Next Step(s)  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

That was kind of why I suggested a petition in order to have something to share around social media etc.

Petitions are great. Hashtags are what help things go more viral. Both, I think, are the way forward. A petition can be used as overwhelming evidence too. Do you want to make one?

11 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Well...I take it this is your doing @RandomGuy.

I imagine it's probably something that  one of new media guys at Saints have gone to the Courier with "here's a wee exclusive for you". 

Both previously worked at the Herald and Perthshire advertiser(owned by the Record) doing sports coverage. Both Saints fans too and no doubt will hate VAR also.

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

14 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

I imagine it's probably something that  one of new media guys at Saints have gone to the Courier with "here's a wee exclusive for you". 

Both previously worked at the Herald and Perthshire advertiser(owned by the Record) doing sports coverage. Both Saints fans too and no doubt will hate VAR also.

:lol:

For avoidance of doubt I wasn't being entirely serious in asking if RG was behind it.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

I was actually going to put "please don't make it a shitey pun 😂".

Something simple like #fansfirst, perhaps.

There is a twitter page called fans against VAR or something already. Very much focused on English football and the boy could be a complete crackpot for all I know but I’m sure if there was a genuine Scottish movement against it, it might get some traction across the board. 

Ian Maxwell, Motherwell, St Johnstone, emails from FURIOUS P&Bers...

Momentum is gathering here. This is going to be like the fall of the Berlin Wall. People say it's impossible; unimaginable until it happens; BOOM!

VAR will be gone by next Wednesday imo. Someone handsome can play me in the film.

Edited by VincentGuerin

VAR will never be scrapped in Scotland as I believe it would prevent officials being able to take European and International matches that would use it.  It's frustrating as I reckon the majority of fans in Scotland would be in favour of scrapping it, but it won't happen while UEFA supports it.

Unfortunately the soul of the game has been sold for 5% more "accuracy".

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Surely that's the opposite of a downer, the guy I'm replying to is basically suggesting this is all a waste of time, I'm saying it isn't.

Was just about to back you up on that one!  I'm not usually a doom and gloom merchant but I fear VAR is here to stay.  Is there actually a precedent for this anywhere that we know of?  Has anyone in sport implemented anything on this scale and then scrapped it?  Would be interesting to know.

Due to other commitments I've only been able to make a handful of games per season post Covid but those commitments may be changing and, honestly, going to games with VAR and the effect it has on the experience is one of the biggest reasons I wouldn't get a season ticket again should I become able to. Well done @HibsFan for galvanising this in some way, I'll be writing to the club to that effect today and will follow up to Sportsound. 

Edited by GHF-23

16 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

Was just about to back you up on that one!  I'm not usually a doom and gloom merchant but I fear VAR is here to stay.  Is there actually a precedent for this anywhere that we know of?  Has anyone in sport implemented anything on this scale and then scrapped it?  Would be interesting to know.

I'm not an NFL expert, but I've read in a few places that they brought in video reviews but then binned them and went back to the drawing board. They did ultimately reintroduce them a few years later though.

Sent the below off to the club and SLO just now

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear XXXXX,

Hope this email finds you well. I am writing to you as a longstanding supporter of the club, which has been part of my family life since I first held a season ticket at 5 years old. Due to personal commitments in recent years I have been unable to attend as many games as I would like, but these commitments may be coming to an end and I am considering purchasing a Season Ticket for the 2024-25 season. Before doing so, I would like to hear the club's position on the continued use of VAR. I am writing as a long-term sceptic of the use of VAR in Scottish football, and wish to comment on its use generally rather than on specific instances of incorrect decisions made. I was extremely disappointed at the introduction of the system into Scottish football, having seen the effect it had in countries which were early adopters, and more so by the lack of proper consultation made by clubs including Hibs prior to its implementation here.

It is my feeling and, based upon my reading, the opinion of a clear majority of Scottish football supporters that the system is now deeply unpopular and has had an extremely negative impact on the match day experience. In my own experience of attending games where VAR was in use the enjoyment of attending a game of live football has been greatly diminished by excessive delays, lack of flow to the game and extremely marginal decisions being made which go against the promises made to supporters when VAR was introduced.

Not only that, the use of VAR can, in and of itself, have an outsized effect on the momentum of games. Again, I have no interest in debating the merit of the decision, but anyone who was at the League Cup semi final this year would testify to the swing in the momentum between the teams on the park and atmosphere between the 2 groups of fans in the stands when Martin Boyle's goal was disallowed after an extensive delay. 

I would be very interested to hear the Club's thoughts on the future of VAR - having previously been begrudgingly accepting of its continued use the below statement from Motherwell has shown that this is an area where clubs can speak out and start to organise towards change.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/03/20/statement-on-var-decision-against-aberdeen/

I would implore Hibs to adopt a similar position, and to return to my earlier point can say that a failure to take a stand on this would result in my being less likely to buy a season ticket now or in future - not through lack of love for the club I have supported my whole life, but as with the inclusion of VAR attending live football does not seem a worthwhile experience.

4 hours ago, stu2910 said:

The example from my lifetime that springs to mind is Golden (and Silver) Goal, which admittedly might not have been as widespread as VAR is, but nonetheless probably looked like a gimmick that was here to stay.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not an NFL expert, but I've read in a few places that they brought in video reviews but then binned them and went back to the drawing board. They did ultimately reintroduce them a few years later though.

Aye it was some point in the 80s I think. it came back better but even then it's a different game.