Longest Stretch in Tier 2/3/4

Across pyramid, ignoring single division leagues, do well to better Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale... been a senior club for 30 seasons, and spent 27 of last 28 in East of Scotland League Premier Division*.

*they won promotion from First Division in their 2nd season... got relegated by 1 place during the conference season of 2018-19... and promptly won promotion right back up to Premier Division in 2019-20, where they will appear again next season having finished comfortably top half

Edited by HibeeJibee

To sort of answer the original query:

Since we went to 4 tiers in 1994-95 the longest spell in 2nd tier without moving up or down is 10 years by QoS from promotion in summer of 2002 to relegation in 2012. A couple of teams have done 9, Falkirk and Morton.

The longest in the 3rd tier (and this surprised me) is Brechin who spent 11 years without going up or down from 2006 to 2017, when they got promoted into the championship. Tailed off a bit after that it's fair to say. Airdrie next best with 10 which ended last summer.

So Elgin quite comfortably in the lead albeit it still is harder to get out of the 4th tier in the wrong direction.

Morton have had the most seasons in the 2nd tier since that date with 22 and Forfar in the 3rd tier with 20 , but Forfar have never had more than 7 in a row in the third tier.

Edited by Fuctifano

3 hours ago, Radford said:

From when I started watching football, I think Stenhousemuir are the only ever-present (1989-2024) side to never reach the second tier.

Much like Stranraer, I was sure Stenny had been one of the occasional one-season wonders in the second tier in the early Nineties before we went to four leagues, but apparently this was all a dream  :wacko:

I should add that as Morton are safe this year, they will complete ten years in the 2nd tier next year to equal QoS, so if they don't go up or down in 24/25 then they will be the new holders of this very niche record. 

Surely Brechin going from the Championship in 2017-18 to the Highland League in 2021-22 will never be beaten? A highly impressive feat.

41 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Surely Brechin going from the Championship in 2017-18 to the Highland League in 2021-22 will never be beaten? A highly impressive feat.

Doubt even Pricey could have managed that.

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They could easily have done it a season quicker as well if it wasn’t for the play-offs being scrapped in 2020.

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

They could easily have done it a season quicker as well if it wasn’t for the play-offs being scrapped in 2020.

My word I didn't even realise The Rona gave them a years amnesty from their fall from grace.

14 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's often mentioned that Dundee United have a better head to head record against us due to the fact that we never really played them during our glory years and it was only as they had Jerry Kerr and Jim McLean tearing it up that we started playing each other more.

They must have spent a significant amount of time in the lower tiers up until say the 70s?

When was your glory years?

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

My word I didn't even realise The Rona gave them a years amnesty from their fall from grace.

Aye, I vaguely recall their chairman was trying to get the playoffs scrapped again the season they actually went down too. 

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Cowdenbeath gave it a good go.

I think that might become more common than you'd think - traditionally lower-league part-timers going into free-fall after a spell in the second tier and dropping through the leagues. It doesn't look likely right now, but that's my nightmare about Alloa - all it takes is poor decisions (or a rapacious shyster) in the boardroom and everything can fall apart at literally any of the part-time clubs.

Clyde have been hovering about the trapdoor for a while now; a traditionally top-tier club who were almost promoted there again twenty years ago, now struggling just to exist. No wonder they all went mad.

Edit: it's proving to be virtual exile too - the experience so far is that if you don't make it back before the two-season parachute payments end, you ain't coming back at all.

Edited by BFTD

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I vaguely recall their chairman was trying to get the playoffs scrapped again the season they actually went down too. 

He was aye, that's why it's particularly brilliant to see them failing to get out of the Highland League yet again, even if it's not the same chairman any more.

I know that I'm a boring old fart, but I'll never tire of the statistic that Hearts have never beaten either Rangers team at Hampden since it opened 121 years ago. 

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's often mentioned that Dundee United have a better head to head record against us due to the fact that we never really played them during our glory years and it was only as they had Jerry Kerr and Jim McLean tearing it up that we started playing each other more.

They must have spent a significant amount of time in the lower tiers up until say the 70s?

28 years in the 2nd tier from 1932 to 1960, minus 4 for the war where they no doubt embarrassed themselves as well. 

4 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

When was your glory years?

were*

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Of the current Premiership 12, St. Mirren, Celtic, Hearts, Dundee, Hibs, Motherwell and Aberdeen have never played in the 3rd or 4th tier.

Aberdeen and Celtic merit a mention for their 1000 year stints in the one league - Motherwell about to hit 40 years is another crazy long stretch. Aberdeen, Celtic & Motherwell have consequently got the fewest Challenge Cup appearances at zero each :)

On 21/04/2024 at 14:41, Coventry Saint said:

It's not exactly the same as what you're asking, but Dundee FC haven't won the Scottish Cup since 1910 (Nineteen-Ten). That's an astonishing 114 years.

On 21/04/2024 at 14:53, Derry Alli said:

It is. To bring it back to league chat (as was the OP's main target) its almost as bad as the fact a club like St Mirren has never won the top flight title.

Like - as in - not even one time. In almost 150 years.

FFS CS you walked straight into that one! 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

@Derry Alli That was the very definition of shooting fish in a barrel. 🤣

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Jim McIntyre "Hold my beer..." 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He was aye, that's why it's particularly brilliant to see them failing to get out of the Highland League yet again, even if it's not the same chairman any more.

I'd have loved Brechin to back to the SPFL to show that it can be done. Is there any team North of Dundee that you don't have an issue with?