⚫️⚪️Ayr vs Thistle🔴🟡 - Tuesday 27th February 2024

Should be plenty of of goals in this one. Ayr still really don't particularly like defending. Going by the evidence from Friday night v Dunfermline, Partick are in the same boat.

Brian Graham to score his obligatory goal against us anytime for anyone looking for an easy bet.

Been a horrible couple of weeks for us exiting Cup after a commanding two goal lead,scoring three at Caley and only getting a point and then the Refereeing/defensive abberation on Friday night.Would take a point now and await our ragdolling at the hands of United on Saturday.

Only bright spot is Dowds will be not available, still can't understand why we let him go in favour of Adeloye.

Edited by I Clavdivs

1 hour ago, I Clavdivs said:

Been a horrible couple of weeks for us exiting Cup after a commanding two goal lead,scoring three at Caley and only getting a point and then the Refereeing/defensive abberation on Friday night.Would take a point now and await our ragdolling at the hands of United on Saturday.

Only bright spot is Dowds will be not available, still can't understand why we let him go in favour of Adeloye.

Really? I think Adeloye is quite clearly a better player than Dowds.

20 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

It wasn’t really working for Dowds at Firhill. Whether he was getting caught in the crosshairs of politics or wasn’t enjoying working there, he seems to have found a place at Ayr. I am still to be convinced by Adeloye, particularly when we are up against it.

45 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Having seen both of them as our main striker I’d have to do with Dowds. 

I’ll take a point here. Dowds will be a big miss here but I’d imagine we’ll chuck Willoughby in and hope he can do something from the start. Hopefully Reading and Stanger are fit for this one as well. 

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Dowds current strike rate v Adeloye says otherwise and to be fair ,and politics aside,he did not get enough game time at Thistle when in the shadow of the League's top scorer.Adeloye can bag a few when in the mood but  just doesn't look it the mood most of the time IMHO .

1 hour ago, I Clavdivs said:

Dowds current strike rate v Adeloye says otherwise and to be fair ,and politics aside,he did not get enough game time at Thistle when in the shadow of the League's top scorer.Adeloye can bag a few when in the mood but  just doesn't look it the mood most of the time IMHO .

Adeloye’s strike rate in terms of goals per minute is the best in the division (or at least it was a couple of weeks back when I saw the stat).

You can look at Dowds with 9 in 19 and Adeloye with 6 in 19, but Adeloye has scored those goals in substitute appearances; far fewer minutes on the pitch than Dowds. He’s just unlucky to be stuck behind Brian Graham or his goal tally would look much better imo.

I get the laziness point, which I think is the one drawback with Tomi. It might not be true, but it just looks like he’s playing the game in a huff. I think in terms of natural ability though he’s one of the best strikers in the league, though, and if he wasn’t stuck behind a guy as good as Graham then he’d get to show it.

I’m not anti-Dowds either, btw. Thought he started off well for us, and again was just unfortunate to never really get a run of starts due to Graham. Wasn’t showing much from the bench and then of course his arsehole of an agent got involved and the rest is history. Glad to see him doing well for Ayr and also pleased he won’t be able to play against us on Tuesday.

34 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Adeloye with 6 in 19, but Adeloye has scored those goals in substitute appearances; far fewer minutes on the pitch than Dowds

I agree, Adeloye has done well goal wise for the minutes he has been given. I would argue that he is a better all round player than Dowds technique wise,  Dowds always looked a bit clunky on the ball while with us.

That said, Dowds clearly is a goal scorer, he is proving that this season and did also start last season impressively for us despite a lack of minutes. I would say both are good strikers for this level.

Adeloye is unlucky to have only be given two starts throughout this league season (both of which he scored in) but it is difficult when you are stuck behind the league’s top scorer and club captain.

I wonder if Adeloye thought he'd get more game time with Graham turning 36 but instead Graham actually seems to be getting more prolific with age. 

Adeloye's quite similar to Dowds last season for us in that his goals off the bench are in games where we were already multiple goals up (making it 4-1 vs Morton, 4-0 vs Ayr, and 3-0 and 4-0 vs Arbroath) whereas when he's been asked to come off the bench in a game we're not 2 goals up in he hasn't scored once. However as said he's started 2 league games and scored in both of them.

Dowds looked great in that similar role at the start of last season but his confidence was completely gone by the end of it and Doolan didn't trust him in the playoffs, think he only got on in the second leg vs Ayr when the game was long over. Loan move has worked out well for him and I'm surprised Ayr didn't try and sign him permanently in January, partly so he can play against us and partly so they don't lose him to someone else in the summer.

Edited by Fuctifano

Adeloye should be good for a goal for this anyway, just like Vaughn yesterday. While we'll probably huff and puff with McKenzie or Bryden upfront, or maybe Willoughby where there's every chance we come to the realisation he's shite.

A win here would be huge to set us up for a run of 4 games in March against the sides around us in the table. 

Partick were pretty hopeless on Friday night (although we weren't much better yesterday). I'd take a point but I have a wee feeling we might be able to get a win.  Going to have to rely a lot on Chalmers and Murphy without Dowds in the middle to tie things together.

Ayr 2-1 Partick.

13 hours ago, AUcal said:

A win here would be huge to set us up for a run of 4 games in March against the sides around us in the table. 

Partick were pretty hopeless on Friday night (although we weren't much better yesterday). I'd take a point but I have a wee feeling we might be able to get a win.  Going to have to rely a lot on Chalmers and Murphy without Dowds in the middle to tie things together.

Ayr 2-1 Partick.

I don’t think we were hopeless on Friday. We were well in control until Dunfermline scored the equaliser at the end of the 1st half. We were poor in the 2nd half but the 2nd disallowed goal and Dunfermline scoring their 3rd so soon afterwards would knock the stuffing out of most teams.

With Ayrs policy of not telling us who is fit and available, we only know Dowds won’t be playing. 
If Reading and Stanger are out again, we will most likely be on the end of a thumping. Murphy was a doubt on Saturday and went off after an hour but he seemed to be moving ok. 

With Dowds being out, we need Chalmers and Murphy to be on it. We’ll either start with Willoughby, who has played about 30 minutes over 5 sub appearances and has touched the ball less that 10 times in total, or Bryden, who is capable but raw, young and inconsistent . If it’s not Willoughby then I don’t know why we brought him in or what scouting we actually did on him. 

It’ll be a narrow Ayr win or Thistle will score 4 or 5 or both.