Clyde vs Dumbarton

Match Outcome  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/24 at 14:59

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Perhaps we could do a Saturday Swap Shop kind of thing?

We take your Board and you take ours and £110 plus a tray of pies?

This tray of pies has piqued my interest, how many would that be?

2 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I agree. I've said a few times, they remind me of Arbroath when they got promoted to the Championship. Every time we play them, I feel like they aren't any better than us (in the matches), but they know how to grind out results when not playing well and they have developed a habit of winning.

Consistency is huge at this level and they have shown it where noone else has. I've not been overly impressed by them when we have played them this year, but they have a settled side, a manager who is getting the best out of his players and they are resilient. We haven't done anywhere near enough in most of our games this year, despite us often having the bulk of possession and lots of corners etc... a half decent manager, who can actually get the best out of his players, would have us at least competing for the title this season.

What Stenny have in Gary Naismith is a manager who can assess the flow of a game and make changes accordingly.  Last season we led Stenny 1-0 at home and he introduced Gavin O'Reilly who then changed the course of both the game and the scoreline.

Similarly, at Ochilview recently we were arguably the better team for the first hour and he sent on Yates and Taylor and again the game swung in Stenny's favour - for fifteen minutes Taylor ripped us a new one.

So Stenny might not be stellar, but they have the best squad and the best manager in League Two, and the table doesn't lie.

59 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

What Stenny have in Gary Naismith is a manager who can assess the flow of a game and make changes accordingly.  Last season we led Stenny 1-0 at home and he introduced Gavin O'Reilly who then changed the course of both the game and the scoreline.

Similarly, at Ochilview recently we were arguably the better team for the first hour and he sent on Yates and Taylor and again the game swung in Stenny's favour - for fifteen minutes Taylor ripped us a new one.

So Stenny might not be stellar, but they have the best squad and the best manager in League Two, and the table doesn't lie.

I 100% agree with you. It is just frustrating that, this season, they haven't had to be as good as others have in other years to win the league so comfortably. In my opinion, even the Stirling Albion side if last season would have won this league over the current Stenny team. In years gone by it's been much more competitive division with many better teams fighting it out at the top.

But nobody will, and nobody can, argue that they are by a country mile the best team in the league and the main reasons for that are that they have a very good manager and a good squad.

When you look at the Clyde squad that McCall has cobbled together since he arrived it really isn’t bottom of the league material. There’s definitely some shite still kicking around but he’s managed to put together a handy squad on paper. Given our form and the fact that Stevie Farrell couldn’t get a tune out of BB King’s Lucille, they must be looking at this Saturday as the perfect chance to start clawing away at the gap. 

I’ll be more shocked if we win vs us making a complete arse of it. 

Our critical problem is that we have, for almost two full seasons now, simply forgotten how to win games of football. Countless dropped leads, late gasp goals against us and poor performances at times when we are needed most to step up (see Elgin and Stranraer for the most recent examples).

We’ve been pretty decent at home under McCall performance wise and haven’t looked too out of our depth but this feels like another game where we might be moaning about a draw where we could’ve won ahead of the Forfar match.

Even when ahead, there’s just no confidence we’ll see it out. Even when 3 up on Bonnyrigg we tried our best to hand them a point. 

I thought Bonnyrigg could’ve been a turning point, but that’s not happened. 

17 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

I 100% agree with you. It is just frustrating that, this season, they haven't had to be as good as others have in other years to win the league so comfortably. In my opinion, even the Stirling Albion side if last season would have won this league over the current Stenny team. In years gone by it's been much more competitive division with many better teams fighting it out at the top.

But nobody will, and nobody can, argue that they are by a country mile the best team in the league and the main reasons for that are that they have a very good manager and a good squad.

While Naysmith is doing well this season I'm not sure where this idea that he is a very good manager has come from. His record with East Fife and QOS was certainly nothing special.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

When you look at the Clyde squad that McCall has cobbled together since he arrived it really isn’t bottom of the league material. There’s definitely some shite still kicking around but he’s managed to put together a handy squad on paper. Given our form and the fact that Stevie Farrell couldn’t get a tune out of BB King’s Lucille, they must be looking at this Saturday as the perfect chance to start clawing away at the gap. 

I’ll be more shocked if we win vs us making a complete arse of it. 

The big problem with the squad is when it was assembled. If this team was put together last summer and had a handful of friendlies plus the League Cup group to gel, on paper, they'd be capable of challenging for promotion.

Instead we've got almost a new team trying to gel coming up against settled teams. This has been compounded by the fact we were already thoroughly in the shit by the time the majority of them arrived. I think this has meant many of them are in their own heads when they're playing leading to a lack of composure and some truly egregious errors e.g. Lyon's gift to Bonnyrigg, Leighfield dropping Elgin's winner into the goal, Parry getting lobbed from Northern Ireland etc.

If the last fortnight hasn't got to them too much, I feel we've got a decent shot in this game. This iteration of the team's two real stinkers have both come away from home after very long trips (Elgin and Stranraer). At home we've beaten Bonnyrigg and drawn with Peterhead. Bonnyrigg were lucky not to be on the end of a doing tbh. I didn't see the Peterhead game but, going off highlights and others' accounts of the game, we should have been out of sight in that too.

ETA: Realised that the culprits in the three examples I gave were all with us before January 😮‍💨 stand by the bulk of what I said though

Edited by Clyde_MM

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

While Naysmith is doing well this season I'm not sure where this idea that he is a very good manager has come from. His record with East Fife and QOS was certainly nothing special.

He won this league with East Fife and is about to do the same with Stenny. He must be doing something right. Compared to The Bum he looks like Pep Guardiola.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Won the league at East Fife mate.

I'd assume you weren't aware of that. To say winning a league with a modest budget is nothing special seems a bit silly.

He's about to add another league win. He's maybe not Pep but he certainly knows his onions round these parts more than most.