Longest Stretch in Tier 2/3/4

On 21/04/2024 at 18:00, tamthebam said:

The Shire were in the bottom division from the early 1980s until 2016 which is about 34 years. They came close to promotion once or twice during that spell but were mostly dugmeat. 

If only they could have hung on to that Ferguson who was manager.

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Were they not saved by the 10,000 seater rule at one point?

Or something similar?

Did they cleverly go into administration at a time when there were no points deductions either?

That IS impressive!

Motherwell are not nearly big time enough to be saved by the 10k seater rule. 

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

In terms of Scottish football, it's a wild fall which is probably unlikely to be replicated barring a team getting into financial difficulty which renders them uncompetitive over numerous seasons.

The case of Paderborn in Germany in the past decade is the most extreme example of the antithesis of this thread:
13/14 - 2nd in 2.Bundesliga, promoted
14/15 - 18th in Bundesliga, relegated
15/16 - 18th in 2.Bundesliga, relegated
16/17 - 18th in 3.Liga - should have been relegated but saved on a technicality because 1860 Munich lost their license and were demoted
17/18 - 2nd in 3.Liga, promoted
18/19 - 2nd in 2.Bundesliga, promoted
19/20 - 18th in Bundesliga, relegated

So not only a mad fall from grace between 13/14 and 16/17, but then back to back promotions to follow it (and then another relegation). They've finally calmed the f**k down and settled in the 2nd tier for the last 4 seasons.

The German side I keep an eye out for, Kaiserslautern, have had a similar rollercoaster. From top end 1. BL down to flailing around near the bottom of 3. BL, promotion last year, smashing it until the winter break, now unable to buy a win and likely to go back down again.

Just the small matter of a DFB Pokal Final this year though! (v Leverkusen)

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Or something similar?

Did they cleverly go into administration at a time when there were no points deductions either?

That IS impressive!

Seems like they were in administration at the same time as finishing bottom.

20 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It was worse than that. He wanted a 16 team League Two, with Celtic and Rangers "Colts" in it and allowed to be promoted, and no relegation for 2 years.

Pardon my ignorance, but is he still chairman?

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Or something similar?

That IS impressive!

Motherwell have evaded relegation twice during this not quite so impressive 40 year period - League Reconstruction saved them in 1986 and the 10,000 seater stadium rule in 2003. They recovered from administration with no points deduction the following season by offering better deals to two Thistle's players and then voting to waive the 10,000 seater rule and relegate Thistle.

Motherwell were also saved from relegation in 1955 by another League Reconstruction. I was expecting a League reconstruction proposal when they were in the relegation zone earlier this season.

An impressively establishment club!

10 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

Motherwell have evaded relegation twice during this not quite so impressive 40 year period - League Reconstruction saved them in 1986 and the 10,000 seater stadium rule in 2003. They recovered from administration with no points deduction the following season by offering better deals to two Thistle's players and then voting to waive the 10,000 seater rule and relegate Thistle.

Motherwell were also saved from relegation in 1955 by another League Reconstruction. I was expecting a League reconstruction proposal when they were in the relegation zone earlier this season.

An impressively establishment club!

They have been utterly shameless over the years.

38 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Pardon my ignorance, but is he still chairman?

No.

18 minutes ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

They recovered from administration with no points deduction the following season by offering better deals to two Thistle's players and then voting to waive the 10,000 seater rule and relegate Thistle.

I won't lie, but I find this hilarious.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Both of us came into the Championship the same season, we won League One and they won the play offs, we got promoted to the Premiership the following season through the play offs and they were relegated back to League One, then onto a downward spiral towards the trapdoor. I mention this because we beat them up there to go 13pts ahead of Alloa with 5 games to go, and one of their fans shouted enjoy promotion you'll be straight back down the following season. Football banter, you canny whack it.

We beat them 6-1 at the end of the season when they still needed points for a play-off place, then we contrived to lose to them in the play-off final.

I'm still not sure how they got promoted TBH, and they were worse the following season. Their star striker was Isaac Layne, who joined them after being way out of his depth playing for us in the Championship. Not sure what else their board thought would happen.

5 hours ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

They recovered from administration with no points deduction the following season by offering better deals to two Thistle's players and then voting to waive the 10,000 seater rule and relegate Thistle.

Correctly voting against continuing the protectionism of that rule did not help Motherwell in any way - indeed it made their chances of future relegation higher.

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

We beat them 6-1 at the end of the season when they still needed points for a play-off place, then we contrived to lose to them in the play-off final.

I'm still not sure how they got promoted TBH, and they were worse the following season. Their star striker was Isaac Layne, who joined them after being way out of his depth playing for us in the Championship. Not sure what else their board thought would happen.

Aye, I don't think they knew themselves how they got promoted, it was as much a shock to them, and they weren't really prepared for playing in the Championship. 

10 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

The German side I keep an eye out for, Kaiserslautern, have had a similar rollercoaster. From top end 1. BL down to flailing around near the bottom of 3. BL, promotion last year, smashing it until the winter break, now unable to buy a win and likely to go back down again.

Just the small matter of a DFB Pokal Final this year though! (v Leverkusen)

Pity your quite far away, The Kadikoi in Killie will be decked out in the K town colours for the final, you'd be among friends unfortunately all the German ones will be in Berlin that night 🤣