Horrifying if you are in the bottom 3 of this league, but I watch on with morbid fascination.

Going by what has happened to the others who went down, it really is the trapdoor to hell.

IMG_6655.png

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Horrifying if you are in the bottom 3 of this league, but I watch on with morbid fascination.

Going by what has happened to the others who went down, it really is the trapdoor to hell.

The SPFL Four have finished this season in the bottom half of the Lowland League, behind Cumbernauld Colts, Civil Service Strollers, the two B teams and the three ex-Juniors. Edinburgh Uni will be going down, maybe Gretna too. At some point Beith will stop c*ck-blocking the WoS and then the likes of Clydebank, Talbot and Pollok will come up. The league gets tougher every year and even if you win it you only get a play-off for a play-off.

Albion Rovers nearly survived last season, they got 39 points, and they've just finished 9th.

image.png

Edited by GordonS

On 18/04/2024 at 20:52, 1993 said:

Buckie are definitely not interested in going up. The previous poster who said Brechin and Banks o Dee are the only ones really interested in going up with maybe Inverurie added is correct.

Financially I don't see why they wouldn't even if it was just for a season bag £100k next season and even if they went straight down they would have 2 seasons of parachute payments.

Currently I imagine they get nothing for winning the HL apart from the trophy.

6 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Albion Rovers nearly survived last season, they got 39 points, and they've just finished 9th.

image.png

To be fair, they were plundered for all their decent players. Albion Rovers last season without Charlie Reilly would have bombed. 

9 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Financially I don't see why they wouldn't even if it was just for a season bag £100k next season and even if they went straight down they would have 2 seasons of parachute payments.

Currently I imagine they get nothing for winning the HL apart from the trophy.

They would probably need a new squad of players who would want to travel and they are hard to find up here with Elgin and Peterhead looking for same players.

20 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

To be fair, they were plundered for all their decent players. Albion Rovers last season without Charlie Reilly would have bombed. 

Sure but that would likely happen to whoever comes down.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Sure but that would likely happen to whoever comes down.

It would. But it means their relatively OK performance last season doesn't mean much compared to what's a very different side this season.

Nobody's under any illusion that going down would be tough. Partly because any decent players would picked off and you'd be shopping in a lower quality market for replacements.

22 hours ago, GordonS said:

No team going down to the LL is going to be able to attract the calibre of player they had in SPFL's bottom tier. It's amazing Albion Rovers are even ninth.

7 minutes ago, rockson said:

No team going down to the LL is going to be able to attract the calibre of player they had in SPFL's bottom tier. It's amazing Albion Rovers are even ninth.

Yep, that's part of the reason why it's a trapdoor to hell.

image.png

1 hour ago, rockson said:

If EK can attract players from the Championship I’m sure (with enough £££s) it could be done. Plus for us it wouldn’t be hard to beat the calibre of player we’ve had for most of the season.

I see in the WOSFL Beith may win the league, however they are not eligible for the playoff and no team will take their place.

Would this happen if one of the B teams won the LL.

Playoff between HL champs and team 42, straight off the bat.

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

I see in the WOSFL Beith may win the league, however they are not eligible for the playoff and no team will take their place.

Would this happen if one of the B teams won the LL.

Playoff between HL champs and team 42, straight off the bat.

The Lowland League workaround for the B teams is that they cannot be champions, and the final league standings exclude them from the table.

There has been a belief online that a Club 42 or HL club may challenge if a B team had the most points but someone else declared LL champion. The rule has now been on the books for 3 seasons, that ship has probably sailed.

On 20/04/2024 at 20:44, GordonS said:

The SPFL Four have finished this season in the bottom half of the Lowland League, behind Cumbernauld Colts, Civil Service Strollers, the two B teams and the three ex-Juniors. Edinburgh Uni will be going down, maybe Gretna too. At some point Beith will stop c*ck-blocking the WoS and then the likes of Clydebank, Talbot and Pollok will come up. The league gets tougher every year and even if you win it you only get a play-off for a play-off.

image.png

When you say maybe Gretna too. What’s that scenario please ?

1 hour ago, annan4eva said:

When you say maybe Gretna too. What’s that scenario please ?

If a Lowland area team comes down - Clyde, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg, the only sides that can finish bottom - but EK don't go up, then there would be 19 clubs in the LL, so they would relegate 2 clubs instead of 1. In short, if Buckie win the play-offs, Gretna get relegated.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

If a Lowland area team comes down - Clyde, Stranraer or Bonnyrigg, the only sides that can finish bottom - but EK don't go up, then there would be 19 clubs in the LL, so they would relegate 2 clubs instead of 1. In short, if Buckie win the play-offs, Gretna get relegated.

Thanks, see what happens.