Killie vs The Rangers 2012

1 hour ago, Sortmeout said:

Happy with the performance if not the final result.

Fair play to Rangers, that’s how you win leagues.

Fair assessment - Rangers deserved the win for making the changes at the break (proof the Clement is actually a good manager unlike the previous incumbent in the Ibrox hot seat) but had we taken our chances, we could have had the game wrapped up by half time. Going in 1-0 at the break was the least we deserved at the time, and had it not been for Butland's superb save I think the best Rangers could have hoped for would have been a draw. The chance that Kennedy had just after the break could also have been crucial, but five minutes of sloppy play cost us the game. When Danny Armstrong went off for Rory McKenzie, we definitely lost an outlet going forward on the right side that GMS might have been able to keep going.

Overall, the performance was good tonight (especially in the first half) and on the whole there's very little to be despondent about as a Killie fan these days. We were competitive once again against an opponent with far greater resources in title-winning form, and it's a far cry from last season where I was questioning if we would ever be able to beat the Old Firm sides ever again. We have a great chance to bounce back at Dens on Saturday, and I'd expect a few changes. Still, that's one of the toughest runs of fixtures for us out the way with. If you'd told me that we'd get 4 points from Celtic away, Aberdeen at home and Rangers at home before this run began, I'd have taken that.

Onwards - the season has some tantalising fixtures and potentially rewards still on offer, and two or three more victories should see us over the line and confirm the top six place. 

2 hours ago, Jorg Albertz said:

Since you are so invested in this game , what do make of the 2 Killie handballs ? 

Findlay’s wasn’t a penalty because it hit his foot before hitting his hand. That rules it out. 
Not even sure the Mayo one actually touched him. Would have been if it did but it’s not conclusive.

Donnelly’s is a stonewaller. 

7 hours ago, Jorg Albertz said:

I'm sure he tried extra hard to score against Rangers with a name like that. Wee shame. 

Enjoy your win sonny your team ain't winning the league. 

It's the hope (and referees) that keep you thinking you may have a chance. 

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The Lundstram one is 100% a penalty, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise - it's out from his body and makes him bigger. Findlay one definitely isn't because it ricochets up off his own boot. I haven't seen the Mayo one again.

This is a very good Killie team, and we are not just doing smash and grab stuff against Rangers and Celtic now, but properly going toe to toe with them. We need to just keep going like this, because if we play the way we have in the last three games for the rest of the season then it could be a very memorable one.

I see Bobby Madden has given his take on the Lundstram penalty now, stating he believes there should’ve been an on field review given that Lundstram’s arm was tight to his body at the point of impact.

Not sure I entirely agree but would need to see it again.

The Lundstram one I thought the ball hit his arm whilst it was against his body in a "natural position", whatever the f**k that means now, and he swung his arm out after impact as he was turning.

But if it had been at the other end I'd have been screaming for a penalty, so, swings and roundabouts.

8 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Diomande's pull on Polworth looked a good shout for a red card to me.

Without question this should have been a red card.

Without the pull, the extra metre means Polworth is getting to the ball first.

A clear and obvious error as the pull prevented a genuine goal scoring opportunity.

Absolute mess by Dickinson, on the back of other controversial decisions on his part, the Donnelly penalty and Barasic avoiding a first yellow card by diving and grabbing the ball.

35 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

A clear and obvious error as the pull prevented a genuine goal scoring opportunity.

Absolute mess by Dickinson, on the back of other controversial decisions on his part, the Donnelly penalty and Barasic avoiding a first yellow card by diving and grabbing the ball.

I'm not entirely convinced it's a foul. I said after the match he could've been off had Polworth been brought down, but as it was, I don't think that contact is enough to impede the player to the extent of it being denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Edited by AJF

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The Lundstram one is 100% a penalty, I don't see how anyone can say otherwise - it's out from his body and makes him bigger. Findlay one definitely isn't because it ricochets up off his own boot. I haven't seen the Mayo one again.

This is a very good Killie team, and we are not just doing smash and grab stuff against Rangers and Celtic now, but properly going toe to toe with them. We need to just keep going like this, because if we play the way we have in the last three games for the rest of the season then it could be a very memorable one.

This is when the ball strikes lundstrams elbow, absolutely no way his arm is out

Screenshot_20240229-103247_X.jpg

You can literally see his hands poking out from his body, which means that his elbow is obviously going to be extended. He has jumped side on with that profile.

Edited by craigkillie

59 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

It's definitely a red card if he goes down, it's a very small tug and so I don't think there is a justification for VAR getting involved once it's not given, but if he just hits the deck the referee is 100% giving the foul and Diomande is gone.

The Donnelly penalty decision I am not convinced by at all, I don't think it's at all clear that he was fouled, he seemed to be on the way down and I think the Rangers player potentially beats him to the ball.

I don't see why the handball by Barisic would be a yellow card, he's just soft as shit rather than taking a dive, and the grabbing of the ball wouldn't be a yellow card offence since it was going out for a corner anyway and therefore he didn't prevent our player from getting to it. Even if he had been booked, this was before his other yellow card, so it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that it would have led to him being sent off later.

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's definitely a red card if he goes down, it's a very small tug and so I don't think there is a justification for VAR getting involved once it's not given, but if he just hits the deck the referee is 100% giving the foul and Diomande is gone.

The Donnelly penalty decision I am not convinced by at all, I don't think it's at all clear that he was fouled, he seemed to be on the way down and I think the Rangers player potentially beats him to the ball.

I don't see why the handball by Barisic would be a yellow card, he's just soft as shit rather than taking a dive, and the grabbing of the ball wouldn't be a yellow card offence since it was going out for a corner anyway and therefore he didn't prevent our player from getting to it. Even if he had been booked, this was before his other yellow card, so it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that it would have led to him being sent off later.

Not sure why you think Polworth has to go down for it to be a red card? It was a proper and deliberate tug of the jersey because he knew he had messed up.

The Barasic incident was definitely a dive and deliberate hand ball designed to deceive the officials. Deliberate hand ball, yellow card by the rules of the game.

I watched the full 90+ minutes on tv and Killie can be slightly aggrieved they took nothing from that game. I personally thought they played the better football and looked a really good strong outfit.

Diomande looked an overrated liability for the entire game and should have been sent off. He contributed very little and touch/passing poor. Barasic and Goldson are done.

Referee had an absolute howler I felt but I don't think either of Killies claims for a penalty were justified.

On that showing from Rangers its hard to say whether they are any better than Celtic. Going to be an interesting run in.

5 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

Not sure why you think Polworth has to go down for it to be a red card? It was a proper and deliberate tug of the jersey because he knew he had messed up.

The Barasic incident was definitely a dive and deliberate hand ball designed to deceive the officials. Deliberate hand ball, yellow card by the rules of the game.

I don't think he has to go down for it to be a foul, but I think the fact he stays up and is still able to go after the ball makes it less likely that the referee gives a foul. If he stops or goes down then the foul is made clearer.

"Deliberate handball" isn't a yellow card offence, it has to be preventing an opponent from gaining possession, which it wasn't.