Scottish Football's Top Cult Heroes

6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Any back story on this?

I just remember him being given pelters, as they say, at Parkhead circa 69/70. As a little boy in my Celtic tammy I thought he must be not nice, as an adult with all Celtic regalia long since binned I think he must have wonderful .

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

I just remember him being given pelters, as they say, at Parkhead circa 69/70. As a little boy in my Celtic tammy I thought he must be not nice, as an adult with all Celtic regalia long since binned I think he must have wonderful .

Cheers.

On 20/02/2024 at 18:00, VincentGuerin said:

30 years and about 15 minutes ago.

image.jpeg.fb05a74ea3c559c838b27ff62d9c5aa6.jpeg

Happy to say I was at this game. Was still at high school, and remember vividly the carnage in that end!  Good times. Fozzy definitely deserves the 'cult hero' tag. I believe he ended up working as a postie post-football.

3 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Foster was utterly useless at Falkirk in Bannon's "Embra Auld Crocks XI" he tried to assemble.

He was utterly useless 90% of the time at Hearts too to be honest.  I can't remember him being at Falkirk?! I can picture him in a Partick Thistle top but can't remember him at all being a Bairn. 

1 minute ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

96/97 along with Berry, Mitchell, Tortolano, Nelson...

10 (5) apps, 1 goal*, get lost.

*the goal was against Clydebank in Chris Waddle's debut.

I do remember the trend of a lot of ex-Hearts players ending up at Falkirk, and even more so - Airdrie. 

Chris Waddle at Falkirk eh... mental. I loved Waddle as a player.

On 24/02/2024 at 14:41, Rustybadge said:

Did you not rate him?? I thought he was very decent at Hearts...

I felt he was very pedestrian, sideways and backwards and slowed us down greatly, a bit like Perry Kitchen (shudder), albeit better than Perry, but wouldn't even make the bench with today's squad. 

On 23/02/2024 at 07:44, Markymark1874 said:

Think a lot of people mixing up good/favourite players with cult heroes.

As a Hearts fan with no allegiance at all to Dundee Utd I’d suggest the ultimate cult hero across Scottish fitba as the aforementioned Davie Bowman.

More famous (infamous?) for his disciplinary record than his football ability but loved for it.

Took up floristry after he retired. True story.

On 24/02/2024 at 13:26, Rustybadge said:

Happy to say I was at this game. Was still at high school, and remember vividly the carnage in that end!  Good times. Fozzy definitely deserves the 'cult hero' tag. I believe he ended up working as a postie post-football.

He worked as a postie quite near to Tynecastle- possibly the Slateford area. Played a season for Dunbar United after leaving Partick Thistle. 

On 21/02/2024 at 01:13, Unleash The Nade said:

Drew Busby
One of the hardest players ever to pull on the maroon jersey and we still sing about him today .

3E8BE7AB-CF70-4D05-8DED-3D19654208FC.thumb.webp.b65d7c27158710646b4514cf69a57205.webp

Met him in a pub that he owned in Renton, Dumbartonshire. You had to be seriously hard to run a pub in Renton! Also played for Third Lanark IIRC.  What about Connor Sammon for Killie? Remember hearing the Killie fans shouting " Feed the fish". For St.Mirren, has to be Charlie Adam. Nae pace but very, very gifted. Remember him scoring against us from the halfway line when playing for Dundee. That goal and the one Zerouali scored from a free kick were the only goals where I witnessed St.Mirren fans applauding an opposition goal.

8 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Surely.....

Davie Dodds, "The Elephant Man" but a decent goalscorer for every team he played for. Loved him at the Dons, hated him at the DABS

He's still a massive bevvy merchant. No wonder his foray in pub ownership ended up somewhat unsuccessful.