DAFC v AUFC - The proverbial 6 pointer

An enjoyable afternoon, first time I’ve seen us win in the flesh since mid November. First 10-15 mins we were on it, and I was a bit concerned we’d missed our chance to get a goal as the majority of the half was the just a bit scrappy. Great time to get a goal, Hammy has no right winning that header I think he’s 4ft 8 or something but we know he can do it. Was saying to my mates what a great time to score it was, when Chris Kane took the ball off the defender and scored, even better.

Second half was fairly boring, pitch was poor infront of the main stand, really bobbly and cutting up which is just a result of weather and using the USH. Seems to be as soon as we use it once it takes ages to recover. It’s a shame because our pitch is normally really good all year round but it’s struggled since the the turn of the year.

First time I’ve seen us play Ayr in the flesh this season and I expected a tougher game but could have just been a blip. I know he’s a big loddie but the boy Dowds looked like he’d hired Mark Yardley as a nutritionist.

Thought Otoo had an off day yesterday, was still good but not his usual self. Hammy was solid again, Kane & Edwards very good, Hayes-Welch solid and got the sponsors MOM, but for me I’d have went with MFW, thought he was great, won everything in the air and done the basics right. Todd wasn’t at his best yesterday but didn’t have to be, which is good, we’re not solely relying on Matty, however he does add so much with those forward runs beyond the striker.

Great to see such a strong bench, must be the first time this season we’ve had those sort of options and it showed, I think we made 5 subs yesterday.

Edited by The Toun Clock

11 hours ago, AUcal said:

Imagine get riled after a victory because someone said your town has shite pubs.

A wee team mentality, imo.

City m8. 

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Has anyone checked on North West this morning? That perma rage when your team wins isn't healthy.

Fine cheers. Ayr, well beaten.

There was no rage, just pointing out about that irritating pillock and his repetitive worn out tripe about our fine toun. 

Just watched the highlights. Forgot about some of the chances we created. Matty Todd is just so good to watch when he’s on form. The difference he makes to our team is massive. Him in behind Kane works so well. Kane comes deep and draws defenders and Todd just runs into that space.

Was disappointed the highlights didn’t show Ayr’s diddy keeper trying to throw the ball to a teammate, but he ended up throwing it straight up in the air, then having to ‘handball’ it, to stop us scoring again. Think that summed up Ayr’s level of performance yesterday, to be honest. 

Highlights also reminded me of Mehmet making a great save after an Otoo error. He had a solid game and looks a lot more comfortable after the switch to the back 4. Think he made another really good save, in an incident that ended up getting pulled back for offside. No failures in our team yesterday, all 16 players used out in a decent shift. The tracking back from our wingers was really good to see, great commitment from them and I wasn’t surprised to see we had to change 5 of the 6 players in front of our defence - I was very glad we’re finally able to do that too!

Dowds is a terrible excuse for a footballer. The boy Chalmers ran riot at EEP earlier in the season, so I was surprised to see him on the bench. Having said that, he did nothing when he came on either.

10 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

The boy Chalmers ran riot at EEP earlier in the season, so I was surprised to see him on the bench. Having said that, he did nothing when he came on either.

Joe has better hair and is therefore a better player.

50 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

The boy Chalmers ran riot at EEP earlier in the season, so I was surprised to see him on the bench. Having said that, he did nothing when he came on either.

I was shocked when he didn’t start. I was in bang on kick off so didn’t get a chance to check the Ayr team. Wasn’t until half time I had a look at their subs and realised Chalmers, McGeady and the boy who scored twice in midweek were all available, which caused a bit of worry. Could see Chalmers was being readied to come on at HT but he hardly had a sniff. Edwards was really on it yesterday and he’s hard to beat when he’s like that. They switched Chalmers over to the left up against Welch-Hayes but he didn’t have a sniff there either.

59 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Just watched the highlights. Forgot about some of the chances we created. Matty Todd is just so good to watch when he’s on form. The difference he makes to our team is massive. Him in behind Kane works so well. Kane comes deep and draws defenders and Todd just runs into that space.

Was disappointed the highlights didn’t show Ayr’s diddy keeper trying to throw the ball to a teammate, but he ended up throwing it straight up in the air, then having to ‘handball’ it, to stop us scoring again. Think that summed up Ayr’s level of performance yesterday, to be honest. 

Highlights also reminded me of Mehmet making a great save after an Otoo error. He had a solid game and looks a lot more comfortable after the switch to the back 4. Think he made another really good save, in an incident that ended up getting pulled back for offside. No failures in our team yesterday, all 16 players used out in a decent shift. The tracking back from our wingers was really good to see, great commitment from them and I wasn’t surprised to see we had to change 5 of the 6 players in front of our defence - I was very glad we’re finally able to do that too!

Dowds is a terrible excuse for a footballer. The boy Chalmers ran riot at EEP earlier in the season, so I was surprised to see him on the bench. Having said that, he did nothing when he came on either.

A player with a goal every two games being a terrible footballer is peak Pie and Bovril hyperbole.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I was shocked when he didn’t start. I was in bang on kick off so didn’t get a chance to check the Ayr team. Wasn’t until half time I had a look at their subs and realised Chalmers, McGeady and the boy who scored twice in midweek were all available, which caused a bit of worry. Could see Chalmers was being readied to come on at HT but he hardly had a sniff. Edwards was really on it yesterday and he’s hard to beat when he’s like that. They switched Chalmers over to the left up against Welch-Hayes but he didn’t have a sniff there either.

Who is that in your profile picture? Is it Derek Ferguson? 

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Chalmers isn’t exactly hard to stop tbh. When he’s given time and space he’s very good but all it takes is someone to stick to him all game and he does very little. 

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Was baffled at him not getting a yellow at the least for this, I genuinely thought at the time it was a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity which would've made it a red but I wasn't entirely sure how close Kane was. 

58 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Was baffled at him not getting a yellow at the least for this, I genuinely thought at the time it was a denial of a clear goalscoring opportunity which would've made it a red but I wasn't entirely sure how close Kane was. 

Probably not DOGSO as Kane first touch would have been away from goal if he got there but even so it couldn’t be punished with a red.

There is a bit of a gap in the laws, they’ve tightened up playing the ball a 2nd time from a restart but not from the ball being in hand.

If the goalkeeper handles the ball inside their penalty area when not permitted to do so, an indirect free kick is awarded but there is no disciplinary sanction. However, if the offence is playing the ball a second time (with or without the hand/arm) after a restart before it touches another player, the goalkeeper must be sanctioned if the offence stops a promising attack or denies an opponent or the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity

Edited by parsforlife

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

A player with a goal every two games being a terrible footballer is peak Pie and Bovril hyperbole.

I can only really judge players based on games against us/what I’ve actually seen and he looked useless yesterday. Can’t remember him doing much in the other games against us. For a guy his size, he lost far more headers up against Chris Hamilton than he won and even when Otoo played him in one-on-one with Mehmet, he didn’t really look like someone that thought he was going to score. Unless you think he had a good game and I should be talking about how amazing he was?

21 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

No special reason mate, I forgot he’d played for us, quite fond of him on Open Goal podcast and just went for it. 

Fair does.

Glad it's not David Linaghin.

Quite surprised at the Ayr showing to be honest. I expected a lot more after their last few results and, going further back, the game at EEP in October. 

It's the Championship, so no point trying to make sense of anything.

Imagine asking a range of Morton fans what they thought of the Pars side this season. You'd get a fairly wide range of opinions depending on which game/combination of games they'd seen.

Edited by DA-go Par Adonis