Next Step(s)  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I dont think it would for this, but if a club were either relegated by a bad call or missed promotion to the top division by a bad call (will VAR be used in playoffs? Canny mind) and said club sues the SFA/SPFL for loss of income, that could be the proverbial straw

Any such attempt to sue would surely be laughed at given the easy argument that the suing club shouldn't have been so shit for the whole season.

I'd imagine that whatever the clubs sign up to each season includes accepting that the referee's decision is final, so suing is not likely to get a club far.

And it would be very difficult to "prove" legally that a decision had cost you the game.

40 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Any such attempt to sue would surely be laughed at given the easy argument that the suing club shouldn't have been so shit for the whole season.

It also wouldn’t make any sense as an argument to ditch VAR. 

If a club is saying their season hinged on a single refereeing decision then taking away an aid to decision making would surely be a backward step. The referees need more help, not less blah blah blah. 

The argument against VAR is much more fundamental and broad than the importance of any single decision. 

6 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'd imagine that whatever the clubs sign up to each season includes accepting that the referee's decision is final, so suing is not likely to get a club far.

And it would be very difficult to "prove" legally that a decision had cost you the game.

Although a trial where a donkey striker who misses an open goal and/or a bumbling defender who decides not marking his man at a corner is a good idea getting cross examined would be pretty comical.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Although a trial where a donkey striker who misses an open goal and/or a bumbling defender who decides not marking his man at a corner is a good idea getting cross examined would be pretty comical.

I think Bob Wilson gave evidence at the Bruce Grobbelaar trial. In Scotland it would surely be Rory Loy saying "He's got to do better there, for me".

Nothing yet. But my latest email was today.

I'd advise those who receive no reply to email Sportsound and/or the papers and mention that you contacted your club and received no response.

"As a season ticket holder, I was shocked and appalled" etc.

Sent mine off to Hibs this morning:

Spoiler

To whomever it may concern,

I hope this email finds you well.

[Supporter Liaison Officer], I've CC'd you into this email because, last time I wrote to the club on this issue, you were the only response I had.

We are approaching the two-year anniversary of Hibernian Football Club's statement, posted online on Monday 4th April 2022. The statement ended with the words:

"Hibernian FC strongly supports the introduction of VAR in the Scottish game."

As a former season ticket holder who is returning to Scotland between now and the start of the 2024/25 season, I would greatly appreciate if these three questions could be answered before I commit to purchasing an adult season ticket in the East Stand next season:

1) Based on the first eighteen months of VAR, does Hibernian FC still strongly support VAR in the Scottish game and, if so, what is the reasoning behind this?

2) Now that VAR has had a year and half to 'bed in' to the Scottish game, does the club plan on consulting with supporters to gather feedback on the impact VAR has had on their match-going experience?

(If yes, will any representative of the club be prepared to meet with myself and other supporters to discuss VAR's impact on the match-going experience?)

3) If the club were to receive feedback that suggests a majority of their supporters are dissatisfied with VAR, will the club be open to exploring options up to and including enacting a pause and/or a 'sunset clause' on VAR, at least until supporters' concerns have been properly addressed?

As I have mentioned in previous correspondence, Hibs have been a part of my life that I did not think I could ever go without. The introduction of VAR to the vast majority of Hibs' matches has damaged this strength of feeling and commitment considerably. It has reached a point where I am no longer certain that I will continue being able to justify putting money into the club.

I hope that my questions can be answered and, if necessary, we can begin looking at arranging a meeting in the summer – when I am back in the country. Alternatively, I would be happy to schedule a virtual meeting before then.

Yours sincerely,
x
(Client ref. xxxxx)

That's step one, but now it's time to go to the papers and Sportsound too.

On 18/03/2024 at 17:26, Desp said:

Agree.  I'd like to see Hearts, Motherwell & St. Mirren take the lead on this.  Providing the relevant Boards of the FOH, Well Society & whatever St. Mirren have are actually in favour of VAR or not.

It's one of the points I asked in my email to the WS.  I think there's 7 or 8 on the Board of the WS, so I'm keen to see if a majority of the Board are in favour of it or not.  If the majority of the Board aren't in favour, what's their plan? 

I suppose in a round about sort of way that's us made our position on VAR public.

"We are aware from the recent SFA announcement and from interaction with SPFL officials that a full review of VAR is ongoing and we have had input into that process. There are many potential consequences of some of these decisions, but we are most concerned that the inconsistency of decision making, regular lengthy VAR interventions during most games and lack of any clarity on why decisions have been made, is having a serious impact on fans’ enjoyment of the game.

The feedback we receive from our own fans on VAR is almost entirely negative and, if given a choice, we believe most would vote to no longer have it in use. It’s actually not easy to find anyone who either participates in football or watches it who is happy with the current position."

Link

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hard to have any sympathy when the club voted for it against the wishes of those fans two years ago, but it's a positive step nonetheless.

Absolutely. It has massive Leopards Eating People's Faces Party energy but as @Desp just said to Duncan on Twitter "Clubs realising they've made a c**t of it and now opening calling it how shite it is should be a good thing."

Edited by capt_oats

40 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hard to have any sympathy when the club voted for it against the wishes of those fans two years ago, but it's a positive step nonetheless.

I seem to remember that they said the majority of responses they got were actually in favour - but there was nothing even slightly representative about the whole exercise.

I think the point to concentrate on now is that we've all seen it in action for a sensible period of time and lots of people who (naively you could argue) believed that it would end "wrong" decisions and fix the standard of refereeing would now look at it differently if asked.

On 19/03/2024 at 19:23, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Emailed my club (Raith Rovers) today on behalf of our group of 7 ST holders. 

Thanks to the OP and colleagues for the kick up the arse! 

For some reason whenever i've seen Raith fans having a great time, last min winners etc. 

The first thing I think is... Just wait until they promoted. VAR is going to ruin it! :( 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

Posted (edited)

Motherwell have given us a lovely platform to build on there, thanks Steelmen.

My writing to Sportsound and the papers is going to use that as a way in to the conversation.

Simply put: why has no club properly consulted with their fans about VAR and are the (utterly minuscule) ‘benefits’ of improved accuracy in decisions worth the fans’ enjoyment of the game being spoiled?

ETA: genuinely, if you’re anti VAR and said you “canny be fucked” writing to them on this, we’ve got some momentum now. Simply send this part of that Motherwell statement and ask them, in light of what Motherwell have said about the overwhelmingly negative fan response to VAR, what your club’s stance is and whether they plan on asking the support.

IMG_9712.thumb.jpeg.0995fd7317aa4789a5eb91e26040db51.jpeg

Edited by HibsFan

Good on Motherwell, a very decent letter.

Will be instructive to see what the SFA actually do or say about this - probably dock Well 6 points for being lippy.

Email sent to St Johnstone, with reference to the Motherwell statement. 

Will try and message the BBC on my lunch break.