Scottish Football's Top Cult Heroes

5 hours ago, Al B said:

Sasa Curcic.

Bit of a legendary arrival already given his antics down in the English Premiership, arrived at Motherwell and his contract talks involved telling the club he wanted to be paid in beautiful women instead of money. Left about 6 weeks later. I'll let you draw your own conclusions there.

Curcic was one of the first ones I thought of as well.

Shivute as well.

and this guy...

Straker28012015F.jpg

Edited by capt_oats

Zoltan Varga for Aberdeen. Emerged overnight, in 1972, from the midst of a ban for match fixing in Europe, played in 31 glorious games for the Dons scoring ten goals and then quietly departed as mysteriously as he arrived.

Possibly the most outrageously talented player to grace a football pitch in Scotland.

Cementing his status was the appearance of Zoltan Varga Anderson a few months after he left.

He was a winner in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup and had an Olympic Gold Medal and confirmed his cult status by dropping down dead in the middle of an Old Boys game at the age of 65.

Once seen, never forgotten.

6 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Momo Sylla?

Miguel Simao was my first thought, you still get fans who know how he celebrated goals and he left us 24 years ago.

Hell of a career.

Screenshot_20240220_171011_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7206f431227af1074aba7bd04f96d7f.jpg

Cammy Fraser, a Dundee fan and a brilliant player for us, once got sent off for halving Davie Provan right in front of the Derry as we were getting pumped. Highlight of the day.

Also gave the Rangers fans the V sign, while playing for them.

Screenshot_20240220_173153_Chrome.jpg.936ce6537ad99fe64a7d16ad411c4ab8.jpg

Zoltan Varga. Was only with us a short time but what a pler! Something to do with a scandal meant he ended up with us.

ETA The late Ally Shewan

Ernie McGarr

Edited by Raidernation

From a Celtic perspective, probably the biggest 'cult hero' in my 47 years on the planet was, in all honesty a guy who never even played for the club, I'd imagine he is equally as revered by Hibernian supporters of a similar age. 

ei8sezfn7b051.jpg

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Miguel Simao was my first thought, you still get fans who know how he celebrated goals and he left us 24 years ago.

Hell of a career.

Good shout. He's also a lovely guy. My Mrs worked with disabled kids in those days and Saints donated some toys/games and such to the place she worked. It was Miguel that delivered them. On his own. And spent ages there having his photo taken with the kids.

Maybe Attila is a possibility as well.

4 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Good shout. He's also a lovely guy. My Mrs worked with disabled kids in those days and Saints donated some toys/games and such to the place she worked. It was Miguel that delivered them. On his own. And spent ages there having his photo taken with the kids.

Maybe Attila is a possibility as well.

Nick Dasovic from that same team. He was a smashing guy too, we used to chat Metal in the Ice Factory of a Saturday evening.

Jukka Santala

Turned up on loan as a young, Finnish centre half, got turned into a striker, caused chaos wherever he went on the pitch, scored a decent number of goals then left and disappeared back to Scandinavia. He’s now a recruitment consultant. 

6 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Jukka Santala

Turned up on loan as a young, Finnish centre half, got turned into a striker, caused chaos wherever he went on the pitch, scored a decent number of goals then left and disappeared back to Scandinavia. He’s now a recruitment consultant. 

He was fucking rubbish and an absolute goal machine. I've referenced this before but I think it was @ThistleDoNicely or similar username who described him as "goalscoring oaf, Jukka Santala" and it fits him perfectly.

We had him on loan from Rangers in an absolute banter team under Dick Campbell.

From the same team I'd say Boab McCulloch qualifies as a cult hero. Fattest player I've seen play for us and be pretty good and scored some utter stoaters.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hell of a career.

Screenshot_20240220_171011_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7206f431227af1074aba7bd04f96d7f.jpg

Always thought Simao was a great player for you

Edited by Willie adie