fact, it's literally the point. I have sympathy with people who live in places which are detached from the public transport networks, even within the central belt, but Edinburgh is not such a place. It has an extensive bus network, trams, two mainline train stations and ever increasing cycle paths. It's also small enough that you can basically walk from one end to the other in little more than an hour.

Absolutely agree that it doesn’t prove anything. The point was being made to Mr. VikingWang, that his assumption was clearly incorrect.

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I walked from the Ingliston stop to the airport last summer. Martin Lewis would be proud of me.

And saved £5.50. Just as a matter of interest, why didn’t you do like many of the others that got off there and trundle over to the NCP remote parking and take the shuttle bus from there? You’re not supposed to, but that’s the fun.

10 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

It’s that time again.

I call it a runway (I know I know). It seems to be a select Kilwinning thing with a few people my age. However definitely in the minority.

It was a "run-in" in my part of Ayrshire back in the day.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

No, but the average American is about 4 feet wide.

When the pavement is 10-15 feet wide, you’re begging people to park on it to keep the road clear. Use some of the pavement surface for parking and keep the rest for pedestrians,

FTFY.

Joking apart, pavements weren't designed (and built) for parking and likely won't stand up to the wear and tear that cars regularly parking on them will result in.

Where I am we have the perfect solution - cars and car parking have absolute priority over pedestrians etc.  Folk routinely take over the pavement to not only park but extend their garden and whatnot.  One cheeky c**t even has a sign asking people to respect his plants which are planted on the pavement!  To be fair, most pedestrians seem unaware that roads are for cars rather then them so it's 6 of one and half-a-dozen of the other to some extent. Driving down our 100m street it's necessary to weave in and out of cars parked on either side of the road rather than all on just one side.  

ETA - I'm also guilty as I converted our carport to a sunroom - in my defence this was before we had a car and I had no intention of buying one. 

Edited by hk blues

9 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

What time do you finish?

How long would it take to get back home using public transport?

About an hour, at a minimum. Driving it’s about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic. When I drive home I get back in time to put the boy to bed, if I took public transport I wouldn’t.

As he gets older and goes to bed later maybe I’ll start taking the train. 

The greatest commute is walking. I used to live in Leith and worked in town, I’d walk 30-45 minutes in, was brilliant, relaxing, good for fitness. When I moved further out I would get the bus in and run home, or cycle both ways. Excellent start and end to the day.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Anything that leads to fines for lazy arsed parents abandoning their cars around primary schools for an hour each day is fine by me. 

If you have to drive your child to school in a car you should have it (and the car) taken off you 

On my way to a baby and toddler class this morning and one stretch of road I walked on had 18 cars on the pavement. At one point I had to go on the road or onto the property to get past. This stretch of road included double yellows and a corner.

IMG_0494.jpeg

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

On my way to a baby and toddler class this morning and one stretch of road I walked on had 18 cars on the pavement. At one point I had to go on the road or onto the property to get past. This stretch of road included double yellows and a corner.

IMG_0494.jpeg

That is FKKN ridiculous!

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

As I'm now the proud owner of a child, and therefore a pram, I think anyone parking on a pavement should be executed.

Seems fair enough to me.

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

As I'm now the proud owner of a child, and therefore a pram, I think anyone parking on a pavement should be executed.

I think you misunderstand parenting with regards to who owns who 😀

I have " some" sympathy that town planning over the past 40 years has been moronically copying America with out of town leisure parks, amalgamation of schools and living in a horrible soulless suburban housing scheme where you have to jump in a car as soon as you leave the front door is an indicator of getting on.

I'm lucky to live in Scotlands best city where our barely adequate bus network is enough to exist alongside most places being a less than hour walk from everything worth going to.

The only good thing about the death of the high street is that city centres should be given over to being residential areas again.

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

Edinburgh, Draft Transit 2030 Plan, Internal to Edinburgh travel: Automobile 36% Bus 34% Train 1%

Now, as I remember from school, 36 > 34+1. It would seem a majority of those using powered transit within Edinburgh might disagree with your position. From all areas external to Edinburgh, the lowest Auto use percentage is 56% from the NorthWest suburbs, with others reaching 85%.

As for your interesting theory on paid employment, simply because a location is within the “Central Belt”, it far from assures that there is any reasonable way to get to and from that location via mass transit. You assert that the Central Belt is the be all and end all for affordability, Edinburgh actually ranks poorly, and it’s Inverclyde (granted, part of the belly of Glasgow, sagging over the belt) the that gets the plaudits…however, using mass transit within that area to get to “the jobs” isn’t as easy as you make it out. Greenock Central to Glasgow Central is easy enough,  as long as you work conventional hours and at a job close to there. Your affordable home had better be with a good connection too.

Just because YOU don’t see a need for a vehicle, doesn’t make it unnecessary for others, as people and families have widely varying needs and responsibilities. If you work a late shift in Glasgow, you’re f**ked getting home to Inverclyde.

The 'contribution' of the biggest village idiot in Texas has been autofiled in the bin where it belongs. 

Thanks for playing anyway though. 

6 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

As I'm now the proud owner of a child, and therefore a pram

Either it's old enough to walk, or it's small enough to fit in your backpack. No pram needed. 

Edited by DiegoDiego